Wiring a sub please help?
Aug 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sluker

500+ Head-Fier
When hooking up a sub, is it better to split the RCA's at the pre-amp (LD MKIII) or at the source (in this case a v-dac)?
Thanks
V-DAC

>LD MKIII
>ADCOM GFA5400---->speakers.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Wouldn't this depend on the sub?  Some are set up to take the output of the power amp and filter the lows to the sub and send the rest of the signal to the speakers.  If your sub takes a line-level input and is self-powered, I'd hook it up to the preamp.  If you connect it to the source, the volume knob won't work - you'll just get maximum output from the sub at all times.  But if you put it behind the preamp, the sub's level should adjust along with the volume.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks man,
I did this and it does work better. By the way the sub is a Jamo, and it does have line level input (200w), and it also has a volume adjuster.
One issue I am having is that the volume (on the LD MKIII) does not have a great deal of range before it gets too loud for my listening space. As a result I really only "feel" the sub kicking in when the volume is high or when there is heavy bass in the music.
Is there a way to reduce the gain that the LD MKIII is supplying to the amps?

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Can't you just reduce the volume using the control on the sub amp itself? 

Seems the only way to easily do it.

I use my Woo 3 as preamp and have the signal split to my Velodyne sub and Rotel amp. At 9 O'clock on the Woo 3 the volume is already 80 dB+ to my speakers from the Rotel. I use the volume on the sub to get the amount of bass I want. I have 2 processors upstream of the Woo 3 so I have good flexibility with bass output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back