Wiring help for DIY AKG K271 Headphone cable
Jan 24, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by itza2mer
Now I've discovered that I can 'grab' the Switchcraft mini-XLR pins with a magnet, even thought the specs at the Swtchcraft site claim that the pins are silver plated copper.

When manufacturers like Switchcraft & Neutrik claim silver-plated conductors, it's usually nickel-plated.

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

When manufacturers like Switchcraft & Neutrik claim silver-plated conductors, it's usually nickel-plated.

they both post the actual mixture of their alloys. when Neutrik says "silver" they mean the color, not the alloy. Neutrik's 1/4" plugs do not contain silver while their XLR's do. switchcraft i believe actually does use silver, but it's not pure--it's an alloy. look on the web sites. they don't hide anything.

you won't find any pure silver plated components--they would all corrode too fast.

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 38
Full Specs here:

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/connectors-23.html

I'm assuming the silver used is stainless silver, which would contain an magnetic alloy.

MATERIAL

Housing, Plugs and Male Receptacles: Copper alloy, nickel-plated. Female Receptacle_Die-cast zinc, nickel-plated.

Black Tini Q-G® Housing: Copper alloy, black chrome-plated.

Pin and Socket Contacts: Copper alloy, silver-plated.

Flex Relief: Molded black thermoplastic elastomer.

Latch Button: Molded black thermoplastic.

Release Lever and Mounting Washer: Steel, nickel-plated.

Standoff/Ground Terminal and Cable Clamp: Steel, electrotinned.

Inserts and Insulating Spacer: Molded, high strength thermoplastic.

Latch (Female): Copper alloy, nickel-plated.

Mounting Nut: Copper alloy, nickel-plated.

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #20 of 38
lets say someone had someone build a cable for his akg k271 studio... and lets say that they didnt have one to look at when creating this cable... is it safe to assume that said cable will switch the left and right channels?

crapass!

oh well, maybe I can just wear them backwards... will the drivers still line up properly if I wear them the other way around?

[btw... coming to this conclusion after reading the talk about the switched xlr channels... and yes, I am the 'someone' in this story... lol]

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
lets say someone had someone build a cable for his akg k271 studio... and lets say that they didnt have one to look at when creating this cable... is it safe to assume that said cable will switch the left and right channels?

crapass!

oh well, maybe I can just wear them backwards... will the drivers still line up properly if I wear them the other way around?

[btw... coming to this conclusion after reading the talk about the switched xlr channels... and yes, I am the 'someone' in this story... lol]

The easy thing to do is switch the 1/4" plug wiring, unless you decided to epoxy everything into place. 'someone' that I know has made that mistake a few times
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 38
well the cable is being made by someone who does this professionally... so I'm not sure...

now that I'm thinking about this though... having the cable on the right side would sort of work better for me anyways...

is there anything wrong with wearing them the wrong way on your head? will everything still line up properly?

Jan 24, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
well the cable is being made by someone who does this professionally... so I'm not sure...

now that I'm thinking about this though... having the cable on the right side would sort of work better for me anyways...

is there anything wrong with wearing them the wrong way on your head? will everything still line up properly?

As long as the drivers are not mounted at an angle (like Sony CD3000's), they should sound the same when you reverse them. Why not?

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #24 of 38
cool... well I might not worry about it then... I'll let them know though, just in case they start producing this akg 271 cable as part of their line...

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Ozric
Hey itza2mer,

Could you post your impressions/photos of the replacement cable you made for your AKGs?

Thanks.

I'll have brief impressions in a few days. DJMart never shipped my phones (still on 'backorder'), so I cancelled that order and ordered some from Todd The Vinyl Junkie. Gadgetpros never processed my order for the Scosche RCA plugs I ordered (just for the cool looking handles), so I ordered from Valco Electronics. I can't finish the cable until I have those plug handles. I should have the plugs and headphones next week.

Feb 7, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #28 of 38
Just got the plugs I wanted today (Sat.). They look just like the handles Zu Cable uses. The difference is the EFX-Scosche handles have a shiny chrome finish, while the Zu handle has a matte finish. I'm also sure Zu paid much less for their plugs than I did! Now it's time to whip out the Dremel tools, and get to work!

Feb 8, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Ozric
So you're using the Switchcraft TA3F connector but the Scosche housing? Are you going to be using silver wire?

Correct. I'm using the Scosche housing to replace the housing on the 1/4" plug and the TA3F conncetor. Yes, I'm using 99.999% 24 guage solid Pure Silver that I bought from "oooh_my_god" on ebay. Most places sell 99.99% pure (Like Homegrown Audio, Cardas, A-M Systems). I originally bought the silver wire to replace my Sony CD3000 cable, but I scrapped those plans when one of the drivers died on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back