WM-DD9 Thread
Jun 24, 2003 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dcfly

Head-Fier
This is for anyone who owns the WM-DD9 Walkman to share information such as common problems and (hopefully) solutions, as well as discuss good tapes and headphones to use with it. To start off, I would like to make the instructions available here:

http://www21.brinkster.com/dcfly/WMDD9.PDF

I've found it hard to locate good metal tapes these days. There's always eBay as a last resort, I suppose. Good, old stock tapes seem to go for high prices there.

My WM-DD9 handles most home-recorded blanks well, but does not seem to like pre-recorded tapes at all. It refuses to play my Led Zeppelin tape at all, and will only play my Beethoven Symphony No. 9 tape with wavering speed. I usually try some things like putting the tape in my deck and rewinding twice and then taking up the slack, but it doesn't seem to work in this instance.

I listen to my WM-DD9 with Grado SR-60's.

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 18
good thread. although due to the rarity of this unit, there aren't a lot of owners here.

anyway, as for playing prerecorded tapes, my dd9 doesn't have any problem with all my tapes. i even "frighteningly" tried some of my very old dusty tapes i found in the garage. seems to be fine. and that "godly speed" never once wavered on me.

as for power,
biggrin.gif
it can surely power grados nicely. dcfly, do you have the manual or any knowledge of the specs of this baby?

Jun 24, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
dcfly, do you have the manual or any knowledge of the specs of this baby?

Yes, see my post above for a link to the instructions. You can find a few specs there.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 18
i've been trying that link since yesterday and still, it's a broken one.

anyway, what i'm really interested in is the kind of head sony used here. i've never seen anything like it before. even on decks.

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 18
Yeah Team DD9 Baby!!!

I can download the manual no problem...

Humm, as for my DD9... if I power it from AC the discs would slip at startup and FF and REW would be very fast compare to the slow normal speed, other than that mine is performing very well!

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 18
Tina, here is what the manual says about the head:

"Advanced EX amorphous head
Double gutters and fine gap produce clearer sound in the lower and upper register respectively.
Single crystalline material employed for the wiring of the head transmits the signal accurately."

Jun 25, 2003 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 18
Oh my AC Adaptor is an Aiwa I got yeons ago... If you see a Sony one at the stores, it's probably $30CAD cuz that's like the MSRP for it...

Yeah with the DD9, the vocals are like right in your face sort of... super wicked!

Jun 25, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
with the DD9, the vocals are like right in your face sort of... super wicked!

you seem to be a grado fan
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 18
It's only a fine line separating Grado from Cheapo

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
It's only a fine line separating Grado from Cheapo

lol!!!!

i didn't hear that. i can hear
rs1smile.gif
fans breathing heavily.

*grabs fire jacket and runs like crazy

btw, how's the dd9 compared to the px1000?

Quote:

Originally posted by Gojira
Wow. One of these puppies is on ebay if you live in Germany.
...I like how it says "High Sound Quality" right on the unit, just so you know
smily_headphones1.gif

it's a BIG steal alright. the downside is........the seller won't ship outside germany.

the "High Sound Quality" and that ugly
smily_headphones1.gif
orange lettering is just on cardboard inside. that's a glass window where you can see your tape inside.

Jun 26, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 18
No I think that's a label... how would put carboard inside gee... lol! I like those letterings, so reassuring hehe

Jun 26, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 18
If it's something you really want (like a WM-DD9), you should email the foreign seller and ask him/her if they will ship to the U.S. (or wherever you are). Sometimes they will agree, even if they had originally intended to only ship to their home country. I think sometimes people don't even consider worldwide shipping - I would think they could make more money that way.

Jul 2, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 18
Hello, I am now the proud owner of a DD9. I must say that this player is much more impressive in person than in any of the pictures I have seen. Gold plated headphone jack, heavy as hell, and the casing has a thick feel to it that you get with expensive home electronics. It feels and looks solid. I was impressed when I got the Boodo Khan, but this player has just left me speechless. I am in the process of making some cd-tape recordings just so I can start enjoying these players. I was holding out for LP-Tape but I have yet to be able to get a turntable so for the time being I will settle for the cd to tape approach. I will post some listening impressions as soon as I finish. Thanks to all those who have spoken so highly of this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back