Woe is me...
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

d34dh0r53

New Head-Fier
Trying to stave off sleep for the last 4 hours of my 12 hour overnight shift (3 12's 9p-9a makes for a 4.5 day weekend) so I thought I'd share my story as I'm about at the breaking point.  I got my start in head-fi by building a starving student for my 'O' AKG K240s which broke about a month later, moved on to the M50's and loved em.  Bonus day came around and I had been wanting to get a really nice set of cans so I went and picked up a pair of the 100th anniversary Denon AHA-A100's and absolutely fell in love.  I have 36 hours of solitude every week and there is nothing better than a tube amp and a set of cans that you love.  After about 12 months I started to notice a couple of small cracks on the armatures that connect the ear pieces to the headband, a couple of months later a small chip had come out.  These cans were either on my head or in their otter box which kept them completely motionless so I chalked it up to a small defect in the manufacture.

I put off taking them in for service as I didn't want to be without them for any period of time, but eventually a trip to China for a couple of weeks presented me with an opportunity to take them in and not miss them too much.  After two weeks in China listening to my mediocre IEMs I couldn't wait to get my Denons back, after waiting a week I called my dealer for an update.  No love, another week, no love, arrrggghh, I'm going crazy.....finally I get word that they are having a hard time finding parts as these were only made for 1 year.  Another couple of days go bye and the service guy from my dealer calls and gets ahold of my wife, he explains to her that they don't have the parts and asks her if I would like my original headphones back or a set of new D600's and she guesses that I would want the new pair.  She promptly calls me and informs me of the conversation at which point I do a quick spot check of the reviews for the D600's, I wasn't impressed and called my dealer back and informed them that I would like my old cans back, cracks and all.  Later that day I received some very troubling news, "according to Denon they have scrapped them" he says.  My chin hits the floor, what?!?! To my dying day I will be convinced that someone walked away with them thinking they were freebies, there is no way they were scrapped because of a couple of small cracks in the plastic.

At this point the service manager at my dealer got involved and to make a long story short I soon had in my formerly nicotine stained hands a pair of the D7100's with a commitment from me that I would not sell them for a year as they were labeled "demo units".  Fine, whatever, I'm still not ecstatic about the trade as the D100's had an intrinsic value to me in that they were my first pair of fairly high end headphones.  This was around Christmas 2012, and I start listening to the D7100's and think they sound pretty good, they'll be better after they burn in, but there is something that is bothering me.  Every time I listen to these headphones my subconscious is telling me that something is not right with the sound, and I start to become consciously aware that the imaging is off and there is something lacking on the left side.  Music that should feel centered down the middle of my head feels oddly shifted about an inch to the right.  I start changing amps, sources, cables, etc.. it's driving me nuts.  I finally go to the Ultimate Heaphones Test site http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and start playing the tests.  The driver matching test is where I get my first clue, somewhere in the 1-3K range the sweep shifts to the right and then back to the center.  Then I try the quality test and I hear a rattle in the left driver at the very start of the sweep, so I finally have evidence that there is something reproducibly wrong with the left driver.  I reluctantly take them back in for service; on Wednesday that will be a month ago.

I call my dealer once a week asking for an update, Denon hasn't even updated the ticket yet.  I am so tired of my IEMs that I went to Best Buy this Friday and bought a pair of Harman Kardon BTs which I am currently listening to and trying to like.  I plan on selling these if I ever get my Denons back which I'm not sure will ever happen at this point.  I have also lot quite a bit of faith in Denon, I have been a fairly loyal customer of theirs I currently own two of their higher end home theater receivers and have always planned on purchasing them until I'm in the McIntosh market but I am very much reconsidering my loyalty.  I feel like my dealer has gone above and beyond, and I am very happy with the service I've received from them.  They are a small local shop and when I have an opportunity to spend money I like to do it at those kinds of places, and in this case it was money well spent, not so much with Denon.

If you read this far, thanks for listening to my sob story, it feels better to share...LOL.  Has anyone else had dealings with Denon service?  I'm wondering if I should start to contact them directly or if I need to escalate this at my dealer, or just wait it out.

Again, thanks for the shoulder :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 11
LOL, thanks man. I really do like them but I'm probably going to explode soon, but I think I would feel unfulfilled unless I could go off on someone from Denon directly.  Maybe I'll go passive aggressive and start spamming twitter.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
LOL, thanks man. I really do like them but I'm probably going to explode soon, but I think I would feel unfulfilled unless I could go off on someone from Denon directly.  Maybe I'll go passive aggressive and start spamming twitter.

If I were you, I'd contact Denon this instant. A month in repair w/o any updates? Seems very strange at the very least.

I wish you the best dude. I've been in the same situation with Monster before and solved it by badgering them every couple days if I didn't get an update as to what was going on. As I like to say, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" 
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
.  Later that day I received some very troubling news, "according to Denon they have scrapped them" he says.

That is absolutely illegal - no company has the right to destroy your property. 
You need to know that this is A CRIME. 

Please get in direct contact with Denon, preferably by phone telling them your woes - you SHOULD demand your original set back, and if that cannot be done, you should DEMAND a new set of A-100's. 
Anyone officially doing repairs for Denon is under their responsibility, so even if it's a 3rd party company, Denon should be able to help you either way.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you should have never accepted the replacement headphone. Try to work it out so that you send back the replacement for what is rightfully yours.
Most of us on headfi don't think much of the new D7100 either. You're not on your own.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Wow, that would be enough for me to avoid a company. Everyone makes mistakes and I can understand that, but if a company messes up on the product AND the customer service to correct that problem, that's inexcusable. I can kind of relate as I had a similar problem with an OMAS fountain pen. I got one, and the piston fell apart within a week (never had any other pen do this). There were also a lot of other cosmetic issues that should not have been on a pen at that price. I sent it back, and OMAS took 6 months to send back another defective pen. Needless to say, I will never buy a product from that company again.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 11
That is absolutely illegal - no company has the right to destroy your property. 
You need to know that this is A CRIME. 

Please get in direct contact with Denon, preferably by phone telling them your woes - you SHOULD demand your original set back, and if that cannot be done, you should DEMAND a new set of A-100's. 
Anyone officially doing repairs for Denon is under their responsibility, so even if it's a 3rd party company, Denon should be able to help you either way.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you should have never accepted the replacement headphone. Try to work it out so that you send back the replacement for what is rightfully yours.
Most of us on headfi don't think much of the new D7100 either. You're not on your own.

I thought about that but my wife technically gave them permission, although I don't blame her. I know if it came down to it they would say that they had authorization. In the end I was at least satisfied because of the monetary value of the D7100s, I figured I could sell them after a year and get a set I really wanted. I spoke to my dealer again today and apparently Denon is dragging their feet because of the special circumstances in which I acquired them, which makes no sense to me. I have officially lit the fire though and will get exponentially squeakier :) I do hope I'm not jeopardizing anything by posting this story here though :/

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
 I do hope I'm not jeopardizing anything by posting this story here though :/

Nah, should be fine. 
If Denon finds out, all the more reason for them to give you a good customer experience - that will only increase their customer satisfaction rating and not scare away new buyers, but quite the opposite. 
All you've done is plainly tell us the facts; nothing wrong with that. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 11
I have just bought a pair of Denon AH-D7100 and everything is fine. There is no driver mismatch and I have them connected to my Corda Jazz and can drive them really loud without issue. I think your Demo Unit must have had some QC issues. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I thought about that but my wife technically gave them permission, although I don't blame her. I know if it came down to it they would say that they had authorization. In the end I was at least satisfied because of the monetary value of the D7100s, I figured I could sell them after a year and get a set I really wanted. I spoke to my dealer again today and apparently Denon is dragging their feet because of the special circumstances in which I acquired them, which makes no sense to me. I have officially lit the fire though and will get exponentially squeakier
smily_headphones1.gif
I do hope I'm not jeopardizing anything by posting this story here though :/

It doesn't matter if your wife gave them confirmation. You're the owner of the product and they can't do that without your own personal concent.

Tell them that they either find a way to retrieve your old pair, or they that they better create a new pair of the exact same model for you. You actually have the power to take them to court over this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back