woah! The best cMoy ever!
Sep 22, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Nobody has experience with the amp, but everyone is so quick to jump on him. He made is own boards and added features instead of just making a vanilla CMoy and everyone sh1ts on him.

I agree, and I don't get it. The amp is $86 ($80+$6 shipping) and comes with what looks to be a pretty high quality mini-to-mini cable if you order directly from his website.

Head-Fi is known for causing its members to part with their cash, so why doesn't someone just BUY ONE AND TEST IT OUT. The guy offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with no restocking fee and he actually REFUNDS THE OUTBOUND SHIPPING COST. The only cash you're out if you don't like the amp is a $4 Priority Mail stamp to send it back.

Come on Head-Fi, quit yer bitchin' and put your money where your mouth is.

tongue.gif

EDIT: Oops, I see someone has done just that. Let us know your impressions of the amp once you get it.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 40
Mine is getting shipped right now and should arrive anytime tomorrow.

I'm not an audiophile by any means so I don't think I can offer a reliable
comparison or review, but I guess I could at least check the build quality
biggrin.gif

Hope it'd have a good synergy with my SA3K.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Still can't find that cpu . . .
wink.gif

I keep reading this in your posts and I keep checking the pics to see if something has changed. I have no trouble identifying the "CPU based" micro processor. Although not as elegant as the self contained silicon chip microprocessor that is the CPU for my car's engine management system ( which does't run lynix, unix or do windoze either), it is there in plain sight!

Although it's purpose appears to be to manage the auto off, volt meter, flashlight and led dimming functions it is, nonetheless, a group of processors centrally managed via the switch. Pretty slick, overall, given the size confines of the tin.

Last summer, eBay prices for a standard single opamp C-Moy hovered around $70. I saw some as high as $112 for limited edition Altoids Tins. When the round tins hit last fall they garnered about $70 while the square tins dropped to $60 or so. The PAV2 was going for about $80 (some at $100). Earlier this year, one C-Moy maker put a "buy it now" price of $50 for his C-moy. Since then, the average prices for single opamp c-moys has dropped to a $50 or less average. The PA2V2 has held it's own averaging more than $60 - the last couple I watched went around $70 to $80. I have purchased examples of some of these amps and all have been quality builds.

As I read the ad for this new amp, I see nothing extravagant in it's claims. The figures and links provided do offer a sense of what you are getting. Furthermore, I know of know no other C-Moy type amp on eBay offereing as complete a set of features as this one. The $71 selling price of the amp ad that started this thread falls into line with every other offering of the past year - and trumps them all with it's feature set. How useful these features are is debatable but the're there for the using.

The audio portion of the amp utilizing the successful buffered opa2134 design should offer good sound to a variety of headphones/canal phones. If a standard C-Moy can be fully assembled for under $30 it appears this one could be made for under $50. Standard C-Moys currently go for about $50 so $70 for this one doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Most C-Moys do not offer in tin charging.

So what is your real beef with this product??? --- Tom

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by digicom_t1
I keep reading this in your posts and I keep checking the pics to see if something has changed. I have no trouble identifying the "CPU based" micro processor. Although not as elegant as the self contained silicon chip microprocessor that is the CPU for my car's engine management system ( which does't run lynix, unix or do windoze either), it is there in plain sight!

Although it's purpose appears to be to manage the auto off, volt meter, flashlight and led dimming functions it is, nonetheless, a group of processors centrally managed via the switch. Pretty slick, overall, given the size confines of the tin.

Last summer, eBay prices for a standard single opamp C-Moy hovered around $70. I saw some as high as $112 for limited edition Altoids Tins. When the round tins hit last fall they garnered about $70 while the square tins dropped to $60 or so. The PAV2 was going for about $80 (some at $100). Earlier this year, one C-Moy maker put a "buy it now" price of $50 for his C-moy. Since then, the average prices for single opamp c-moys has dropped to a $50 or less average. The PA2V2 has held it's own averaging more than $60 - the last couple I watched went around $70 to $80. I have purchased examples of some of these amps and all have been quality builds.

As I read the ad for this new amp, I see nothing extravagant in it's claims. The figures and links provided do offer a sense of what you are getting. Furthermore, I know of know no other C-Moy type amp on eBay offereing as complete a set of features as this one. The $71 selling price of the amp ad that started this thread falls into line with every other offering of the past year - and trumps them all with it's feature set. How useful these features are is debatable but the're there for the using.

The audio portion of the amp utilizing the successful buffered opa2134 design should offer good sound to a variety of headphones/canal phones. If a standard C-Moy can be fully assembled for under $30 it appears this one could be made for under $50. Standard C-Moys currently go for about $50 so $70 for this one doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Most C-Moys do not offer in tin charging.

So what is your real beef with this product??? --- Tom

I for one do not value those specific extra features. Especially if they are at the expense of sound quality and or durability. Since I don't place a high value on those particular features, to my ears... its nothing more than a ~$40 cmoy... with the added risk of something going wrong. We all know microprocessors (especially those in a portable environment) can fail from time to time.

For me, given my criteria I would rather spend $75 on a mint or $100 and get a pimeta... Bare bones, not frills audio fidelity. Someone was selling new pimetas for ~$100 on ebay a while ago.

Thats my oppinion, You want it you got it... If IM the only one who feels this way so be it
rolleyes.gif

Garrett

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #35 of 40
FWIW,
I share your opinion - $70 makes a good downpayment on something with better sonics. However, these things (headphone amps) sell like hotcakes on eBay. Sometimes at outrageous prices. My point is that the asking price for this one seems reasonable when compared to the other offerings on ebay.

The additional features need not detract from the sound. I don't need any of these features at the moment. But as time goes by and I find myself confined to bed more often, I can readily see where most of the features could come in handy. Especially the auto off and flashlight feature. Maybe I could even use the low battery feature to get the day nurse to replace the batteries so the amp doesn't peter out at night. Sometimes music is the only thing that gets me through the night - there comes a time when all the morphine on earth can't take you far enough.

Anyway, I'm not dismissing or trying to trivialize your opinion - it is valid. It just bothers me to see some others make claims of false advertizing, overcharging and sonic inferiority without ever having seen or having heard the product. There may be some people for whom these features might make sense or even make life a little easier but who after reading this thread may shy away from this supposedly overblown, inferior product produced by a shyster who has misrepresented his product through false advertising!

Will I be buying it? No, but I will at least think about incorporating similiar features into my bedside Pimeta. My disabilities still allow me to do this. But others may not have the ability or desire to build their own. And, as always, there will be those who need a cool factor or just want something different.

My own opinion of mint tin based amps are they make a good disposable amp. Cheap (costwise) enough to carry when your activities may put your more expensive portable pimeta or dual amped maxi moy at risk. I have several and I have yet to break one. But if I do, no big deal. They may outlive me. I will probably lower the gain on these and give them to my grandkids. My wife can do the repairs on them if needed or build them another if they total them.

To each his own --- Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I for one do not value those specific extra features. Especially if they are at the expense of sound quality and or durability. Since I don't place a high value on those particular features, to my ears... its nothing more than a ~$40 cmoy... with the added risk of something going wrong. We all know microprocessors (especially those in a portable environment) can fail from time to time.

For me, given my criteria I would rather spend $75 on a mint or $100 and get a pimeta... Bare bones, not frills audio fidelity. Someone was selling new pimetas for ~$100 on ebay a while ago.

Thats my oppinion, You want it you got it... If IM the only one who feels this way so be it
rolleyes.gif

Garrett

Sep 24, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #36 of 40
im gonna poke around a bit, but is there any step by step guide to making your own portable amp? since i am looking into buying an amp and i have alot of spare time figure might as well make it myself.

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
im gonna poke around a bit, but is there any step by step guide to making your own portable amp? since i am looking into buying an amp and i have alot of spare time figure might as well make it myself.

tangentsoft.net/audio
start with the CMoy.

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It sort of reminds me of a Pinto I saw one time with a 400 HP engine, sure you can do it, but the question that makes people slam their head against immovable objects is WHY?
biggrin.gif

E.G:

Silver dragon'd ksc 35's...

Sorry i had to put it out there. ; )

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #39 of 40
Sep 25, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
tangentsoft.net/audio
start with the CMoy.

As you go through Tangent's site do a search of the DYI forum here to get answers to your questions. Solutions to most of the questions had were found searchng the archives or following links from Tangent's site.

-------- Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back