Wireless electricity?
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 18
For Christ's sake why is it that Tesla attracts all this crazy nonsense? We have wireless power, it's called antennas. Why we don't power cars and homes with it is that it is incredibly inefficient to do so, the electromagnetic waves spread out over distance even in the most directionable of antenna links. The failure (if you could even call it that since it was a non-starter) of Tesla's wireless transmission is simply the bare physics of what he wanted to do. Tesla was a pioneer during the early days of electromagnetic waves and so it should be no surprise that he and others had some interesting ideas, many of which never came to fruition.

The stuff that I have seen on TED about wireless power is a completely different application. Here they are talking about near field coupling to power low power portable devices. The advantage here is that you do not need very powerful or high-frequency fields and you do not need to power devices over any distance. This provides a way to say place your cellphone on a platter and have it charge. You could also put your remote control, wireless mouse, bluetooth head-set, etc. onto this platter or device and have them charge up. No need to have multiple chargers and stuff like that. I also have colleagues who are researching doing wireless charging of medical implants like pacemakers. Instead of having to surgically change out a battery, you could use a low power near-field antenna link to recharge an implant.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This would be rubbish for charging an electric car with. I wouldn't fully trust it with a TV as well.
For small devices like phones it's great.

What does that mean? You wouldn't trust it with a TV? If it produces the same voltage in the tv as your wall power, what is the difference? If the technology scales, of course it would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back