Woman keep stealing my headphones! I need cans for my Mom.
May 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

WiR3D

We intend to hurt him...quite a bit. very_evil_smiley.gif
UPDATE just skip to here

UPDATE here

So Title says it all.
First by girlfriend keeps taking my D2k, so I buy her AKG K142HD, and she loves them, I bought the AKG K242HD for myself, and wow its a close match to the D2k. I made the mistake of showing my mom, and she jacked them to watch Game of Thrones in HD, was a bit of a struggle to get them back, and with her birthday around the corner, I figured why not.

So a set of cans for my mom, for movies, (she loved the K242hd, I am not impressed by their build quality.)
It will be getting powered through a fairly decent Yamaha receiver.
Comfort is important.

I was looking at the Q701 at Headroom, since they at quite a good price, would it be over kill? and what else would work?
I was thinking of D2k, but that would be a bit vain since I have one.

May 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 77
Quote:
If your mom really liked the K242's, then just get her those, that way you know she'll enjoy them. 

Fair point, but along that same line wont the Q701 be better for movies anyway?

May 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 77
Fair point, but along that same line wont the Q701 be better for movies anyway?

No, unless you want to get her an amp as well.

May 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 77
May 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 77
AFAIK K242 is actually more power hungry.

Can't tell if serious?
How would you know this without owning a pair?
I can assure you the k701/k702/q701 is just as hard if not harder to pair with a complement system and equally hard to drive.

May 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 77
Quote:
why don't you get yourself a d5000 since they are cheap now, easy to drive and soon will be out of production?

Because I just bought the D7k :p and I wanna mod the hell out of the K242, I smell potential. I had to sell my D2k to afford it tho...

Quote:
Can't tell if serious?
How would you know this without owning a pair?
I can assure you the k701/k702/q701 is just as hard if not harder to pair with a complement system and equally hard to drive.

No seriously have a look at the sensativity and power consumption figures, the K242 can be powered to an ok volume easily, but requires heavy juice to get anywhere near loud. And I have definately seen other people post to that same effect.

May 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 77
When I used the K701 to watch movies, I didn't really enjoy it as much as the HD650 or the D2000. If she enjoyed K242 already, then why not get her something you know she already likes? Sure you may already own them, but you're buying them for HER birthday and not yours. lol.

May 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 77
Yeah i think I am going to do that, by popular vote I will get the K242hd.

I think its bass is the difference, its much more then on the K70x so explosions and such have more impact.

May 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 77
Because I just bought the D7k :p and I wanna mod the hell out of the K242, I smell potential. I had to sell my D2k to afford it tho...

No seriously have a look at the sensativity and power consumption figures, the K242 can be powered to an ok volume easily, but requires heavy juice to get anywhere near loud. And I have definately seen other people post to that same effect.

Sensitivity and power consumption figures?

Might as well consult your graphs instead of listening to any cans right?
The k701 can sound loud, but that doesn't have anything to do with how much efficiency you're getting out of it.
Once again, you can question my judgment, but the fact of the matter is I've owned both and sourced matched both.

As a fyi, the k242 is a joke in terms of "hard drive-ability" if it's satisfying you out of a stx.

May 7, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 77
Quote:
Sensitivity and power consumption figures?
Might as well consult your graphs instead of listening to any cans right?
The k701 can sound loud, but that doesn't have anything to do with how much efficiency you're getting out of it.
Once again, you can question my judgment, but the fact of the matter is I've owned both and sourced matched both.
As a fyi, the k242 is a joke in terms of "hard drive-ability" if it's satisfying you out of a stx.

Its fine then some other sources were wrong, which wouldn't be a first, and it then just shows how relatively easy the D2k is to drive. 
But it seems I'm going to get her the k242hd anyway

May 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 77
right there has been a new development. She is obviously hinting she wants a pair.

But the requirements have changed, she wants to use them while working around the house, and the K242 dont isolate well at all for the vacuum cleaner.

So the new requirements are:
  1. very good sound stage and imaging for movies,
  2. balanced sound, I know my mom dislikes heavy bass, but still likes good impact in movies.
  3. must have good isolation from outside noise.
  4. Must be able to be powered off of a Yamaha amplifier (and probably a Hisound RoCoo or Studio at a later stage)
  5. interchangable or shortish cable would be nice, but not a problem
  6. price is not really a problem, but looking for good value.
  7. EDIT: Comfort: min 2 hours straight.

I was thinking K550?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back