WMA Lossless on Sony Walkmans?
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 40
Wikipedia claims that WMA Lossless is supported by both the Sony Walkman A series and S series.

Quote:
Hardware support for the codec is available on the Cowon A3 [2]Bang & Olufsen Serenata,[39] Sony Walkman NWZ-A and NWZ-S seriesZune 4, 88030, Zune 120 (with firmware version 2.2 or later) and the new Zune HDXbox 360,[28] Windows Mobile-powered devices with Windows Media Player 10 Mobile,[29] Toshiba Gigabeat S and V models, Toshiba T-400, the Meizu M3, and Best Buy's Insignia NS-DV, Pilot, and Sport music players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio#Windows_Media_Audio_Lossless

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 40

Quote:
Wikipedia claims that WMA Lossless is supported by both the Sony Walkman A series and S series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio#Windows_Media_Audio_Lossless

Wikipedia is not infallible.
wink_face.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #19 of 40
Oh!  I did not know that a player may support WMA but not "WMAL" (Lossless version).

I will do a sample test before I try and convert everything over to WMA"L".

Thank you!  I don't know when I can get around to this but if the thread is still going I'll post my results with X player.
Quote:
Wait, are you going to re-rip to WMA or WMA Lossless? As I understand it, they're different. And I don't know if X supporting WMA necessarily means it also supports WMA Lossless.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 40
As for as  I know, the X series also doesn't support WMA lossless - a real shame for not supporting it or FLAC.  Such is the reason I sold it despite sounding great with med-high bit MP3 files.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 40
I have a Sony S series 16gb.  It definately supports WMA Lossless.  I have about 115 albums loaded and still have 6.5 gb left to fill.

So again - SONY S SERIES DOES SUPPORT WMA LOSSLESS.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
I have a Sony S series 16gb.  It definately supports WMA Lossless.  I have about 115 albums loaded and still have 6.5 gb left to fill.

What are the bitrates of those albums? 115 albums in only a little over 8GB doesn't sound lossless to me....

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #25 of 40
For the X from a manual I found online:

From Wikipedia and explaining why I can put WAV files on my Sony (each track around 30-35MB- does that sound correct?):

On PCs, the term PCM and LPCM often refer to the format used in WAV (defined in 1991) and AIFF audio container formats (defined in 1988). LPCM data may also be stored in other formats such asAUraw audio format (header-less file) and various multimedia container formats.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

What are the bitrates of those albums? 115 albums in only a little over 8GB doesn't sound lossless to me....

10 gigs divided by 115 albums =90 megs +/- per album... which translates into something around 192kbps I think. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #27 of 40

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

10 gigs divided by 115 albums =90 megs +/- per album... which translates into something around 192kbps I think. 

It's not 10GB though....the usable capacity of the 16GB Sony is 14.7GB(I had two of them)which is where I got my 8GB estimate from. Even so, your math suggesting 192kbps proves it is not WMA lossless.....probably just regular WMA.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #28 of 40

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It's not 10GB though....the usable capacity of the 16GB Sony is 14.7GB(I had two of them)which is where I got my 8GB estimate from. Even so, your math suggesting 192kbps proves it is not WMA lossless.....probably just regular WMA.

Where'd it go?!!  I had a post written and nothing showed up..  Anyway yeah I agree with you completely in that it sounds like a regular WMA and not any kind of lossless format.  If stored internally, I figure about 30some albums could fit in a player that size (if they were supported at least).

My current player doesn't support lossless, but it's not anything I'm stressing over.  The biggest difference that I can tell in sound quality is based on how crappy the amplification is compared to my standard setup and not bitrate (all of the files on my portable setup are between 192-320kbps).  Perhaps it's time to get a portable amp...  ---more money!

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #29 of 40

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Where'd it go?!!  I had a post written and nothing showed up..  Anyway yeah I agree with you completely in that it sounds like a regular WMA and not any kind of lossless format.  If stored internally, I figure about 30some albums could fit in a player that size (if they were supported at least).

My current player doesn't support lossless, but it's not anything I'm stressing over.  The biggest difference that I can tell in sound quality is based on how crappy the amplification is compared to my standard setup and not bitrate (all of the files on my portable setup are between 192-320kbps).  Perhaps it's time to get a portable amp...  ---more money!

I am of the opinion that lossless isn't necessary on a portable player...as long as your lossy encodes are decent (no 64kbps mp3 encodes please!) then that's good enough for on-the-go. I'll listen to the lossless at home.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #30 of 40
according to the post I got from the Sony X Manual of supported formats, only the WMA up to 192kbps is supported.  NOT WMA Lossless.

But uncompressed lossless is the supported Linear PCM format or WAV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back