Wohooo! My stax system arrived today!
May 5, 2003 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
Finally, my Stax 404 and 007t amp arrived today. And unfortunately, I'm not very impressed thus far (haven't listened yet). Nothing about it would suggest it's price tag.

The 404 headphones looked quite flimsy, made out of plastic and feels cheap. They just kinda flip flop around.

Nothing special about the amp either. It seems oddly shaped with its lenght/depth being much greater than it's width. I think the brown/gold color is just plain ugly. And they didn't even include a power cord with it.

The only thing I like so far is the Stax stand. I'm gonna let everything break in for a couple of hours with a cheap pc before having a first listen.

By the way... how does the RCA ouput work? Do I hook up my source into input 1 or 2 and then power amp to ouput?

May 5, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds

By the way... how does the RCA ouput work? Do I hook up my source into input 1 or 2 and then power amp to ouput?

They feed off a pre-amp output, right?

May 5, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 26
Not suer what you mean Mike. I have my cdp connected directly to the 007t. I thought the RCA output on the 007t are like a loop out, which would allow me to hook up another amp from there.

May 5, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Not suer what you mean Mike. I have my cdp connected directly to the 007t. I thought the RCA output on the 007t are like a loop out, which would allow me to hook up another amp from there.

Yes, sort of a passive(?) pass-through. What's your CDP?

May 5, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

I thought the RCA output on the 007t are like a loop out, which would allow me to hook up another amp from there.

If it's the same as with my SRM-T1 – yes, it's a loop out. And... congrats on your purchase! It will sound much better than it looks.
smily_headphones1.gif

peacesign.gif

May 5, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 26
I'm running my Stax off of my 20gig Ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

j/k... I'm using the Sony SCD-555ES with Zu cable warmouth silver IC.

As for the loop out, how do you choose it? There appears to be no switch for it.

By the way... took a little peak into the sound... "electrostats have no bass?" What you talkin 'bout, Willis? Plenty of deep quality bass that can be felt... emotionally. Also, can't find any harshness or edginess at all, maybe just a hint of twanging of steel strings. Overall, the sound is absolutely silky smooth and balanced from top to bottom with a hint of warmth. Yes, I did say "warmth". This system is not bright. For me, the Grado SR325 and RS2 are bright. Nothin really conclusive yet as it's too early to pick up all the little nuances.

May 6, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

As for the loop out, how do you choose it? There appears to be no switch for it.

By the way... took a little peak into the sound... "electrostats have no bass?" What you talkin 'bout, Willis? Plenty of deep quality bass that can be felt... emotionally. Also, can't find any harshness or edginess at all, maybe just a hint of twanging of steel strings. Overall, the sound is absolutely silky smooth and balanced from top to bottom with a hint of warmth. Yes, I did say "warmth". This system is not bright. For me, the Grado SR325 and RS2 are bright. Nothin really conclusive yet as it's too early to pick up all the little nuances.

Yes, the notion that Stax electrostatics are 'bright' is a misconception.

May 6, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

What is Ipod?

May 6, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 26
That is a pity you say they look and feel cheap. You would think for that price tag they would be well made. Fit and finish, to me, is very important with headphones. I mean, a speaker just sits and is rarely touched...but headphones are handled each time they are used. Any reports on how they hold up?

I'm also interested in how they sound, I hear they are magnificent.

Looking forward to your report,
-Chad

May 6, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Noesis
That is a pity you say they look and feel cheap. You would think for that price tag they would be well made. Fit and finish, to me, is very important with headphones. I mean, a speaker just sits and is rarely touched...but headphones are handled each time they are used. Any reports on how they hold up?

I'm also interested in how they sound, I hear they are magnificent.

Looking forward to your report,
-Chad

I can't imagine they are any different from what I have (Lambda's). The construction may LOOK that way, but the plastics used are first-rate, and well-nigh indestructible. They're designed to be light, and they are.

May 6, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Why do this when there's minidisc already?

The iPod has no removeable media. All the songs/data are stored on a hard drive. Very convenient for extreme portability. Of course, I am simply echoing others who own one.....I do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back