Wolfson's 8740 DAC
Oct 22, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks
Sorry,I'm half scottish,never was very good in school.

Technically so am I - my Mum was Scottish, though I always consider myself English having been born in England and lived in England most of my life.

Oct 22, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Technically so am I - my Mum was Scottish, though I always consider myself English having been born in England and lived in England most of my life.

On the same note being American means the transformation into the big melting pot.Point being we all must live as one or perish as one.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Hi Dr,my thoughts exactly.Jeess,I wasn't born yesterday.Anyway,I'm using it as a transport to my Senn HD 650 with Cardas cable.I currently own the Creek 21se amp which I found as a good match.Although I was using the CA 640c as my transport.How do you rate this amp and do you think possibly a tube design of some sort.This is of course is once I use the Creek with the Saturn.

I have no experience with the Creek amp. I dislike solid state - too lean in the tone body (true of any SS amp but also true in some tube amps).

My favorite is a tube preamp with a solid state amp - if matched well you get the best of SS and tubes in one - full and naturally rich timbre (tone body) with good detail and 3-D imaging of separated tones (from tone edge resolution that contrasts the tone edge from the empty space surrounding the tone). My Bada PH12 provides this for me.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

On the same note being American means the transformation into the big melting pot.Point being we all must live as one or perish as one.

To some extent, but no force on earth will get me to refer to "American" Football as Football and Association Football as "Soccer"
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
To some extent, but no force on earth will get me to refer to "American" Football as Football and Association Football as "Soccer"
evil_smiley.gif

Both fans of soccer and football act animals don't they.Where straying of the topic here.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I have no experience with the Creek amp. I dislike solid state - too lean in the tone body (true of any SS amp but also true in some tube amps).

My favorite is a tube preamp with a solid state amp - if matched well you get the best of SS and tubes in one - full and naturally rich timbre (tone body) with good detail and 3-D imaging of separated tones (from tone edge resolution that contrasts the tone edge from the empty space surrounding the tone). My Bada PH12 provides this for me.

Thanks,I'll look into the Bada PH12 as an option.Also how do you like your Saturn as a transport?It's replacing my CA 640c v1 soon.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
I chalk it up to chauvinism (possibly currency games): all three (and only these two CD player manufacturers that I've seen) companies are Brit. Why buy BB/Cirrus/USofA when you can shop at home? Beyond that: there are maybe 6 fab factories on the planet, a few CAD programs used by silicon designers, and the spec for a DAC is well known. I strongly suspect that the performance difference among a DAC shipper's offerings is far greater than the difference among different shippers, at a price point. It's settled design.

Maybe of all the DAC chips they tried, the designers thought this was the best performing regardless of geographic source.

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

I quess what I ment to say is are you using the internal DAC on the Saturn.

Yes.

I believe the Wolfson is a recent design compared to other DACs.

Generally the more recent is superior - not always, of course.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Yes.

I believe the Wolfson is a recent design compared to other DACs.

Generally the more recent is superior - not always, of course.

Thanks,appreciate it.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 28
I know the Wolfson is a voltage out DAC with the I/V performed on the chip. This is very cost effective for a CD manufacturer, but not the best design. The filter components used after this DAC's output seems to be the critical factor in which implementation is better than the others.

-David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back