wishing for an audiophile mobile phone
May 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #16 of 41
Subb'd.  :popcorn:

Want Mobile Audiophile phone.  

My experience with Fiio, ALO and Ray Samuels Audio amplifiers is they are all susceptible to radio frequency interferance. I switched from an iPhone to an iPod Touch (in airplane mode) to eleminate RF interferance. I have tried all manner of dampners without success.

May 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 41
My experience with Fiio, ALO and Ray Samuels Audio amplifiers is they are all susceptible to radio frequency interferance. I switched from an iPhone to an iPod Touch (in airplane mode) to eleminate RF interferance. I have tried all manner of dampners without success.

can u elaborate on this point what u mean exactly, my setup is fiio x3 and ifi ican nano would any radio interference affect sound

May 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 41
can u elaborate on this point what u mean exactly, my setup is fiio x3 and ifi ican nano would any radio interference affect sound

When the wifi or radio antenna is sending or receiving and you are listening to music through an external amp you can hear an audible hiss when the music is off or on low volume. Turn off the radio and/or wifi and it instantly vanishes. Even if I move my iPhone within 6" or so of my portable rig I can sometimes hear a hiss.

May 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #20 of 41
When the wifi or radio antenna is sending or receiving and you are listening to music through an external amp you can hear an audible hiss when the music is off or on low volume. Turn off the radio and/or wifi and it instantly vanishes. Even if I move my iPhone within 6" or so of my portable rig I can sometimes hear a hiss.

i don't get it the fiio has no wifi so how can it be affected by what u say

May 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 41
  i don't get it the fiio has no wifi so how can it be affected by what u say

wifi radio frequency is around 2.5GHz, audible audio signal is up to 20KHz.  I don't get what he means by hissing?  Shoudn't be getting hissing from phone or wifi signals.  Hissing is typically thermal noise picked up, and picked up by sensitive iems, and most likely the amp's gain is high enough to provide hissing to sensitive iems.

All kinds of signals are present in the air, and noise is also caused by other affects such as heat.  I have my cellphone on top of my home amp.  
tongue_smile.gif
 I have heard some sort of radio signal on my amp from time to time if my phone is near, when there is a call coming up, I guess it gets into the audible frequency this signal that is picked up.  Sections of circuits can be isolated:

kinda crude example, but

This isolated the amp/dac from the pc interior low frequency devices such as fans, and power devices that emits magnetic fields.

May 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 41
This article seems to rate the iPhone 5 pretty highly;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

Add to this that rumours suggest Apple may start to offer hi-resolution music files on its iTunes platform soon and it's looking even better.

I'm just about to purchase some Dita Answer IEMs and many have suggested that the iphone 5 I have is more than good enough.

May 31, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 41
Hi are there informations/tests about the sound quality and power output of oppo find 7, one+one, vivo xplay 3s and lg g3?

the only info i've been able to find on the lg g3 is that the speaker output is 1Watt, and it can surge to 1.5W.  presumably the same amp goes to the headphone out, but i've not been able to find that documented.  there have as yet been NO evaluations of its sound quality.  i assume it is using the same integrated dac [on the snapdragon 801 soc] as all the other phones.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 41
Thanks, me too unable to find any interesting sound test about headphones out (I don't care about the speaker)

There is soomal.com if you read chinese, or can find a chinese person with reasonably good english and know their audiophile glossary, to translate it for you.
Here's the 3S review: http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004701.htm

I've read most of their reviews and basically they think the 3S is the best-sounding headphone out on a phone right now -- you need to be in "hifi" mode where it uses the ES9018 K2M chip. It's not very good in normal mode (where it uses the Qualcomm WCD9320).

However they consider the iPhone 5S and HTC M8 (which uses the Qualcomm chip) pretty much as second only to the 3S, so the audio chip doesn't tell the whole story.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 41

There is soomal.com if you read chinese, or can find a chinese person with reasonably good english and know their audiophile glossary, to translate it for you.
Here's the 3S review: http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004701.htm

I've read most of their reviews and basically they think the 3S is the best-sounding headphone out on a phone right now -- you need to be in "hifi" mode where it uses the ES9018 K2M chip. It's not very good in normal mode (where it uses the Qualcomm WCD9320).

However they consider the iPhone 5S and HTC M8 (which uses the Qualcomm chip) pretty much as second only to the 3S, so the audio chip doesn't tell the whole story.

Not only that I think that Vivo is overinflating the price considering no 128GB MicroSD port wich could have been a game changer. What a waste for a seemingly good dac. The HTC One M8 supports the latest 128GB Micro SD and its has goods reviews in terms of SQ. All things considered I think it's a much better choice even when there is no crazy good dedicated dap/opamp for Vivo's 32 GB of shared with contacts and apps is simply not good enough at this point of the mobile phone technology, no room to upload your 24/192 collection which is a rather puzzling move for VIvo and makes you feel it is a USD700 piece of crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back