Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
May 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #31 of 947
Quote:
Thanks, my question was concerned with specifications only; whether the HTC One X has a similarly specified DAC or not. I see that the HTC One X has the words 'Beats Audio' emblazoned on the rear so hopefully this 'enhancement' can be disabled. The audio quality of the S2 has been hindered by the Yamaha DAC which (on my S2 at least) causes a faint hiss when used with IE80 or M-80 headphones. This doesn't occur on my iPod Touch 4.

I don't know what the HTC one has but the s3 has a wolfson, which is like the s1, better than the s2's SQ - that was one of the reasons why i never got the s2.

May 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #32 of 947
Quote:
Wolfson DAC confirmed by Supercurio

Audio codec:

Wolfson Micro WM1811 http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM1811/
100dB SNR Class W Heapdhone amp output, ReTune DSP, 3x digital interface.
Like WM8994 in Galaxy S / Nexus S, except:
1x stereo DAC instead of 2x.
2x 2W Speaker amp instead of 2x 1W
Smaller and probably cheaper, same sound quality expected.

Audio driver configuration & policy implementation based on TinyUCM (/etc/tinyucm.conf)
Probable subset of TinyHAL implementing codec configuration in config files instead of having everything hardcoded in ROM or kernel driver at compile time.

Native sampling rate: 44100 Hz. It means music played will be sent as-is to the DAC instead of being processed by a software up-sampling routine as it is on Galaxy Nexus or other devices with codecs accepting only 48000 Hz.

AWESOME.

damn MUST. RESIST 

May 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #33 of 947
If anyone can confirm that USB Audio works, I will IMMEDIATELY buy one.

Kojaku

May 5, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #35 of 947
Quote:

This will have TW4.0.
It will be running on ICS.

Thanks for the info Dubbed
I'm tempted with this phone but I really hate Sammy's TouchWiz. I already have a iPod Touch and an iPod Classic and was hoping to get a handset with pure Android on it to see what all the fuss was about. Hey Dubbed, I've seen some of your videos and it's obvious you're an Android fan. Are you by any chance running your current handset using the VooDoo Audio app and if so does it really make that much of a difference? From what I've read HTC and Sammy are known for good handsets but aren't known for great sound. What's your opinion on all this? As I indicated I already I have an iPod Touch and really don't want an iPhone. I wanted to give something different a shot and HTC with their Beats Audio crap turns me off and Samsung's TouchWiz is also a bit of a turn off. I've even thought of going with a Windows 7 phone but I'm concerned I'll be limited with mobile amp pairing (double amping) and the available handsets audio quality. I could always get whatever Android handset I choose rooted but with my luck I'll probably brick the silly thing.

May 5, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #37 of 947
Quote:
Thanks for the info Dubbed
I'm tempted with this phone but I really hate Sammy's TouchWiz. I already have a iPod Touch and an iPod Classic and was hoping to get a handset with pure Android on it to see what all the fuss was about. Hey Dubbed, I've seen some of your videos and it's obvious you're an Android fan. Are you by any chance running your current handset using the VooDoo Audio app and if so does it really make that much of a difference? From what I've read HTC and Sammy are known for good handsets but aren't known for great sound. What's your opinion on all this? As I indicated I already I have an iPod Touch and really don't want an iPhone. I wanted to give something different a shot and HTC with their Beats Audio crap turns me off and Samsung's TouchWiz is also a bit of a turn off. I've even thought of going with a Windows 7 phone but I'm concerned I'll be limited with mobile amp pairing (double amping) and the available handsets audio quality. I could always get whatever Android handset I choose rooted but with my luck I'll probably brick the silly thing.

--Voodoo - makes a hell lot of difference, yes.
--I used to have an ipod touch myself, sold it, and now only have my SGS1 - it's much more customisable in every aspect. Removable battery is what really cuts the deal.
--Samsung is known as good sound - look up the sgs1's chip inside, and now the upcoming s3. S2 was the only one that didn't have good sound.
--I suggest the samsung, unless removable battery isn't an issue for you. For me, even with a single core, i rather have the option. now with quad core...battery is going to run out, and i don't want to be left iphone'ed out.
--Beats audio actually just boosts the bass a little, very hard tot ell the actual difference in SQ, unlike voodoo sound.
--W7 is limited in apps, check out my lumia 800 review (it even got published on nokia's site)
--SQ of the lumia 800 was worse than my s1

Long story short, you want a quad core, get the s3.
If you want wait till i get it.

I'm getting it, and already put my s1 for sale at around £150.

Quote:
I have my new phone right here! :)

new phone?
Well it ain't a s3 I can tell you that.
HTC One X then?

S3 ain't out till 28-30th of may.

May 5, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #38 of 947
Pardon the mess of questions but I just ran across this thread and I'm in the market for a new phone. anyone here know when this will be released in Canada and will this handset have Sammy's touchwiz? I'm asking because I'm not to fond of touchwiz and I'm hoping it doesn't so I don't have to scrounge the net for a good ROM to root the handset and install straight up Android?

Just get the Apex Launcher. Its an overlay, can be downloaded from the marketplace and be installed straight up. No rooting required.

May 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #39 of 947
Argh @ my SGS2!

Its the only thing I dont like about this phone.... and am envious of my wife and my old SGS1 w/ Voodoo...

Tempted with the SGS3...though might just get a Sansa Clip + for my music needs..

May 5, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #41 of 947
May 5, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #42 of 947
I hope this time around the output impedance is not too high!

May 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #45 of 947
Quote:
I'm not claiming I've already own the device. I'm just saying that this will be my new phone once its released. Sorry for the lack of detail regarding my post. heh

that makes 2 of us :)

Currently, in the UK play.com is the best place to buy it from, as it comes with some accessories (I'll be getting it unlocked)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back