With Both Good Looks and Strengths, FiiO FH5s, 2BA 2DD IEMs, Is Officially Released!
May 4, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #76 of 104
I can't really imagine the treble being that bad as the reviewer states. You can tell a lot of work went into this design and FiiO isn't new to this. I just doubt they'd mess it up that bad. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard anything that sounds radically different than it graphs, and the graphs on this one looks quite good. I sure would like to hear it for myself.
I'm with you on this. It's hard to believe they would mess this up. I ordered one from HifiGo so let's HBB missed the mark on this one. I have bought numerous items he recommended without regret but I've also bought a few that he did not rec and still liked them so you can't always assume his word is the final one.

May 5, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #78 of 104
...Just saw the 'bad guy good audio reviews' @ youtube, he wasn't very positive about the FH5s.

Wow....
What a disappointment that is...
Haven't see him being do disappointed many times till this day...
Should we think it over again maybe??
Offensive treble is a BIG TIME issue...
And personally... haven't listened to any iem with BAs in the nozzle...
That's certainly a risk there...

May 5, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #79 of 104
Greetings from China.

Heard a pair of these last week with a Shanling M6 2021 DAP. Not sure about whether this particular pair of FH5S was burned in, I was told it just arrived.
That pair was terminated with 3.5mm SE, so I did not try them out balanced.

I am quite familiar with FH5 too. Here’s my impression.

FH5 VS FH5S (impression of the FH5 from memory):
1. The FH5 has a W-curved sound signature, in that each of the treble, mid and high frequency bands seemed to work separately. The FH5S has a much more coherent sound, the transition of the bass to mids and mids to high is very good.
2. While the FH5 has a somewhat exciting signature. FH5S is tuned towards maturity and politeness. I am not sure driving them balanced will bring more life out of them, nor do I know whether they were well burned in. Looking at the difference in sensitivities and impedances of both, I have a feeling that the FH5S would probably benefit from balanced amp or with different settings on the switches. And I do believe I haven’t heard them in close to full potential. I would rate them as potentially great in SQ.

FD5 VS FH5S:
1. Both produce enormous soundstage, due to semi-open designed (But don’t expect to hear the environment much like AirPods or other earbuds). The presentation of the FD5 is front row, while the FH5S is like 5th row. The FD5 has a bass which is powerful and in your face (or in the head), the FH5S’ bass, mid and treble are more inline in one plane.
2. FD5 has a mild V-Curved FR, the FH5S is much more neutral.
3. The FH5S has tuning switches, the FD5 not. But unfortunately I haven’t tried out the different settings. All impression based on default setting
4. The FD5 has a unmistakably DD sound in the treble region, which could appeal to some.
5. The FD5 appears to have slightly more resolution, though I could be tricked to believe so given the more elevated treble.
6. The sound signature of both couldn’t be more different, Fiio wants us to buy both :)

That’s all I can think of now, hope that helps.
This review sounds totally different from the one on YouTube, so I wouldn’t write this one off based on that one review.

May 5, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #80 of 104
Wow....

I would hold fire for the moment and see what other reviewers say. As Ronion says, Zeissiez’s take was very different. You'll get a range of opinions on all sides and you can maybe find the truth for YOUR ears in there somewhere. And maybe even get a chance to demo them.

When I saw BGGA's response to these, I was very surprised. I suspect that either he got a faulty pair (it could happen) or perhaps the earphones don't pair well with his equipment (though I feel he would probably have checked this himself).

Anyway, let's see what other opinions emerge....

May 5, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #81 of 104
I would hold fire for the moment and see what other reviewers say. As Ronion says, Zeissiez’s take was very different. You'll get a range of opinions on all sides and you can maybe find the truth for YOUR ears in there somewhere. And maybe even get a chance to demo them.

When I saw BGGA's response to these, I was very surprised. I suspect that either he got a faulty pair (it could happen) or perhaps the earphones don't pair well with his equipment (though I feel he would probably have checked this himself).

True so far... Probably right...
But.. as far as pairing with sources goes cannot believe that he could go wrong with that especially BGGAR....
Or maybe he is too tremble sensitive himself...
Anyway.. It's a penalty for Fiio to go wrong with this one, especially when having FD5 as a flagship priced just a bit more than this..

May 5, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #82 of 104
6036176A-621F-4AAE-A857-27D18478C189.jpeg

Came back to the shop again haha.

With the switches at default. I ran through my test tracks. Nope, the treble is perfect, passed my hot-treble test track by Chris Botti with flying colors. Better than many other iems I tried. In fact, for symphony tracks, I prefer flipping the treble switch up for a little extra air.

Attachments

• 2B53B659-4749-4E19-805A-B37AF365880F.jpeg
    2B53B659-4749-4E19-805A-B37AF365880F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • AF1FDC0B-56D7-4080-ABF0-F6D9DEA7F4A3.jpeg
    AF1FDC0B-56D7-4080-ABF0-F6D9DEA7F4A3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • F5F5302E-80A5-4AF0-8A94-4537CA17BCA9.jpeg
    F5F5302E-80A5-4AF0-8A94-4537CA17BCA9.jpeg
    645.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #84 of 104
E854D207-C9A6-4EEE-80C4-BC1FEDE0E320.jpeg

Neo, Fir M5, FH5S

The FH5S compared to the likes of M5, Andromeda 2020, is more polite, less exciting, less bite. It’s like a photo with light sharpening and light contrast. Which is suitable for prolonged listening. Especially with the semi-open design, it’s less boomy than the M5.

May 5, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #85 of 104

It should be available in Shanghai headfi stores, it’s best to audition yourself.

May 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #86 of 104
It should be available in Shanghai headfi stores, it’s best to audition yourself.
Well...guys here in Athens, Greece auditioning FH5s is just out of question...
I ll have to trust other people's opinions and thoughts and take the leap of faith maybe...
Nevertheless... can't help thinking on BGGARs straight opinion regarding putting BAs straight to the nozzles.. Cause according to BGGAR the problem lies there.. If there is a problem that is of course..
On the other hand... " suitable for prolonged listening" is very encouraging indeed diminishing any thoughts about offensive treble etc....

May 5, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #87 of 104
Wow....
The FH5s has 3 sound tuning switches, it is welcomed to use it in your local store to get your own feeling. For the sound , different people has different feeling.Or we can wait for more reviewers's feeling!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 5, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #88 of 104
6e40f4fegy1gptdyuck59j24802tcu0x.jpg

Dear respected customers,

Thank you for your kind patience and constant attention for our FH5s. Delivery of the FH5s has started from 4th, May. Please kindly check this post for a daily updated list of countries / regions and agents we have sent goods to.

May 4th:

Thailand: Holysai

HongKong: Carve Link Company

Vietnam:Audio Choice

TaiWan: Taiwan distributor

Hungary: KriptonIT Kft

Bangladesh: GFE

Belarus: Magnit Invest

Canada: Canada distributor

(* The shipping to other regions will also follow soon, and we will keep updating this post)

In order to get prompt pre-sales and after-sales service, we strongly suggest you to buy FiiO products from our authorized sales agents (Where to buy).

By our estimate, it would take 5 to 7 working days for the parcels to reach our agents abroad, which means all of you can try contacting the local sales agents on about 11th May.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us or directly contact our local agents.

Happy listening!

Best regards,
FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 6, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #89 of 104
Well...guys here in Athens, Greece auditioning FH5s is just out of question...
I ll have to trust other people's opinions and thoughts and take the leap of faith maybe...
Nevertheless... can't help thinking on BGGARs straight opinion regarding putting BAs straight to the nozzles.. Cause according to BGGAR the problem lies there.. If there is a problem that is of course..
On the other hand... " suitable for prolonged listening" is very encouraging indeed diminishing any thoughts about offensive treble etc....
The FH3 has a BA high frequency driver on its nozzle and it sounds quite good. Not flagship level but the iem is not priced that way. Maybe the BA driver choice doesn't suit well with BGGAR's taste? I can't say as I'm not a follower of his channel.

May 6, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #90 of 104
Just to share an impression here by a headfier on Erji.net

http://erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2225820

1. Good craftsmanship.
2. Tuning: solid, serious, mature, polite (as oppose to exciting)
3. FR is fine, the transitions are great, especially from the bass to mids. Coherent in timbre palate. Treble extension a little reserved, a longer decay would be perfect.
4. Density, resolution, imaging accuracy nothing to nitpick below USD300.
5. With a Fiio Q5S, single ended, vocal is superb. The density and flow is great. Better than with balanced out, although base authority is better with 4.4 balanced, and soundstage up another level.
5. Amping: doesn’t sound bad with poor device. But with good sources, the scalability is great. The 12mm bass driver benefits from more powerful sources. With desktop setup, the solidity and energy improved yet again. The bass is very satisfying.
6. Conclusion: The selling price is fair, even at double the current price is fine.

In the subsequent follow up, he mentioned the treble airiness opened up after burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back