wire hd600 cables directly to the drivers?
Oct 28, 2003 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone tried or heard of connecting cables directly to the drivers on the HD600s. I mean getting rid of those little connectors and soldering the cable on?

If not, has anyone been able to take theirs apart succesfully (ie, could put them back together again) to the point where the driver leads are exposed?

Thanks

Oct 28, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 11
What is the point on this mod? People usually prefer it that way just for make the change of the cables easier, later on if desired, for those "upgrades" or even for the same if your get broke at some point

Oct 28, 2003 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 11
imagine you step on the cable and - oh my, no that's not the best thing you can do
wink.gif
but you can replace that short piece of cable between conector and drivers with something better.. maybe it should make a difference, but.. if you are DIYing your own cable, you'll have a feat spare to use.. why not, it couldn't be worse, just better if any..

Oct 28, 2003 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Ever since seeing these pics posted by member squirt here

I've wondered how after-market cables could have an appreciable effect on the sound of the Senns, but they do - I've heard it many times (Clou, Cardas, Equinox). Still, I can't help but wonder how those two little threads (not to mention those coil-like connectors) are hampering the sound that could utlimately come out of those drivers.

I can't really tell what the actual connection to the drivers is like. It might be difficult soldering an 18-27g wire to them. You might have to fashion a step-down connection from the headphone cable to some smaller OFC cable, or something. But I think it's worth trying, if you're brave.

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Still, I can't help but wonder how those two little threads (not to mention those coil-like connectors) are hampering the sound that could utlimately come out of those drivers.

I have to agree. Those coil connectors do look pretty shady. You could solder your cable directly to the last 1/2 inch or so of the driver's cable and secure your cable through the original inlet perhaps even using that coil connector deal as a mount. Now I'm more tempted than ever.

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
Now I'm more tempted than ever.

Do it and report back to us. Take one for the TEAM!
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Thank you jpelg for the link to those very interesting pictures!

jefemeister, i have to admit i'm also surprised with those coil connectors. But i don't think it's really a problem (and it must be tricky to solder and secure the cable). IMO, because anyway at the end the audio signal has to cross the very small driver's coil wires and of course there's no way to change them
biggrin.gif

So i think those coil connectors; assuming they gave the right pressure, are good enough to provide good contact. BTW the size of the two last pins is not a so big deal because of the very small wire just behind.

About soldering some guys say a good contact is better than a solder...
Yes i know they may not look like VERY good contact but if you touch the earcups plug and try to shake it gently and there's no noise IMO it's ok.
I had this problem with the stock cable, but since i've got the Cardas the contact seems very good.
Well just my €0.02

Nov 2, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 11
I have cut off a meter of the stock Sennheiser cable and reterminated it with a quarter inch jack, replacing the flimsy eight inch plug, and thereby audibly improving the sound. You don't have to buy a cardas cord of mess with the joints. Just do it the way stated and you will have the best of both worlds. The dynamics will improve and slightly more detail. Remember that you need to burn of the paint on the leads. The paint is there for the isolation and can be burned of with a lighter and cleaned afterwards. Then it is ready for soldering. I have just sold my Cardas replacement cable because it wasn't practical and certainly NOT much much better then my solution.

Nov 2, 2003 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, you did a good job removing this 1/8 jack, because IMO it's a shame that Sennheiser put a tiny plug like that on a high end phones that's obviously not made for use with portable.
But IMO, to my ears, etc...the Cardas is definitively better than the stock cable and not only 'cause of the 1/4 jack. The wires are better and the small plugs that fit into the earcups also.

Nov 2, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 11
It cannot compete with the higher quality Cardas cable really... But the stockcable has a characteristic sound that I would not trade for a replacement. And who can sit comfortably in a chair with a heavy cord dangling from the earcups and "forget" that he's wearing headphones! So I gladly purchase an inch thick powerchord because I can stuff it away and exept the price there is no trade off. But I am not going to sacrifice the comfort of the Sennheisers. Let's not forget what makes headphone listening so enjoyable in the first place...

Nov 2, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 11
I really wish these companies like Cardas, Zu, Clou, etc. would charge what the cables are worth... which in my opinion are more like $60 rather than $200. We already know the connectors are inexpensive but good ones, and the cables are not made of solid silver or gold... so what's with the $200, $300, etc? Even at $60 or $75 they could make a good profit, but nooo.... they have to charge as much or more than the headphone itself
rolleyes.gif
. It's like buying a laptop for $2,000 and finding that a replacement battery for it that lasts longer costs $2,200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back