WMA Lossless on Sony Walkmans?
Nov 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
according to the post I got from the Sony X Manual of supported formats, only the WMA up to 192kbps is supported.  NOT WMA Lossless.

But uncompressed lossless is the supported Linear PCM format or WAV.

On my S545 and E345, they would play regular WMA (not lossless) up to 405kbps. I've seen that 192kbps number elsewhere, though, not just on that post of yours...so you're not imagining it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I have a Sony S series 16gb.  It definately supports WMA Lossless.  I have about 115 albums loaded and still have 6.5 gb left to fill.

So again - SONY S SERIES DOES SUPPORT WMA LOSSLESS.

What are the bitrates of those albums? 115 albums in only a little over 8GB doesn't sound lossless to me....

10 gigs divided by 115 albums =90 megs +/- per album... which translates into something around 192kbps I think. 

This is correct - They are all 192 kbps

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I have a Sony S series 16gb.  It definately supports WMA Lossless.  I have about 115 albums loaded and still have 6.5 gb left to fill.

What are the bitrates of those albums? 115 albums in only a little over 8GB doesn't sound lossless to me....

10 gigs divided by 115 albums =90 megs +/- per album... which translates into something around 192kbps I think. 

It's not 10GB though....the usable capacity of the 16GB Sony is 14.7GB(I had two of them)which is where I got my 8GB estimate from. Even so, your math suggesting 192kbps proves it is not WMA lossless.....probably just regular WMA.

When I use Windows Media Player to rip my tracks I choose the WMA Lossless option.  I assumed these files were smaller than regular WMA  The player reports them at 192kbps.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #34 of 40

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It's not 10GB though....the usable capacity of the 16GB Sony is 14.7GB(I had two of them)which is where I got my 8GB estimate from. Even so, your math suggesting 192kbps proves it is not WMA lossless.....probably just regular WMA.

When I use Windows Media Player to rip my tracks I choose the WMA Lossless option.  I assumed these files were smaller than regular WMA  The player reports them at 192kbps.

No, lossless files would be bigger than regular WMA. I suspect what is happening is WMP is converting them from WMA lossless to regular WMA when you sync the player. Look at the files on your hard drive, and if they're WMA Lossless they're probably closer to 1,000kbps than 192kbps.
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #36 of 40
If you go to WMP and click under Rip settings then WMA then Quality, you'll find WMA Lossless is 355-750. I thought WMA lossless was just a big variable file. I run WMA Variable 240-355 and it shows up on my Zen as 333. I was thinking WMA lossless was just a larger version of WMA variable, so if your player could take WMA Variable then it would probably take Lossless WMA. I suppose I could be wrong, as that was my assumption. It's a shame players don't take WMA Lossless as it appears to be a smaller file size than FLAC or WAV, though it's been a while since I checked out the numbers for the latter two so I could be wrong about that.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
If you go to WMP and click under Rip settings then WMA then Quality, you'll find WMA Lossless is 355-750. I thought WMA lossless was just a big variable file. I run WMA Variable 240-355 and it shows up on my Zen as 333. I was thinking WMA lossless was just a larger version of WMA variable, so if your player could take WMA Variable then it would probably take Lossless WMA. I suppose I could be wrong, as that was my assumption. It's a shame players don't take WMA Lossless as it appears to be a smaller file size than FLAC or WAV, though it's been a while since I checked out the numbers for the latter two so I could be wrong about that.

You must be on XP or Vista with WMP11. I just turned on WMP12 to compare, even though I don't use it to rip, and found this out.....

There may be  3rd party programs that can convert to WMA lossless, but I don't know how they would compare bitrate-wise.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #39 of 40
Those numbers are right that you have Achmed. It had been quite a while since I looked so I checked again. I have Windows 7 and whatever WMP it came with. Still it appears to be a large variable bit rate as compared to FLAC and others being constant bit rate, so I would think that WMA Lossless would probably be a smaller file.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
Those numbers are right that you have Achmed. It had been quite a while since I looked so I checked again. I have Windows 7 and whatever WMP it came with. Still it appears to be a large variable bit rate as compared to FLAC and others being constant bit rate, so I would think that WMA Lossless would probably be a smaller file.

FLAC isn't constant bit rate exactly, but it's not quite VBR like MP3 either. PLay back a VBR mp3 in foobar and you can watch the bitrate changing as it plays, whereas with FLAC, it varies by song....each song from an album will be a different bitrate, but that bitrate doesn't appear to change mid-song. Seems to me that my FLACs average 60-65% of the size of the WAV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back