Woman dies from water intoxication stemming from a radio contest
Jan 19, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #46 of 70
Boxing which considered as dangerous sport, it has medic and referee to stop any boxer to prevent serious unnecessary injury. A contest, sports, match is to test someone's limit. You'll never know your limit unless you tried.
Those dj have been warned and chose to ignore & make fun of it. I'll say bury them alive.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #48 of 70
I think that those of you who are placing the responsibility of knowing the risks entirely on the woman who died are neglecting to take into consideration the fact that the radio station apparently made representations to the contestants about the health risks. For example, apparently the woman was told that she would throw up if her body couldn't handle the water.

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the DJ said that she signed a contract that said the radio station isn't accountable for any injuries?

well they also informed the contestants and ensured that the natural response to inducing too much water would be throwing up, presuming a certain sense of safety and false sense of precaution to the matters safetey. This type of reconciling on a "rockety surgean" idea like this may be in part why the radio station had as many willing applicants to begin with. In all is a shame no matter whom's at fault, the contest should not have been approved, executed, nor encouraged over the air.

I guess some here never got a NES, rare GI Joe, or some other special something that required a loved one to go outside the normal parameters of gift retrieval; at least posts like these would indicate such
plainface.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd have to be a pretty uneducated dope to not know that you can intoxicate yourself with an over-exposure to water. It's common sense.

This is completely the woman's fault. If she didn't know that this could potentially kill her, she probably had no business participating. I am very saddened by the loss of a life, but in no way should a radio station be held responsible for one person's lack of common sense.

Exactly. Even if you didn't know, after she won the tickets, she shoulda induced vomiting to rid herself of that huge belly of water, just for the sake of being comfortable. The DJ's said she looked prego there was so much water in her stomach...

So...RIP that she passed away, but it was pretty stupid of her not to vomit all that water out after she won...

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #51 of 70
This is truly horrifying.

You can't sponsor life-threatening contests for prizes; it's unethical. Providing incentives for individuals to compromise their own safety is socially irresponsible (NOTE: I realize society regularly adopts double standards in applying this policy, but I believe it is the correct position to take).

I believe that some of the members here suffer from a case of presumed social irresponsibility which I suspect is inherited from youth.

-Matt

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. Even if you didn't know, after she won the tickets, she shoulda induced vomiting to rid herself of that huge belly of water, just for the sake of being comfortable. The DJ's said she looked prego there was so much water in her stomach...

So...RIP that she passed away, but it was pretty stupid of her not to vomit all that water out after she won...

Your understanding of human biology is so specious that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. She was already dying from osmotic shock after consumption of a gallon...she just wasn't dead yet. This is the same way Vibrio cholerae kills you (except it works through dehydration).

Just FYI the next time you drink, your BAC does not decrease when you vomit because alcohol rapidly enters your bloodstream. Ethanol readily diffuses across membranes without active transport. In general, your BAC goes up following vomiting through further concentration.

Sorry, I can't tolerate this idiocy from the "know-it-all's" (i.e. know-nothings).

Please think or read before you write or say anything.

I'm out of here,

Matt

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How far does this line of thinking go? If someone is walking out to their car at night, do they deserve to be attacked because they had it coming? If you forget to lock your windows, do you deserve to be burgled? If you go hunting, and a firearm discharges, did you have it coming? If you do anything risky, from riding a bike, to riding a horse, and somehow kill yourself, did you deserve it?

What someone 'deserves' is far, far different than determining legal 'fault'. If course neither this woman, nor the people in your hypotheticals 'deserve' bad things to happen to them. Red herring, imo. Quote:

How can one party take all blame, and the other take none?

But that is exactly what litigation determines in a suit like this.

While I am saddened by the tragedy, I find ours a society quicker to resort to litigation after the fact, than to perform due diligence & take personal responsibility before hand.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #54 of 70
Really, really bad idea for a contest. I would put a large percentage of the fault on the DJs, and I think it's less along the lines of a mistake or ignorance and more along the lines of willful negligence / disregard for safety.

Anyone know whether they can be held legally liable for this? My thoughts, based off nothing in particular, is that the release isn't sufficient in a case like this (after all a contract for murder can't be enforced...), but I have very little legal knowledge so I'd like to know what the relative authorities think.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, really bad idea for a contest. I would put a large percentage of the fault on the DJs, and I think it's less along the lines of a mistake or ignorance and more along the lines of willful negligence / disregard for safety.

Anyone know whether they can be held legally liable for this? My thoughts, based off nothing in particular, is that the release isn't sufficient in a case like this (after all a contract for murder can't be enforced...), but I have very little legal knowledge so I'd like to know what the relative authorities think.

the comments i've heard from some of the media's legal experts say that in this case those waivers the contestants sign mean nothing and that the djs can be charged with involuntary manslaughter (iirc). one cannot sign a waiver for their life. especially in light of the various comments that the djs made on air and the warnings that they received they exhibited a wanton disregard for the safety and welfare of the folks that they invited, encouraged, egged on and made fun of. those guys are toast. they had at least an inkling of the dangers and neither conveyed it to the contestants, who they encouraged to disregard their safety, nor made provisions for any sort of medical attention or oversight.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #56 of 70
What do you expect from FM DJ's? They are the biggest reason I don't listen to FM anymore.

I see water intoxication fairly frequently at my hospital, and the vast majority keep drinking water b/c of their underlying psychiatric illness.

As far as "ignorance" of the public, they are no longer ignorant of this issue, are they?

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just FYI the next time you drink, your BAC does not decrease when you vomit because alcohol rapidly enters your bloodstream. Ethanol readily diffuses across membranes without active transport. In general, your BAC goes up following vomiting through further concentration.

Matt

Off topic, but if not because it makes your BAC go down, then what is it about vomiting that makes you feel better?

As far as the radio contest goes, the DJs are almost wholly responsible. They appear to have had some knowledge of the dangers of this contest, yet decided not to relate them to the contestants and even to joke about them. They made no provisions for the contestants' safety.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic, but if not because it makes your BAC go down, then what is it about vomiting that makes you feel better?

As far as the radio contest goes, the DJs are almost wholly responsible. They appear to have had some knowledge of the dangers of this contest, yet decided not to relate them to the contestants and even to joke about them. They made no provisions for the contestants' safety.

if your body feels sick vomiting is a natural reflex no? I doubt you feel better because your BAC goes down, more like you have satisified the barf reflex.

and I agree with you, the DJ's behavior is disgusting and completely unsurprising. Even with the local FM stations here, all they do is make fun of people and have a laugh at peoples expense, they come off to be real A-holes. Acting like a unsympathetic jerk does not make you funny or sound cool on the air..
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see water intoxication fairly frequently at my hospital, and the vast majority keep drinking water b/c of their underlying psychiatric illness.

Is water intoxication treatable? What's the usual prognosis?

Jan 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teens at "rave" parties die from the use of Ecstasy or other drugs being passed off as Ecstasy not from drinking too much water.

Researchers have speculated that Ecstasy somehow suppresses the body's ability to sense dramatic increases in its own temperature, leading the heart to over-pump and overheat the body; some also suspect that the deaths might be largely due to impure Ecstasy cut with amphetamines, which are known to increase users' heart rates.

Nope.

Dehydration is the number one cause, followed by water intoxication, heart-related problems are incredibly rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mdma

http://thedea.org/statistics.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back