Wireless layla w/bassport = Gold
Jan 28, 2018 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Evilcalyptic

500+ Head-Fier
Check it out mannnn!

20180127_173035.jpg 20180127_173047.jpg

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 6
It sure does. I wouldn't have done this project without aptx.

I have noticed my note8 uses aptx, as well as my lenovo y700. My note8 has issues where sometimes it doesnt connect with aptx. There is no way to verify what bluetooth codec its using except that it sounds terrible without aptx.

My first connection to my note8 sounded amazing (maybe only 5% loss). Then the second sounded terrible (35% loss with silibance and no soundstage) this made me upset. Obvously it wasnt using aptx the second time. I connected to my lenovo which has aptx and aptx hd and it was flawless. I had to remove the profile for the cable in my note8 and reconnect it to get it to use aptx again.

A good way to test if aptx is being used is it has almost no latency in youtube videos from video to audio.

My astell and kern dap was also flawless, but the idea i set out to do was eliminate the need for a high powered dap and balanced cable to power my layla. It worked much better than i had thought.

I used an 8 braid copper plussound cable with 2 pin 0.78mm standard connector. I paired it with some custom made JH audio 4 pin to .78mm 2 pin adapters with built in bassports. The bassport was essential and i didnt want a basspod integrated into the cable as it already has the BT control on one side and having a basspod on the other was too much.

I chose copper as i dislike silver with the layla. Copper keeps the highs clean and in check and silver makes them too piercing.

Honestly this was around a $1600 project and it was well worth it. I have been using it all day and its 5% loss or less from using the stock cable. It blows any other iem BT headset away, as it should considering its a layla.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Can you please post some photo of them in your ears? Looking on that shapes of connectors, it must go quite above your ears.

It fits like a glove. It doesnt feel awkward or much different than with the stock cables. Though it looks crazy.

pic_20180129_215155.jpg

Also plussound will make connectors in mmcx as will the man i contracted to make the adapter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back