Wireless Router: Which is the most reliable?
May 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:
It depends on how advanced you are. Unless you have a specific need both the apple or netgear will do. Im an enthusiast so setting up or using both or any is not a problem at all with me but I would say apple is easer to srtup, use and has less(not all) of a chance of setup problems. The new revision has more powerful attenas than mine.
Look at its feature sets online for both devices. I can guarantee you right now that all of the extremes features work and work well. Netgears are more iffy.
Also keep in mind if you get an airport express you can extend your network and use it as a very good audiophile music streamer as it allows digital out so you can attach your own dac and amp. Its local streaming through airplay and allows for up to cd quality streams. As in uncompressed lossless 16/44.1 so its very good. It can extend your network as a new acess point, can have a wired cable attached to it, wireless priniting(i think), and is ALSO a router for $100.

I am a novice who wants a router with the best in reliability and speed.
According to Consumerresearch, the Extreme doesn't read all external
hard drive formats as does Netgear. I have no idea what this means or
how important.

Amazon consumer feedback on Netgear N900 (the top tier) gets 3.5 stars by 272 reviews
and the Extreme gets 4.5 stars by 196 reviews.

I question the ease of contacting Apple for any problems
but seems Netgear is making an effort by reading and responding
to some consumer problems posted on Amazon.

I am getting pricing for N900 in the $170 range, which model is $100 and
is N900 better?

May 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:
I am a novice who wants a router with the best in reliability and speed.
According to Consumerresearch, the Extreme doesn't read all external
hard drive formats as does Netgear. I have no idea what this means or
how important.

Amazon consumer feedback on Netgear N900 (the top tier) gets 3.5 stars by 272 reviews
and the Extreme gets 4.5 stars by 196 reviews.

I question the ease of contacting Apple for any problems
but seems Netgear is making an effort by reading and responding
to some consumer problems posted on Amazon.

I am getting pricing for N900 in the $170 range, which model is $100 and
is N900 better?

From what I am seeing the Netgear is faster. But your question is on reliability and service right? Apple wins that, but loses in speed.

When it says supported formats it means external drives. Some are in NFTS and some are Journal or FAT32 and what not. If you want to attach a drive to it then you should care. Otherwise you don't really need to.

May 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:
From what I am seeing the Netgear is faster. But your question is on reliability and service right? Apple wins that, but loses in speed.

When it says supported formats it means external drives. Some are in NFTS and some are Journal or FAT32 and what not. If you want to attach a drive to it then you should care. Otherwise you don't really need to.

Currently using Cisco/Linksys 4500 with Comcast and much faster than with AT&T using their Modem/router in one.

Tough decision: speed (Netgear) vs reliability (Extreme).   Is the N900 noticeably faster than the Extreme and is the Extreme significantly more reliable than the N900?

May 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:
Currently using Cisco/Linksys 4500 with Comcast and much faster than with AT&T using their Modem/router in one.

Tough decision: speed (Netgear) vs reliability (Extreme).   Is the N900 noticeably faster than the Extreme and is the Extreme significantly more reliable than the N900?

Bascically yeah. Extreme has an easier to use feature set that like Apple things just "works" while Netgear offers a wider more enthusiast range that has been known to have problems(both have problems but Netgear is noticeably more). The N900 in terms of speed yes is much faster in terms of transfer speed performance and all that good stuff but in terms of will you see it? Probably not.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/58-2_4-ghz-dn

Flip through the plethora of benchmarks. And note that you won't be able to tell to hard unless you do some serious stuff but it is a very big improvement if you move lots of data.

Apple Support is legendary. Netgear is just average. Apple support has been bogging down lately dropping a few percentages.....but stull maintain top place amongst PC makers.

If it is really such a hard descision then just make your own :) I wouldn't be able to choose as well. I might just go with the N900 though.

May 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:
Bascically yeah. Extreme has an easier to use feature set that like Apple things just "works" while Netgear offers a wider more enthusiast range that has been known to have problems(both have problems but Netgear is noticeably more). The N900 in terms of speed yes is much faster in terms of transfer speed performance and all that good stuff but in terms of will you see it? Probably not.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/58-2_4-ghz-dn

Flip through the plethora of benchmarks. And note that you won't be able to tell to hard unless you do some serious stuff but it is a very big improvement if you move lots of data.

Apple Support is legendary. Netgear is just average. Apple support has been bogging down lately dropping a few percentages.....but stull maintain top place amongst PC makers.

If it is really such a hard descision then just make your own :) I wouldn't be able to choose as well. I might just go with the N900 though.

Looking through the link above, the Extreme is slower.
Also, Linksys 4200 is even faster than any Netgear.
From what you previously wrote, Linksys has greater issues than Netgear?
So far the router I have (Linksys 4500) is working well and with good speed.
I still have over 3 weeks to return the Linksys and get Netgear N900.

May 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
Looking through the link above, the Extreme is slower.
Also, Linksys 4200 is even faster than any Netgear.
From what you previously wrote, Linksys h, as greater issues than Netgear?
So far the router I have (Linksys 4500) is working well and with good speed.
I still have over 3 weeks to return the Linksys and get Netgear N900.

Linksys? oh yeah. Yes they all work fine, but linksys is consistently less "reliable", has more problems at start and is more expensive. Remember, just because it is less reliable and more problems at start for some doesn't mean it will break the minute you get it. It's from the number of people that have it that have problems.

Yes it does seem like the 4500 wins usually, and really while Netgear is more "reliable" you don't need it if you are not having any problems

Also remember THERE ARE multiple N900's from different companies it seems. Make sure you are looking at Netgear N900 vs Linksys 4500. And not only that. The N900 has a 4500 model. 

Really it is up to you. I'm getting confused at which router is which as 4200,4500,900 are repeated so often for different companies. Keep Linksys. Since you already have it. Of course I am not responsible if anything happens.

May 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:
The internet stops to work for a few moments several times per day, is this most likely the router?
Everything checked out fine with Comcast.

Every day?

Do this. Connect your computer directly to the modem then. 

If it does this everyday then connecting to the modem directly will tell you with a good percent of chance that which is which. 

Connecting directly means to take the wire that connects the router and the modem and connect that to your Desktop or laptop. That isn't a special wire. Any "internet" cable of yours that is an Ethernet Cat 5 or Cat 6 will do.

If your connection really does stop working a few times a day then this will show (easiest way) what is happening. If it all goes fine when you do this and have no hiccups. Then proceed to hook the modem back up to the router again and use it like normal for a day. If it drops signal then, then it's with most likeliness the router.

Of course this doesn't 100% mean it is the router but it does say a lot. And remember, connection dropping due to router could also not be a defect. Even if it is the router, improperly put in settings could have an effect, or a reset of the router could also work(has for me). And there's also the off chance that the day you connected to the modem was a day when Comcast didn't give you any problems and vice versa.

I am just basing this simple test on the fact that your connection drops every day.

Try it out and report back. 
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #24 of 36
Linksys WRT54GL

This router is a legend. I have been using them ever since they came out in 2005. Of course I used 3rd party firmware. Currently using DD-WRT. I even used 3 of them as wifi bridges instead of running cables trough my apartment. And yes, it was as reliable as cables. I never had the connection drop on me. They work with everything, no issues setting things up.

It doesn't have 802.11n and crazy features like USB hosting. It might be out-dated on technologies, but it's a very stable and reliable gear. I highly recommend it.

May 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 36
Had a Netgear that worked fine for a good 7+ years. Recently switched to a Belkin (it was on sale) because the Netgear did not have good range - couldn't really get a good signal in the living room and my apartment is small. The Belkin somehow sorted the problem.

But yes, agree with previous posts that Netgear seems to be reliable - no hiccups in all those years of use and it didn't crap out on me, I just decided to "upgrade".

May 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #26 of 36
I think I will return the Linksys and get the Netgear N900.
Many more positive feedback and according to various reviews, the Netgear has better range and more reliable vs. Linksys.
Also, I am impressed with Netgear's responses to some customers who are having problems and post them on Amazon.

May 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:
I think I will return the Linksys and get the Netgear N900.
Many more positive feedback and according to various reviews, the Netgear has better range and more reliable vs. Linksys.
Also, I am impressed with Netgear's responses to some customers who are having problems and post them on Amazon.

That's fine then. Oh and congrats on 500+

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #28 of 36
I have had two Belkin routers (tehcnically 3 as one was replaced under warranty as it was DOA) and have not been happy with either one and their customer service sucks bad. Needless to say I am no longer a Belkin customer. Worst router ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back