woah! The best cMoy ever!
Aug 2, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
If he just made a cmoy and said it has crossfeed, rechargeable battery, etc it'd be all good. But he's just over the top. Just trying to milk unsuspecting newbs outta their money.

A MINT does. And I've seen those go for less than the 80 bucks he's charging. (71 + 9 shipping)

And I'm pretty sure many people don't care about the tin. Hell, I bought an old supermini for 60-70 over a year ago, they go for cheaper now.

This is not fair to say. We lack details on how much the amp would cost to assemble, time investment, and the amount it would take to gain a little profit. All this could justify the amount of $80.00. The only way to find out for sure is to look at the books.

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 40
Agreed, but how many of those so-called features are actually of any use? And would the added stuff hinder the audio signal in any way? And 80 bucks now, but next time it could be 100. Or 120. Etc.

I guess I'm more po'd over his marketing tactic. Reminds me of bose. How many respected amp builders here claim their amp is the highest quality EVER? That you can't find a better amp? It's a modified cmoy for goodness sakes. And what cpu/microprocessor? I can't find it?

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Agreed, but how many of those so-called features are actually of any use? And would the added stuff hinder the audio signal in any way? And 80 bucks now, but next time it could be 100. Or 120. Etc.

This is for the ears of the beholder to deside for.

Quote:

I guess I'm more po'd over his marketing tactic. Reminds me of [size=medium]bose[/size]. How many respected amp builders here claim their amp is the highest quality EVER? That you can't find a better amp? It's a modified cmoy for goodness sakes. And what cpu/microprocessor? I can't find it?

Alright, you win this round. I can't beat the "Bose" wildcard remark, damn!

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
This is for the ears of the beholder to deside for.

Alright, you win this round. I can't beat the "Bose" wildcard remark, damn!

I guess you're right, but I still find it fishy. So which respected member is gonna get one of these and compare to a PPX3 or blue hawaii or something?
tongue.gif
Nah, jsut battle it with other amps in the same price range. As well as the quality of the crossfeed and it's ability to run linux.

The bose wildcard always works, man. Although I still think they make the greatest products, EVER! I mean like, a bose rep once told me that cavemen used to use their 5.1 system to scare off wild animals!! And he wouldn't like to me, right? RIGHT?!

Aug 3, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #20 of 40
I've read about this amp before but I know nothing about its quality or how it sounds. Apparently, neither does anyone else in this thread yet again, many are quick to pan it. As amps of this class go, $80 is not an unreasonable asking price and someone amongst the curious should just buy one and post their impressions. If I didn't already have two portable amps, I would probably order one.

I have no idea how this amp sounds, but it does look like a legitimate attempt at a decent product. The OPA2134 is a respected opamp, although it would be nice if the opamp were socketed to allow for exchange with alternate opamps. It is unclear if this amp sockets or solders the opamp. The other features are largely bells and whistles but I give the designer credit for attempting to build something that stands apart from the kit built cmoys. Having said that, there appears to be a digital multimeter built into the circuit which could come in handy. For example, I have 9.6V rechargeables which I suspect may be underperforming. If that circuit feature is reliable, that would be useful to me.

Truthfully, the ambitious nature of thie circuit design does lead me to question whether the product will be fragile or if the sonic qualities would be compromised. However, the only fair way to test that it to audition the product. Blindly criticizing the product is unfair to a well intentioned designer and to those who may be dissuaded from buying a decent, reasonably priced amp.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 40
I get what you're saying man, but when you market something the way this guy did, you can't blame some of us for being suspicious in regards to his product and intentions.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
why take a dump on the guy?
rolleyes.gif

1. bells and whistles? imo quite a bit of the 'extra' feature are useful. those new to headphones may not find L-R channel seperation to their liking - hence crossfeed. the 'low batt indicator' is probably one of the most useful things i've seen around for a portable amp. and any amp could use some higher-end electrolytics and metal film resistors.

2. a used pimeta? how many fit in a tin?
rolleyes.gif

3. no i do not think he could get off on a technicality, especially not with that title for his listing.

sure, a jap saloon may not be the 'best' car around, but still, it gets the job done. and done very well considering it's price point.
rolleyes.gif

I think it's funny that bells and whistles on something like an SM3 is perfectly fine, but on a CMoy, and people have a problem w/ it. I agree on the battery indicator-- it would be nice if more amps had something like this built into them. Granted some of the other features seem not-so-useful, but that's just my opinions. Someone else might find those same features quite useful.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

A MINT does. And I've seen those go for less than the 80 bucks he's charging. (71 + 9 shipping)

Exactly, a MINT does, not a Pimeta-- the board wouldn't fit, not in a standard altoids size tin.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

I guess I'm more po'd over his marketing tactic. Reminds me of bose. How many respected amp builders here claim their amp is the highest quality EVER? That you can't find a better amp? It's a modified cmoy for goodness sakes. And what cpu/microprocessor? I can't find it?

Who says the guy is going to jack the price up to 100 or 120? That's just pure conjecture... and even if he did, he's completely entitled to do so (it might affect the # of people buying them, but he's entitled to raise, or lower, the price any way he sees fit).

And as far as marketing tactic, I find some of Headroom's descriptions, etc. of their products on their website a little fantastical too, but I'm not going to start crapping on a product that I haven't even heard or tried. I don't know what your particular problem is with this particular builder/seller but its starting to sound a little over the top. If you haven't tried the product yet, then try to curb your opinions until they're more informed/educated on the amp in question. You've posted enough here, and have had enough experience w/ different amps, etc. so I think you'd be qualified to be a good, respected member to step up to the plate and try the amp out yourself. At least that way if you still hated the amp, you could say so because you actually demo'ed it and had firsthand experience with it. Just an idea.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 40
you're beating a dead horse my friend. And I never said he'd jack up the price, but that people might think "cause of his marketing" that it's worth more, and they bid higher next time. I'm not s**ting on the amp, I'm just saying that from the looks of things it looks fishy IMO. Most of us dislike bose cause they don't hold their weight, even they say their pretty much the best. Didn't say it was a bad amp or the builder should be lynched. App, you're just reiterating what's been said about 800 times in this thread already, and both sides get the point, yet keep our personal opinions on this intact. And please don't give me the respected remember crap, if you wanna go at me, do so without reservation. I, on the other hand, am going to return that movie I rented last night. This thread ended last thursday.

Still can't find that cpu . . .
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 40
I think he meant microchip to handle the battery state and the auto shutoff . But there's no need for a CPU inside . Anyway , I'm about to buy it and check things out . Shipping to israel gona take about 2 weeks , so hang in there .

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 40
someone just buy it and end the speculation lol.

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 40
The only issue I'd take with the setup is... okay there are two, one is personal taste, damn tins! The second, more important is the battery life would be short using the opa2134. It'd much prefer near on double the voltage and current. Fortunately you can charge it in-situ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back