With Both Good Looks and Strengths, FiiO FH5s, 2BA 2DD IEMs, Is Officially Released!
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #31 of 104
Definitely looks like FiiO has honed its design prowess in its last 2 IEMs. Not sure which one, the FD5 or the FH5s looks more enticing. I guess the FD5 looks more classic while the FH5s looks more sleek and modern. Both look top notch for sure though. I actually hope the tuning switches are fairly subtle. The baseline looks within range for what most people would want.

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #32 of 104
I had the FH5 for a while. I liked it for the signature but sold it for something newer and shiner. Regretted that and looking forward to hearing more about the FH5s. Guessing that the staging and separation will be more expansive due to the venting? Wondering how it will handle the lower bass area? I'm interested...

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 104
Definitely looks like FiiO has honed its design prowess in its last 2 IEMs. Not sure which one, the FD5 or the FH5s looks more enticing. I guess the FD5 looks more classic while the FH5s looks more sleek and modern. Both look top notch for sure though. I actually hope the tuning switches are fairly subtle. The baseline looks within range for what most people would want.

I am expecting resolution and imaging to exceed KBear Believe since those are beryllium drivers. Power hungry 40ohm, may need minimum 100mW? Time to put E1DA back to work.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #35 of 104
2. Tuning switches have generally been useless.

yeah, my experience with tuning switches have left me thinking they should just not bother..

Still I’m looking forward to this release. Nice to see another iem with DD mids.
HeadphoneBar says it shouldn’t be too long but I’m not too sure what that means... ha ha

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #37 of 104
Very exciting release I was so impressed by FD5 and then EM5, this one is bound to be great value for money!
Sub'ed!

A FD5 / FH5s comparison is going to be interesting... lots of interesting tech in there for the price segment.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #38 of 104
It look quite good to make a pay!

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #39 of 104
if only it is 2pin, all my cables are 2pin

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #40 of 104
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #41 of 104
Very exciting release I was so impressed by FD5 and then EM5, this one is bound to be great value for money!
Sub'ed!

A FD5 / FH5s comparison is going to be interesting... lots of interesting tech in there for the price segment.
David, would you say that FD5 is a BIG sounding iem?
The last time I experienced that kind of presentation was with ISN H40.
And since then I am searching for a straight competitor of H40's signature.
Well I cannot go for both that's for sure...
By the looks and only I felt in love with FH5s, but every single review I had the chance to read praised FD5 for it's bombastic presentation..

May 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #42 of 104
would you say that FD5 is a BIG sounding iem?
Definitely has good space, and great depth, imaging, etc. They are easily the best FPS gaming tool I have, though I wouldn't recommend them for music due to their sharpness. I would recommend FH3 over FD5 for music. I definitely did not like the sound of H40. :\ Tanchjim Oxygen might offer a similar experience, actually. Best vocals I've heard so far, and well balanced & smooth, though not super spacious. I would take it over the overly-bassy H40.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #43 of 104
The IEM is already available in China. Any impressions or reviews from Chinese users maybe?

May 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #44 of 104
Greetings from China.

Heard a pair of these last week with a Shanling M6 2021 DAP. Not sure about whether this particular pair of FH5S was burned in, I was told it just arrived.
92675354-A759-4B8D-A70F-1EC87DD81686.jpeg

That pair was terminated with 3.5mm SE, so I did not try them out balanced.

I am quite familiar with FH5 too. Here’s my impression.

FH5 VS FH5S (impression of the FH5 from memory):
1. The FH5 has a W-curved sound signature, in that each of the treble, mid and high frequency bands seemed to work separately. The FH5S has a much more coherent sound, the transition of the bass to mids and mids to high is very good.
2. While the FH5 has a somewhat exciting signature. FH5S is tuned towards maturity and politeness. I am not sure driving them balanced will bring more life out of them, nor do I know whether they were well burned in. Looking at the difference in sensitivities and impedances of both, I have a feeling that the FH5S would probably benefit from balanced amp or with different settings on the switches. And I do believe I haven’t heard them in close to full potential. I would rate them as potentially great in SQ.

FD5 VS FH5S:
1. Both produce enormous soundstage, due to semi-open designed (But don’t expect to hear the environment much like AirPods or other earbuds). The presentation of the FD5 is front row, while the FH5S is like 5th row. The FD5 has a bass which is powerful and in your face (or in the head), the FH5S’ bass, mid and treble are more inline in one plane.
2. FD5 has a mild V-Curved FR, the FH5S is much more neutral.
3. The FH5S has tuning switches, the FD5 not. But unfortunately I haven’t tried out the different settings. All impression based on default setting
4. The FD5 has a unmistakably DD sound in the treble region, which could appeal to some.
5. The FD5 appears to have slightly more resolution, though I could be tricked to believe so given the more elevated treble.
6. The sound signature of both couldn’t be more different, Fiio wants us to buy both :)

That’s all I can think of now, hope that helps.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #45 of 104
Greetings from China.

Heard a pair of these last week with a Shanling M6 2021 DAP. Not sure about whether this particular pair of FH5S was burned in, I was told it just arrived.
That pair was terminated with 3.5mm SE, so I did not try them out balanced.

I am quite familiar with FH5 too. Here’s my impression.

FH5 VS FH5S (impression of the FH5 from memory):
1. The FH5 has a W-curved sound signature, in that each of the treble, mid and high frequency bands seemed to work separately. The FH5S has a much more coherent sound, the transition of the bass to mids and mids to high is very good.
2. While the FH5 has a somewhat exciting signature. FH5S is tuned towards maturity and politeness. I am not sure driving them balanced will bring more life out of them, nor do I know whether they were well burned in. Looking at the difference in sensitivities and impedances of both, I have a feeling that the FH5S would probably benefit from balanced amp or with different settings on the switches. And I do believe I haven’t heard them in close to full potential. I would rate them as potentially great in SQ.

FD5 VS FH5S:
1. Both produce enormous soundstage, due to semi-open designed (But don’t expect to hear the environment much like AirPods or other earbuds). The presentation of the FD5 is front row, while the FH5S is like 5th row. The FD5 has a bass which is powerful and in your face (or in the head), the FH5S’ bass, mid and treble are more inline in one plane.
2. FD5 has a mild V-Curved FR, the FH5S is much more neutral.
3. The FH5S has tuning switches, the FD5 not. But unfortunately I haven’t tried out the different settings. All impression based on default setting
4. The FD5 has a unmistakably DD sound in the treble region, which could appeal to some.
5. The FD5 appears to have slightly more resolution, though I could be tricked to believe so given the more elevated treble.
6. The sound signature of both couldn’t be more different, Fiio wants us to buy both :)

That’s all I can think of now, hope that helps.
Wow! Thank you for these impressions! :) Sounds quite interesting to me! :) Do you own any higher priced IEM and could comment on "punches above its price range - yes or no?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back