With Can Jam over, can the ad's move to R again?
May 19, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #61 of 84
Yep ecclesand.

I really don't care where the adverts are, but Jude should honor his word. If the official explanation was "It's for CanJam" then they should move back.

May 22, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #63 of 84
The large adspace on the left was actually one of the reasons I had trouble 'coming back' to Head-fi after a leave of absence. I use a laptop exclusively and scrolling to the right on every single page with a touchpad is -extremely- pesky.

May 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #64 of 84
The ads on the left are very annoying, it makes the interface bulky and quite ugly compared to other forums I use. I'm not against ads and I understand that the site needs some financing, but there are more professional ways to do it.

May 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #65 of 84
Most of my viewing of Head-Fi had been on my smart phone. The site is all but unviewable on most portables I've tried. As a result, my visits have all but ceased since the ads went to the left. :shrug:

May 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #66 of 84
I think all of us who made cynical predictions that it wasn't really for CanJam have turned out to be correct. Even if jude swoops in and changes it, it will be because of all the complaining rather than to keep his word (the title of his blog is starting to seem a teensy bit ironic now, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif
).

May 23, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #67 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think all of us who made cynical predictions that it wasn't really for CanJam have turned out to be correct. Even if jude swoops in and changes it, it will be because of all the complaining rather than to keep his word (the title of his blog is starting to seem a teensy bit ironic now, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Or maybe canjam promotion extends a little beyond the actual date of the event? The ad now lists "impressions and reviews", something which they really can only list after the event. And for obvious reasons they may want to promote for a few weeks after the event??
And had they not listed it there I wouldn't have thought of it myself.

May 23, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And for obvious reasons they may want to promote for a few weeks after the event??

What are these obvious reasons you speak of? They're not obvious to me so please enlighten me.

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #69 of 84
Because of my monitor dying ive had to move to 1024.768 for a lot of my computer use now and I find the ads on the right to be nothing but an utter hindrance to navigation. There should at least be a button you can press to collapse them. However the fulfilment of the promise to put them back to where they were is the better solution.

May 23, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #70 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are these obvious reasons you speak of? They're not obvious to me so please enlighten me.

The link says "impressions and reviews". The obvious reasons are simply the reasons for any review. If people who didn't attend CanJam see positive things written about it then they may make sure they get along to the next event or even simply to any other head-fi related event.

Another reason would be to give a little bit of recognition to those people who have taken the effort to take photos or write about their experience.

They also still have t-shirts for sale it would appear and that ad is the only way I'd be aware of that.

You should also realise that reviews and impressions can only be made after the event, and so if these are to be promoted in any way (for the above reasons perhaps) then this promotion would have to occur after the event. That is obvious yes.

I do 99% of my head-fi browsing on a laptop for what it is worth, and I scroll on every page too.
I chuckled when I saw someone seemingly questioning the honesty of Jude - you want to impeach him according to the constitution of head-fi or something? Another thing that is obvious and I should not be the one to say is that it is rude to question the honesty of a respected person upon whom that questioning individual depends and perhaps to whom they are even indebted.
It didn't appear to be a joke to me.

I think it is a good idea to let people who subscribe for a set period of time escape the advertisements for the duration of their subscription. I also think it is a very good idea to have the ads on the left where they are actually exposed... that is the purpose of ads. People don't pay for ads underneath F1 cars or something.

On the topic of scrolling, people who post wide pictures are annoying for the scrolling they cause. But that's probably another thread altogether.

May 23, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #71 of 84
2 things, there are only 9 links impressions link along with the tshirt link, they could quite easily go at the top where the logo used to be, in the centre.

Also, you come across the annoyance of the bar on every page, huge pictures are not as frequent, so are less of a problem/annoyance.

Just another 2 cents from me.

Matt

May 23, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 things, there are only 9 links impressions link along with the tshirt link, they could quite easily go at the top where the logo used to be, in the centre.

Also, you come across the annoyance of the bar on every page, huge pictures are not as frequent, so are less of a problem/annoyance.

Just another 2 cents from me.

Matt

Yeah I agree with you Matt, and huge pictures are a lot less frequent indeed.
Completely guessing, I would say that the webstaff and other administrators had considered this stuff. In this instance, even if their reasons were purely to maximise advertising exposure/revenue then I personally really don't have a problem with that.

That's another reason I forgot before, ecclesand. Perhaps some sponsors provided additional sponsorship for a special mention near a CanJam section (it doesn't seem out of the question that there are exhibiting fees for the event). If they're doing that then maybe they are paying for an ad on the left of the screen where the CanJam info was chosen to be situated.

May 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #73 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I agree with you Matt, and huge pictures are a lot less frequent indeed.
Completely guessing, I would say that the webstaff and other administrators had considered this stuff. In this instance, even if their reasons were purely to maximise advertising exposure/revenue then I personally really don't have a problem with that.

That's another reason I forgot before, ecclesand. Perhaps some sponsors provided additional sponsorship for a special mention near a CanJam section (it doesn't seem out of the question that there are exhibiting fees for the event). If they're doing that then maybe they are paying for an ad on the left of the screen where the CanJam info was chosen to be situated.

Please read the discussion before commenting on it. All that you are saying is irrelevant because jude promised us that the ad placement was temporary and its sole purpose was to promote CanJam. He promised that it would be removed after CanJam. Seeing as how the only still-relevant CanJam link is the one to buy t-shirts (the other 99% of the bar is irrelevant or just ads (or, of course, both)), the continuing presence of the left ad-bar is not warranted, per jude's promise. It seems to me that he is actively ignoring the issue and is hoping it will just "go away".

May 23, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please read the discussion before commenting on it. All that you are saying is irrelevant because jude promised us that the ad placement was temporary and its sole purpose was to promote CanJam. He promised that it would be removed after CanJam. Seeing as how the only still-relevant CanJam link is the one to buy t-shirts (the other 99% of the bar is irrelevant or just ads (or, of course, both)), the continuing presence of the left ad-bar is not warranted, per jude's promise. It seems to me that he is actively ignoring the issue and is hoping it will just "go away".

Your above post is inaccurate. When did I promise you all of these things you're saying I promised you? Please do show me the post(s) where I promised the things you're insisting I did. In your post, you urge folks to read the discussion before commenting. How about you do the same: Before you essentially call me dishonest in a public forum, nibiyabi, why don't you do your due diligence first.

That being said, I still don't know (a) if I like it or (b) how long it will remain, which is essentially what I said before. But I'm going to try different ad formats, and I'm going to collect data and feedback on those formats, and then weigh out decisions on what to do based on those things. Soon, ad formats here will likely change up on a more regular basis, as we are putting tools in place to more quickly be able to assess the effects of those and other types of changes, and as we transition to more directly managing all of the site's ad inventory than is being done now.

Another suggestion I saw mentioned is a pay-to-remove-ads option: That is something I'm considering, but haven't made any decisions on (or even given a tremendous amount of analysis and thought to) yet.

Some of you have mentioned mobile browsing platforms: I myself am a mobile browser, browsing from both Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices. This is one of the reasons I want to have a WAP version of the forums as soon as I reasonably can. That being said, I have to prioritize that with everything else, and, right now, mobile browsers make up far fewer than even a single percent of total visits to this site. That's not to say that I don't care about mobile browsing, but, given what time and resources I can dedicate to the site, that has to factor in, in terms of planning when to have something like that finished and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back