Wirless equivalent to the MDR CD3000
Apr 7, 2003 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gouki

Head-Fier
Hi People,

I:ve just bought the Eggos and now I want to know if anybody knows if I can get a good quality wireless set.

I;ve heard some good things about the Sony MDR CD3000, but I kind of like to have a wireless for watching movies and stuff on my computer.

I know there is a Senns. wireless version of the HD580, but this time I want to get a japanese phone because I'm in Japan now.

Or, do you think I should stick to a good wired pair?

Apr 7, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 15
I have not heard of a wireless headphone that can match the fidelity of a wired headphone, yet.

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 15
If it did, the output would probably give you an instant brain tumor
smily_headphones1.gif

Wireless radio stuff just isn't up to snuff with a wire. Requires way too much power to sound right.

It almost makes me want to invent a way to create a decoder chip for a pair of headphones and then stream a digital signal over 802.11. The signal would be perfect. However, it would still require a pretty decent chunk of power. As you'd have to amplify the signal once it is decoded, (onboard amp) AND leech power to drive the phones. Would need some type of lithium recharable battery me thinks.

Oh well.... hopefully some other company will invent it, I'm too lazy and not smartys enough.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 15
There was an infrared version of the HD580, but it is not made anymore.

It was $1350 USD, and the batteries lasted a whole 4 hours (published...probably, more like 2 and a half) for reasons that the poster above mentioned.

I don't believe it was digital.

Apr 7, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 15
Piece of cake. Take your CD3000s, plug in the ipod, and drop it inot the right earcup. Now coil up the extra cable and stuff it into the left earcup, allowing the remote to dangle in between. Instant wireless Sonys!

The closest thing that we are apt to get is when some obsessed headphone geek developes a portable amp with a built in receiver and d/a converter. Almost wireless heaven!

gerG

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 15
Hello Gouki
I own a pair of the Sennheiser IS 850. As far as wireless headphones go they are easily the finest I have tried. All of the other wireless headphones I have tried I would not consider for anything other than background music. The headphones are digital and I generally get about 4 hours on the batteries. They are not available new any more, but they do come up occasionally used for about $400-$500. As good as they are they are not even as good as my HD600 with my MG Head.

For most people I would not recommend wireless headphones but they do have their place. For me they were my first pair of good headphones. Before I bought them I only bought very cheap headphones because my bird (a yellow -nape amazon) loves to chew on headphone cords. We have been together for over 20 years (longer unfortunately, than any girlfriend) and this isn’t the first concession I have made to her. I am telling you this to explain why I decided to buy my Sony MDR-DS5100 for late night movie viewing. Sony was the first company to come out with surround sound headphones. They aren’t true surround sound and could never compete with a good surround sound speaker system. But to my surprise I discovered that if I use my HD600 with the Sony surround processor and listen to a dts DVDs the sound is very satisfying. It is certainly better than listening to movies through TV speakers and is even better than cheap one-box speaker systems such as the Bose speakers that my parents have. The wireless headphones that come with the Sony surround system are comfortable to wear and don’t sound bad, but they are not as good as my IS 850 and I would never use them for listening to music. If you have to have wireless headphones I would suggest that you the Sony’s or the newer Pioneer headphones. JMedeiros wrote a review about them (see headphone reviews). Also check out www.audiocubes.com they sell both the Pioneer and Sony. If you are using your computer you will need optical out to hear the dts track. I am not real knowledgeable about computers to tell you if you could do that. Otherwise I would suggest that you get a good set of wired headphones and an amp. That solution might be a more flexible. However, if you do audition the Pioneer or Sony headphones tell me what you think about them. Good luck.

Edwin

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwin
Hello Gouki
I own a pair of the Sennheiser IS 850. As far as wireless headphones go they are easily the finest I have tried. All of the other wireless headphones I have tried I would not consider for anything other than background music. The headphones are digital and I generally get about 4 hours on the batteries. They are not available new any more, but they do come up occasionally used for about $400-$500. As good as they are they are not even as good as my HD600 with my MG Head.

For most people I would not recommend wireless headphones but they do have their place. For me they were my first pair of good headphones. Before I bought them I only bought very cheap headphones because my bird (a yellow -nape amazon) loves to chew on headphone cords. We have been together for over 20 years (longer unfortunately, than any girlfriend) and this isn’t the first concession I have made to her. I am telling you this to explain why I decided to buy my Sony MDR-DS5100 for late night movie viewing. Sony was the first company to come out with surround sound headphones. They aren’t true surround sound and could never compete with a good surround sound speaker system. But to my surprise I discovered that if I use my HD600 with the Sony surround processor and listen to a dts DVDs the sound is very satisfying. It is certainly better than listening to movies through TV speakers and is even better than cheap one-box speaker systems such as the Bose speakers that my parents have. The wireless headphones that come with the Sony surround system are comfortable to wear and don’t sound bad, but they are not as good as my IS 850 and I would never use them for listening to music. If you have to have wireless headphones I would suggest that you the Sony’s or the newer Pioneer headphones. JMedeiros wrote a review about them (see headphone reviews). Also check out www.audiocubes.com they sell both the Pioneer and Sony. If you are using your computer you will need optical out to hear the dts track. I am not real knowledgeable about computers to tell you if you could do that. Otherwise I would suggest that you get a good set of wired headphones and an amp. That solution might be a more flexible. However, if you do audition the Pioneer or Sony headphones tell me what you think about them. Good luck.

Edwin

Wow thanks Edwin for that.

Senns. are just too expensive here in Japan. There are heaps of Sony/jap headphones that I've never seen before (well...I haven't seen much of headphones anyway).

I'll use the Eggos for the time being, until I come across something that I might like.

Japan, too many options, too little time.

Apr 8, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 15
There's an interesting option here. If this works, it should allow you to run a wireless connection between a source and any headphone amp. If I'm reading it right, you couldn't simply run a headphone from the receiver.

Apr 8, 2003 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Now if some ambitious DIY could take the receiver and integrate it with a Meta
we might have a very interesting product.
Humm.

EDIT: I like the sound of a project like this.
I may have found a source for this product locally.
If the price is reasonable I might be tempted to experiment.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 15
Bootman - what source?

I thought about TRYING to intergrate the innards of an ipod with an amp. In the end, power is the issue. Trying to power both would be a hassle.

I think the discussion at hand though is wireless headphones not source.

How do you get the music to the headphone without a wire?

The only way to do this with any amount of fidelity in my opinion is over a digital source. If someone hack up an 802.11 card with a decoder that would be ideal. That would require a decent chunk of processing power. With all the obstacles involved, imo, it just isn't worth getting rid of cables just yet. It is a novelty at best
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Gouki
Hi People,

I:ve just bought the Eggos and now I want to know if anybody knows if I can get a good quality wireless set.

I;ve heard some good things about the Sony MDR CD3000, but I kind of like to have a wireless for watching movies and stuff on my computer.

I know there is a Senns. wireless version of the HD580, but this time I want to get a japanese phone because I'm in Japan now.

Or, do you think I should stick to a good wired pair?

Doesn't Sony make a wireless headphone designed specifically for home theatre?

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
There's an interesting option here. If this works, it should allow you to run a wireless connection between a source and any headphone amp. If I'm reading it right, you couldn't simply run a headphone from the receiver.

Bootman and Hirsch,

I've got a brand new Amphony Transmitter and receiver (H1000) that you two are talking about. (It's a great idea, BTW)

If you're interested in it, PM me.

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by TWIFOSP
Bootman - what source?

How do you get the music to the headphone without a wire?

If you follow the link that Hirsch posted you will see that the product has a transmitter and a receiver.

In theory, this would let you "beem" any source to the receiver.
You would then feed the receiver to a headphone amp via RCAs.

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Doesn't Sony make a wireless headphone designed specifically for home theatre?

Edwin did mention the Sony MDR-DS5100 in his post above.
confused.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
Bootman and Hirsch,

I've got a brand new Amphony Transmitter and receiver (H1000) that you two are talking about. (It's a great idea, BTW)

If you're interested in it, PM me.

Please post details of the Amphony Transmitter in the Amplification Forum (or should it be the cable forum
wink.gif
). There may be more people interested than just the two of us
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back