Wireless Personal Monitor System
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

THE_SOURCE41

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but seeing as this is what IEM's are meant for I thought I would give it a try.

My high school is putting on a production of The Sound of Music at the end of Feb. and I have been looking into getting a Personal Monitor System for the Conductor. I have been running sound at our school for 3 years now, and from my experience it has been very hard to make the conductor happy as well as the rest of the orchestra with just a normal hotspot monitors.

I have looked at shures but just want to see if anyone else has some suggestions.
If it makes it any easier. We have a yamaha 32 channel live8 mixer. with 16 sen. e300 wireless mics.

Thanks

THE SOURCE 41

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 12
How much money are you willing to spend? You can get shures, but theres other things that are better, but IEM's are so personal due to the fit that you shouldn't really get them for someone else.

Edit
Yeah if I was you, I'd go for shure, they have prob the best bang for the buck, and stage equipment is made solid.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 12
I am not talking about getting the actual IEM's just the system for transmitting the sound to the stage from the sound board. upper limit is $1000

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 12
You want one transmitter and one receiver pack at least. For the usual brand, try searching eBay for 'in ear monitor', you'll get the most of the well known brand pop up in no time.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 12
I will only need one because it is only for the conductor we have other small hotspots for the musicians. I think we are going to go with a shure. The only thing I am not 100% sure about is will I be able to go from a aux out on the board into the transmitter in order to get more then one channel from the board going to the transmitter? does that make sense?

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 12
I did sound at my school before I got kicked out of that club for being too good(It's true! ask the other members)
If you already got wireless receiver, just buy the Westone UM1 and a whole big bag of those Shure yellow foams (available at the better PA/sound equipment stores).
That sure did the trick here. I mean, it's good for vocal, it's clean since after every preformance you get new foams and it's got good isolation.

Edit for more info on the aux part:

I dunno how your mixer is done, but this is how we did it:
Hook the wireless transmitter up to one of the aux 1 (as example, replace 1 with the aux-port of your liking), take the channels that need to be heard by the conductor, turn the aux 1 knob of those channels to the needed volume, and set the main aux 1 knob to 0dB (only if the wireless receiver has a volumeknob *low budget ones sometimes don't) and let the conductor set it to the needed volume, voila!

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I dunno how your mixer is done, but this is how we did it:
Hook the wireless transmitter up to one of the aux 1 (as example, replace 1 with the aux-port of your liking), take the channels that need to be heard by the conductor, turn the aux 1 knob of those channels to the needed volume, and set the main aux 1 knob to 0dB (only if the wireless receiver has a volumeknob *low budget ones sometimes don't) and let the conductor set it to the needed volume, voila!

Awesome that is exactly what I was thinking just wanted to make sure it would work. Thanks

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 12
I think I have it all figured out thanks.
The main reason for the system isn't so much that the conductor hears everything exactly as it is. It is more a system since the orchestra pit is in front of the stage and sunken in 12 feet it is almost imposable for her to hear the actors. This is acting as a way for her to stay on cue with the actors above her. Just like how we have stage right and left hanging monitors for the actors to hear the orchestra for the same reason.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 12
The conductor is not likely to be moving around much, so you could probably get away with a wired system. This does involve running more cables from the mixing desk to the conductor's location, but it is usually cheaper and better sound quality.
Shure makes wired versions of some of their wireless systems, basically there is no transmitter and you connect the line from the mixing desk directly into the beltpack.
Just try to get something that has a limiter and a headphone amp, that's all you really need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back