Wiring help for DIY AKG K271 Headphone cable
Jan 10, 2004 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

itza2mer

500+ Head-Fier
I need wiring help for DIY AKG K271 Headphone cable. I want to have this cable ready whenever my K271's finally arrive from DJmart (backordered until the 20th). The K271 uses a cable terminated with a 1/4" plug on one end, and a 3 pin XLR connector. Without a stock cable to compare to, I'm uncertain as to how to wire the mini-XLR. My question is, which pin (1,2,3) is used for the left channel, right channel, and return/negative? Link to photo here of my connector here: http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...ption=mini_xlr

Thanks

Jan 10, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 38
general XLR convention is:

pin 1: ground
pin 2: pos
pin 3: neg

and usually on 1/4 or mini TRS, tip = pos = left, and ring = neg = right

so, pin 2 = left, pin 3 = right

that's conventional of course. i don't know if the AKG cable follows convention.

but i have a question for you: where do you buy those mini XLR's? i have never seen one before.

Jan 10, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
general XLR convention is:

pin 1: ground
pin 2: pos
pin 3: neg

and usually on 1/4 or mini TRS, tip = pos = left, and ring = neg = right

so, pin 2 = left, pin 3 = right

that's conventional of course. i don't know if the AKG cable follows convention.

but i have a question for you: where do you buy those mini XLR's? i have never seen one before.

Thanks for the info, it does help clear things up a bit. However, as you have mentioned above, it could be that the AKG connector doesn't follow convention. One thing that adds to the puzzle is that AKG states that the AKG 271 uses a TA4F mini-XLR connector. TA4F is a Switchcraft part number, however it is a 4 pin connector. I've been informed that the 271 mini-XLR connector has only 3 pins.

I originally bought a 4 pin connector (made by Calred) at a place that sells several types of mini and regular XLR connectors:
http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/25500-25.HTM Note: mini-XLR connectors costs $6-8 dollars.

When I found out that the AKG only uses a 3 pin XLR, I lucked out and found someone on ebay selling 2 new Switchcraft TA3F connectors. With shipping, 2 connectors cost me a little over $6.00 total. This seller may have more in the future to sell: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=41460&rd=1

The build quality of the Calrad and Switchcraft connectors is about the same.

Jan 10, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 38
why don't you take original cable and probe it using multimeter?

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
why don't you take original cable and probe it using multimeter?

I'm waiting for DJmart to ship my K271 headphones (they are backordered). If I had the AKG cable, I would have used a multimeter. I'm hoping that maybe someone here at Head-Fi that has an K271, or another AKG model using the 1/4" to mini-XLR cable, can help me out. I would like to have my DIY cable built so that when my headphones do arrive, I can use it.

Jan 10, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 38
Probed mine with a multimeter:

Pin 1 : Ground
Pin 2 : Ring/Right
Pin 3 : Tip/Left

So Orpheus is right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
CK

Jan 10, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 38
Thanks Orpheus, and thanks ckng for confirming what Orpheus posted by probing your cable. I'm glad AKG kept the wiring basic. Both of you saved me from a lot of grief and aggravation.

Jan 10, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 38
um, ckng,

actually that's the opposite of what i said. pin 2 is supposed to be left and pin 3 is supposed to be right.

on your headphone plug, 1/4" or mini, the tip IS left, and the ring IS right. that's for sure.

so, if your tip is connected to pin 3, and the ring to pin 2, then AKG wired it backwards.... which was what i was afraid of. i mean backwards in the sense that they aren't following convention. if you have time make sure you have the XLR pins numbered correctly, and test again...

Jan 10, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

um, ckng,

actually that's the opposite of what i said. pin 2 is supposed to be left and pin 3 is supposed to be right.

on your headphone plug, 1/4" or mini, the tip IS left, and the ring IS right. that's for sure.

so, if your tip is connected to pin 3, and the ring to pin 2, then AKG wired it backwards.... which was what i was afraid of. i mean backwards in the sense that they aren't following convention. if you have time make sure you have the XLR pins numbered correctly, and test again...

Oops!, I'm glad you caught that before I did anything!

Jan 11, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

um, ckng,

Oops! I must have misread your post then. Sorry if that's caused any confusion.
tongue.gif

On my AKG 271's mini-XLR cable, if you look at it with the sockets facing you, it's labelled like this :

Quote:

I retested and 3 is indeed tip/left.

Regards
CK

Jan 11, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by ckng
Oops! I must have misread your post then. Sorry if that's caused any confusion.
tongue.gif

On my AKG 271's mini-XLR cable, if you look at it with the sockets facing you, it's labelled like this :

Quote:

I retested and 3 is indeed tip/left.

Regards
CK

Thanks for clearing things up once and for all! I'll be able to finish building the cable tomorrow.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 38
Not yet, but any day now. I hate the bland look of switchcraft handles, but I like the way the plugs 'sound' on other cables I've made, and the fact that they use copper instead of brass. I ordered some RCA plugs with 'cool' looking handles. If the threads don't match up, I'll grind the threads down and jb weld it into place.

Note: I'm trying to avoid using any brass for the connectors. I have a 1/4" Canare plug, which is brass. I can 'grab' it with a magnet. Now I've discovered that I can 'grab' the Switchcraft mini-XLR pins with a magnet, even thought the specs at the Swtchcraft site claim that the pins are silver plated copper. I was thinking of buying some copper phono pins, but I think that the mini-XLR pins are smaller than phono pins. I'll probably end up letting the pins slide, or try to find a way to demagnetize them.

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 38
I received my RCA plugs today. They have a black chrome look which I like, but they are not the look I want design wise. I did order another type of RCA plug, and the handles look more like I had in mind, but they're just plain old nickel plated. I might cave in and buy a electroplating kit off ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back