Wolfson's 8740 DAC
Oct 20, 2006 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Fairbanks

100+ Head-Fier
I've been noticing that alot of CD players are using this DAC.My Cambridge Audio 640c v1 is one of them.I was eyeing new Rega Saturn which I believe uses two of them.However,It's very expensive.My thinking is this, that maybe the Saturn is just a super modified CA 640c in certain aspects since their both using the same DAC.I'm kind of stabbing in the dark on this one so maybe some people could enlighten me on this .Thanks

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 28
i'm just speculating, but my guess is that the Saturn also has a beefier power supply, better analog stage and a more well-damped chassis than the 640c.

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 28
Thats like saying that the Ford Mustang must be nothing more than a modified version of the Chrysler Neon because they use the same electronic ignition system. V8 vers 4cyl / one dac vers two dacs. I DON'T THINK SO.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Is there any memory on that DAC?

The Apollo as does the Saturn both have "ultra high memory capacity" meaning error correction doesn't affect the sound.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm (here's the link with more info on the Saturn) I am not familiar with that dac either.

Thanks for the link,I have one comming in a few days.Sorry for my silly asumptions,Of course you get what you pay for.Thanks

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 28
That's just marketing speak really. Providing the error correction can correct the sample before the next one is expected there will be no skipping, and while the signal is still within the player jitter can be eliminated.

As always implimentations on all devices varies. The use of a certain DAC chip contributes only a small part of the sound.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks
I've been noticing that alot of CD players are using this DAC.My Cambridge Audio 640c v1 is one of them.I was eyeing new Rega Saturn which I believe uses two of them.However,It's very expensive.My thinking is this, that maybe the Saturn is just a super modified CA 640c in certain aspects since their both using the same DAC.I'm kind of stabbing in the dark on this one so maybe some people could enlighten me on this .Thanks

Saturn: Superb power supply, class A output stage, superior laser reading, and most importantly, great software for digital data processing.

The DAC is only one aspect among others - all are important.

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 28
I chalk it up to chauvinism (possibly currency games): all three (and only these two CD player manufacturers that I've seen) companies are Brit. Why buy BB/Cirrus/USofA when you can shop at home? Beyond that: there are maybe 6 fab factories on the planet, a few CAD programs used by silicon designers, and the spec for a DAC is well known. I strongly suspect that the performance difference among a DAC shipper's offerings is far greater than the difference among different shippers, at a price point. It's settled design.

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Saturn: Superb power supply, class A output stage, superior laser reading, and most importantly, great software for digital data processing.

Hi Dr,my thoughts exactly.Jeess,I wasn't born yesterday.Anyway,I'm using it as a transport to my Senn HD 650 with Cardas cable.I currently own the Creek 21se amp which I found as a good match.Although I was using the CA 640c as my transport.How do you rate this amp and do you think possibly a tube design of some sort.This is of course is once I use the Creek with the Saturn.

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
I chalk it up to chauvinism (possibly currency games): all three (and only these two CD player manufacturers that I've seen) companies are Brit. Why buy BB/Cirrus/USofA when you can shop at home? Beyond that: there are maybe 6 fab factories on the planet, a few CAD programs used by silicon designers, and the spec for a DAC is well known. I strongly suspect that the performance difference among a DAC shipper's offerings is far greater than the difference among different shippers, at a price point. It's settled design.

I'm trying to understand what your trying to get accross.You said "when you can shop at home".Do you know of any American made CD player's in the Saturn's price range.Where I'm from all there are Best Buy's and Circuit city's.On the same point my car is German made and not American made.I hope I understand you right.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

I'm trying to understand what your trying to get accross.You said "when you can shop at home".Do you know of any American made CD player's in the Saturn's price range.Where I'm from all there are Best Buy's and Circuit city's.On the same point my car is German made and not American made.I hope I understand you right.

OK. The two manufacturers are Brit. The DAC maker is Brit. Do any manufacturers that are not Brit use the DACs?? None that have been mentioned. Since the wherewithal to design a DAC (and get it fabbed, by others of course) is available to all who are interested, and that, I surmise, the differences in DAC performance are intentional (i.e. a BB piece exists at equivalent cost [not necessarily UK price] to the Wolfson) then it follows that the motiviation to the mentioned manufacturers to use the Wolfson DAC is not technical.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

Indeed. The EMU 0404 and my Stello DA220 have the same DAC, but I doubt many would find them to sound the same.

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
OK. The two manufacturers are Brit. The DAC maker is Brit. Do any manufacturers that are not Brit use the DACs?? None that have been mentioned. Since the wherewithal to design a DAC (and get it fabbed, by others of course) is available to all who are interested, and that, I surmise, the differences in DAC performance are intentional (i.e. a BB piece exists at equivalent cost [not necessarily UK price] to the Wolfson) then it follows that the motiviation to the mentioned manufacturers to use the Wolfson DAC is not technical.

I thought the Wolfson 8740 DAC was from a scottish manufacture.I'm still lost.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

I thought the Wolfson 8740 DAC was from a scottish manufacture.I'm still lost.

Sigh - Scotand is part of Britain, it is the northern neighbour of England , though some English and perhaps more Scots might prefer if it were otherwise
wink.gif

provinces-of-britain.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Sigh - Scotand is part of Britain, it is the northern neighbour of England , though some English and perhaps more Scots might prefer if it were otherwise
wink.gif

provinces-of-britain.gif

Sorry,I'm half scottish,never was very good in school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back