Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
May 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #61 of 947
Quote:
its a waste of money i mean the note isnt a bad phone..... and the S3 dosent have a stylus

Me holding the S3 and doing some browsing will be the deciding factor, and some flac tracks to test, and compare.

May 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #62 of 947
Will this have better SQ than say a clip+ do you guys think...assuming its the same SQ as a SGS (cant find any comparrisons) I´ll be using a ZO2 with it 

Cheers guys 

May 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #63 of 947
Quote:
Will this have better SQ than say a clip+ do you guys think...assuming its the same SQ as a SGS (cant find any comparrisons) I´ll be using a ZO2 with it 

Cheers guys 

No one can say until the phone is out and a proper review is available.

The clip+ has very good SQ and so is SGS with voodoo kernel. I personally find ppl are often over optimistic when it comes to something they highly anticipated. There is more to SQ then just just DAC itself, and "Wolfson" not nesscessary guarantee better sound quality than, say a Yamaha DAC. In SGS' case, it is the Voodoo kernel that really brought Wolfson (stock SGS sounds medicore at best) to the top verse other "cellphones" , comparing to dedicated DAP is another story. Again, there are many other variables beside DAC & kernel that will contribute to SQ... one shortcoming of most cellphone is limitation of cap and opamp, especially when you consider SGS III is 8.6mm thick.

I have owned many mobile devices and can tell you SGS sounds very good for a cellphone but definately not "blown away" good when you tried a dedicated DAP. In my opinion, it perform on the same level as iPhone 3G, iPod 5G (both Wolfson I think), but certaintly not as good as midrange Cowons or Hifiman DAP when playing properly mastered lossless source file on a decent pair IEM or headphone.

My guess is SGS III will offer top SG in cellphone category but still falling short when it comes to high-def source file with decent pair of IEM or headphone. For ppl only interested in playing mp3 with bundled earphones, most cellphone will properly sound as good as $2k desk amp.

May 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #64 of 947
Quote:

No one can say until the phone is out and a proper review is available.

The clip+ has very good SQ and so is SGS with voodoo kernel. I personally find ppl are often over optimistic when it comes to something they highly anticipated. There is more to SQ then just just DAC itself, and "Wolfson" not nesscessary guarantee better sound quality than, say a Yamaha DAC. In SGS' case, it is the Voodoo kernel that really brought Wolfson (stock SGS sounds medicore at best) to the top verse other "cellphones" , comparing to dedicated DAP is another story. Again, there are many other variables beside DAC & kernel that will contribute to SQ... one shortcoming of most cellphone is limitation of cap and opamp, especially when you consider SGS III is 8.6mm thick.

I have owned many mobile devices and can tell you SGS sounds very good for a cellphone but definately not "blown away" good when you tried a dedicated DAP. In my opinion, it perform on the same level as iPhone 3G, iPod 5G (both Wolfson I think), but certaintly not as good as midrange Cowons or Hifiman DAP when playing properly mastered lossless source file on a decent pair IEM or headphone.

My guess is SGS III will offer top SG in cellphone category but still falling short when it comes to high-def source file with decent pair of IEM or headphone. For ppl only interested in playing mp3 with bundled earphones, most cellphone will properly sound as good as $2k desk amp.

Thats exactly what ive been fearing, in no way do i think it will compare SQ wise to my Sony Z1060, amazing DAP, I just dont use portable gear as much as I used to now so I know it will be a downgrade but Im hoping not THAT much, I used to have the iPod 5.5g and the Sony is just soooo much better so dunno if i will be able to downgrade that much :frowning2:

Has anyone had any experience with a Clip+ and SGS?

Cheers all

May 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #65 of 947
I prefer the voddoo'd SGS over my clip by far, simply for the strong amp the SGS has. Drives my AKG K240 S like it's nothing while they are barely audible with the clip. There's only one situation where i'de pick the clip over the SGS and that's when jogging.
Don't ask me to compare both sources SQ wise because i suck at this. Any difference I hear between sources could be disregarded due to volume mismatch. Lets just say I feel that the SGS has more "body" over the clip.

May 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #66 of 947
Quote:
I prefer the voddoo'd SGS over my clip by far, simply for the strong amp the SGS has. Drives my AKG K240 S like it's nothing while they are barely audible with the clip. There's only one situation where i'de pick the clip over the SGS and that's when jogging.
Don't ask me to compare both sources SQ wise because i suck at this. Any difference I hear between sources could be disregarded due to volume mismatch. Lets just say I feel that the SGS has more "body" over the clip.

Ok thanks allot when using easy to drive IEM´s will the sound difference still be big? I hate explaining differences in sound too haha :D 

May 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #67 of 947
Quote:
To the person asking about the HTC One X DAC - which version of the One X are you talking about?

The DAC isn't known for any of them, but I have the international One X and the sound quality is bloody average. The AT&T One X uses the Krait S4 and it's likely to have better sound quality than the international One X going by the the audio quality of the One S which also uses the Krait (GSMarena have RMAA recordings for both, FWIW). Even that is very likely going to be inferior to the S3, especially once Supercurio releases Voodoo Sound for it. If sound is the key differentiator for you then the choice is very likely going to be straightforward, although as others have said it'll be a while before we know for sure.

In relation to TouchWiz, as others have said, just replace it with a launcher from the Market, I use Nova myself (Apex is good too). I've never understood why people factor in the stock UI so strongly in their phone buying decisions when it comes to Android phones when you can just change it.

It is likely that the U.S. version with have the DAC built-in to the Krait SoC.  I suspect that the HTC One X and SGS3 will both have the same DAC in this case.  I wonder how long before we find out.

May 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #68 of 947

I am surprised that SGS is able to drive k240 while still retain details. Since I never plug anything other than IEMs, I am going to take your words for it :)

Clip+ is designed around low impedance IEMs don't work well or work at all with monitor cans. But it has an advantage with high sensitive IEMs such as se530, 535 as almost all cellphones are prone to electric background interface / background hiss.

SQ can be a broad term which meaning different stuff to different ppl. To me, SGS sounds very similar to my iphone 3G, decent amount of detail while not too colorful.

Do you realize that this means we can no longer say "Search the forums" to newbies? argh! And I think the time is off...its 2 hours off for me.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

May 10, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #69 of 947
Quote:
Samsung Galaxy S3, secrets revealed: Battery life, exFAT......................

exFAT support

One tiny aspect of the S III announcement that caught my eye was the specific mention that the S III supports micro SD cards up to a 64GB capacity. Now obviously this is not news to me, I've been using 64GB cards in my Android devices since a few days after they were released. The noteworthy thing here is that it's the first time an OEM has actually said their device supports more than 32GB cards. The reason? The S III has a proprietary Samsung exFAT kernel driver, as revealed by Supercurio's analysis. It might not be immediately apparent, but that's very good news.

Finally, unadulaterated support for SDXC​

You see while the 64GB micro SDXC cards work in basically every Android device, they generally only work when formatted to Fat32 rather than the SDXC standards native exFAT formatting system (several devices on ICS work with them formatted NTFS now also, but as a general rule Fat32 is the only option). The problem here is that when you use of these cards Fat32 formatted you impose a 4GB file size limit on them, which can be hassle for transferring HD video to your device, and even worse you curtail the stellar read and write speeds available in the SDXC standard. I for one can't wait to format my 64GB card to exFAT for unrestricted use in my S III.

Any idea if SGS on CM7 can take a 64GB micro-SD?

May 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #71 of 947
Quote:

Any idea if SGS on CM7 can take a 64GB micro-SD?

You can use 64GB microsd cards on any SGS firmware not just CM7 but the card has to be formatted in fat32, so if you wonder in CM7 adds exFAT support - it doesn't, so you're still stuck at the 4GB file size limit.
Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm glad they brought back wolfson coz I've been using my SGS for almost 2 years now and was just wondering what to get this summer when my contract expires but now it's a no-brainer.

May 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #72 of 947
OH MY GOD

I just died and went to heaven

It supports up to 64GB microSD, and is available in a 64GB ROM. Plus Wolfson DAC. Plus it's a galaxy. I could cry for joy.

Which chipset is the Wolfson in? The quad-core Exynos? Because that version ALLEGEDLY won't be coming to the USA. If this is the case then I will be buying the non-US version.

May 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #74 of 947
You have to root it anyways, that is assuming you want to get the most out of it audio-wise. Voodoo Sound requires root access and gives Wolfson-bearing Android devices a whole host of extra features that won't be included in stock firmware. And once it's rooted, it's a simple process of installing Clockwork Mod Recovery, putting a new rom and the Google Apps zip on your SD, and a few extra steps to flash any rom you like. CyanogenMod builds are usually the most popular, and CM9, the CM build for Android 4.0, is already running and stable on mutiple devices, including my own G2x :) And CM builds do not use TW, they are usually stock Android, which is awesome because stock ICS/4.0 is both elegantly designed and very simple.

Rooting really isn't that hard, I don't know any kind of coding languages or have any kind of development skills at all, and yet I've successfully rooted 5 phones, 4 of which I've flashed alternate roms onto. I even did it the hard way, without a One-Click Root tool, on my first time rooting, and it only took a couple hours of searching the web and browsing XDA forums to get it all figured out. The most recent time I've rooted a phone, I had the phone rooted and flashed with a new rom in under an hour.
Quote:
Thanks for the info Dubbed
I'm tempted with this phone but I really hate Sammy's TouchWiz. I already have a iPod Touch and an iPod Classic and was hoping to get a handset with pure Android on it to see what all the fuss was about. Hey Dubbed, I've seen some of your videos and it's obvious you're an Android fan. Are you by any chance running your current handset using the VooDoo Audio app and if so does it really make that much of a difference? From what I've read HTC and Sammy are known for good handsets but aren't known for great sound. What's your opinion on all this? As I indicated I already I have an iPod Touch and really don't want an iPhone. I wanted to give something different a shot and HTC with their Beats Audio crap turns me off and Samsung's TouchWiz is also a bit of a turn off. I've even thought of going with a Windows 7 phone but I'm concerned I'll be limited with mobile amp pairing (double amping) and the available handsets audio quality. I could always get whatever Android handset I choose rooted but with my luck I'll probably brick the silly thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back