wireless router recommendations needed
Sep 3, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My netgear wireless router recently kicked the bucket, one of the lower end ones. I am looking to replace it, reasonably priced, decent performance, and won't kick the bucket in a year. Thanks

buffalo arent too steep and use quality components, mine has been going for ages............

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 26
Linksys WRT-54GL with DD-WRT

Lots of Linksys fans here
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 26
I had bad luck with the Linksys WRT-54G. That said, I did get the regular v6 version, the "castrated" version of the older 54G. Linksys "updated" their original 54G for cost-savings (less memory, basically), and re-introduced it later as the 54GL.

Anyway, I ended up with a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 "AirStation Wireless-G" that I'm very happy with -- no problems since I bought it a few months ago.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 26
another WRT54GL with DD-WRT here... i also used to have tomato... DD-WRT is more complete, but tomate is a lot more user friendly...

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 26
WRT54G-User here as well!

But if you buy it now, be shure to buy a WRT54GL, since the "normal" version doesn't run Linux anymore, so you can't install alternative firmwares.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 26
My WRT54G died recently. Dad short circuited it, don't ask how. Anyway since the current version doesn't support third-party firmware, we got the.. wait for it.. WRT54GL to replace it. Basically the WRT54G with more memory. Until Wireless N stops being draft, don't bother with it. It's still expensive and there are no guarantees the current N routers will comply with the final specs.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 26
I've got the Linksys WRT-54G V4 (was hard to find), before the GL came out. I hadn't looked into doing firmware upgrades on it, but then made the mistake of opening this thread... damn this place
eek.gif

Any suggestions on sites to look at for FAQs, etc. on doing upgrades (for a relative newb to doing this kinda thing)? I used to program some (pretty fluent in C), but haven't really done anything in 10 years, so computers don't scare me, but just haven't been into it.

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the Linksys WRT-54G V4 (was hard to find), before the GL came out. I hadn't looked into doing firmware upgrades on it, but then made the mistake of opening this thread... damn this place
eek.gif

Any suggestions on sites to look at for FAQs, etc. on doing upgrades (for a relative newb to doing this kinda thing)? I used to program some (pretty fluent in C), but haven't really done anything in 10 years, so computers don't scare me, but just haven't been into it.

Read carefully and you will find what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back