Wireworks glass toslink - mini in the works
Jun 20, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
I am told that the Wireworks company will soon be introducing a toslink to mini version of their Supernova optical interconnect. Apparently it is currently under manufacture, but no actual shipping date yet.

This might be of interest to people who have been looking for a glass-based optical cable that does not require any optical adapters for use with a mini-toslink connection.

I know this question has come up a number of times here at head-fi, given the seeming popularity of sources with optical mini jacks.

It would certainly be interesting to compare this product to something like the Van Den Hul Optocoupler II, which is actually plastic based, not glass.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Interesting indeed!
There are always great to have more options for miniplug->TOSLINK cables.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds interesting. I'm also looking for a mini-toslink cable to use with my Macbook. Any idea on the price range?

No, but I have seen the existing Supernova toslink-toslink for £116.95 in the UK including VAT. I would be surprised if they were to charge a premium for having a different connector at one end, but then again I really don't know.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 13
That's interesting about the VDH. I didn't know what it was made of, just that the sound was better with it than the cheaper optical cables I've used.

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 13
^ Perhaps that is the reason I did not find the cable talked about...

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Perhaps that is the reason I did not find the cable talked about...

It has not yet been released. I wrote an email to Wireworld and I received the following response:

"We are just about to introduce our Supernova mini toslink cables, which are being made now, but we don’t have a ship date yet. Watch for that announcement in the news column on our new website. Let us know if we can be of any more assistance."

I hope this helps.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 13
^ I know.
But try searching for "Wireworks Supernova" and you see what I mean.
"Your search - "Wirework Supernova" - did not match any documents."

It helps getting the manufacturer name right.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

^ I know.
But try searching for "Wireworks Supernova" and you see what I mean.
"Your search - "Wirework Supernova" - did not match any documents."

It helps getting the manufacturer name right.
wink.gif

I never called Wireworld by the name Wirework, the originator of this thread did. I provided the correct name of the company. I hope that straightens things out and that my posting of the email I received from the manufacturer is helpful.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never called Wireworld by the name Wirework, the originator of this thread did. I provided the correct name of the company. I hope that straightens things out and that my posting of the email I received from the manufacturer is helpful.

Yes, and I never said that you did call it by the wrong name.
wink.gif

Edit. At least I referred to the OP when i wrote "It helps getting the manufacturer name right."

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Yes, and I never said that you did call it by the wrong name.
wink.gif

Edit. At least I referred to the OP when i wrote "It helps getting the manufacturer name right."

Sorry, my mind was not with it when I originally refered to the company. I did know they were Wireworld but my mind and fingers obviously preferred Wireworks
redface.gif

Still no news on their website about this new cable unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back