With Can Jam over, can the ad's move to R again?
May 14, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #46 of 84
You know, there is a really simple solution to avoid side scrolling if your constraint is horizontal resolution. Use a browser window solely for head-fi, don't maximize it, and shift it over to the the left edge of the screen so that the ads are offscreen.

See:

solutionzl8.png

By my estimation, you only need 650 or so pixels of horizontal resolution to avoid scrolling over if you're using this method. Plus, no visible side ads.

May 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #47 of 84
I am now in the position of contributing (in the form of money, not advice) - At only 15 (dont forget.)

I am content with my rigs, so i am not really saving for anything (only to topup my bank) and i will now contribute, but not until the ads are on the right, now canjam is over.

I contribute as a frequent advice poster, but i am willing to contribute money too, albeit only the lowest cost (i am 15 remember) as i dont have the big chunk needed to save money by going to the top.

The ad banner is soooo annoying, and ditracting on the right, where i start reading.

Shame i never use my gaming desktop with the 22" screen often anymore, otherwise it wouldnt be a problem.

Move-the-ads-to-the-left-vote from me, and then i will contribute in the form of money, gaining Jude more money (from every new contributor) to use, therefore eliminating the need for ads to get more eye-time on the right.

Matt

May 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

You know, there is a really simple solution to avoid side scrolling if your constraint is horizontal resolution. Use a browser window solely for head-fi, don't maximize it, and shift it over to the the left edge of the screen so that the ads are offscreen.

Um...you will lose access to the browsers buttons if you do that. You can't hit back, cos its out of the screen.

As mentioned earlier, the thread was simply a request to relocate the ads on the side, since they were primarily added during CanJam, and it listed out the vendors en all that. I see no reason why there should be any financial issues related with relocating the ads on the left to a different part of the screen.

I agree with the OP that its a small annoyance to have to scroll over to the right everytime you open a page especially if you don't have the window maximized. I also see no reason why there is all this argument about finances and sponsorship, its completely irrelevant, unless there is a clause in the contract stating that the ads in concern Must be on the left side of the site.

May 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless there is a clause in the contract stating that the ads in concern Must be on the left side of the site.

There wasnt any when on the right, as they were able to be on the right, so i doubt it. I see no reason why they cant be moved back...

May 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um...you will lose access to the browsers buttons if you do that. You can't hit back, cos its out of the screen.

With gestures, mouse mounted nav buttons, and F5, I haven't touched the navigation buttons in years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93
There wasnt any when on the right, as they were able to be on the right, so i doubt it. I see no reason why they cant be moved back...

More visibility generally equals more money. Left side placement is much better than right side as it generally doesn't drop off the side of the browser like right side ads can.

May 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More visibility generally equals more money. Left side placement is much better than right side as it generally doesn't drop off the side of the browser like right side ads can.

Like i said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Move-the-ads-to-the-left-vote from me, and then i will contribute in the form of money, gaining Jude more money (from every new contributor too) to use, therefore eliminating the need for ads to get more eye-time on the right.

Matt

More contributions will come from the unhappy people who wont contribute/renew yet, therefore there will be more money, therefore more eye-time from the ads being on the left wont be needed.

May 15, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/493/solutionzl8.png

By my estimation, you only need 650 or so pixels of horizontal resolution to avoid scrolling over if you're using this method. Plus, no visible side ads.

Then I loose access to the "Back", "Forward", "Reload" buttons. Not ideal at all...

May 16, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #56 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron chill out man, nobody is complaining about any advertisement, we all know that paid advertisement is needed to run this website, specially while it has been supported for years by one single man funs in the beginning.

How 'bout a little memory refresh?

Previously posted:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the guys exposed in those banners, our sponsors mainly, we all know them, and we all know their products, IMO this exposure inside headfi, that see them born and grow, is uselss for them, do you really believe that anybody will get a Tomahawk becasue they saw a Ray add on the left, right or center? Gimme a break!!! Those are proven products in the market that we discuss everysingle day here, is not that enough free advertisment for them? This community is a free ad for all our sponsors...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovey
About the sentence, that you was mocking about, I do not see why they can not be used in the same sentence, but anyway, that is grammar, not the main topic of this discussion, here...and maybe I missed the meanings, maybe it is indeed an stupid construction, grammatically talking, and maybe you are right, but as you are fully aware, English, is not my native language...Sorry...
wink.gif

But FYI, even not being my native, I can tell you, that I could catch, with time, a lot of spelling and grammar errors from US native members, even from some of them that used to write in magazines, and presume of being spelling bit perfect machines...
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
I wasn't correcting your grammar. You were contradicting yourself in the same sentence.
I would never correct anyone about grammar who speaks another primary language, or even if it was in "english".

May 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #60 of 84
I don't have a problem with having to scroll right while on my home computer...except when someone posts a large pic in the FS forum...but as Sovkiller said, the ads were moved to the right for CanJam per Jude. Now that CanJam is over, they should be moved back to where they were. My contribution renewal is coming up and I seriously doubt I will contribute again unless the ads are moved back. It's more a matter of principle for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back