WINTER WITH MY RS-1'S
Nov 4, 2007 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

raelamb

100+ Head-Fier
Hello from New York City
smily_headphones1.gif

I know not to get my RS-1's wet. The other day my girlfriend and I had a fight because it started to rain and I insisted on using our 1 umbrella to safeguard my babies. But how do the RS-1's respond to the cold of a Big Apple Winter? Am I not supposed to wear them in the Tundra?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 9
You'll get condensation on them if you wear them out in below freezing weather. The wood can also expand and contract with the extreme temperature change when you bring them back indoors.

Biggie.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 9
yeah, I use an SR-60 for outside use (if I don't care about isolation and I'm still very careful with audio levels) but I even wouldn't think of grabbing the MS2i (stronger material than the woodies) for portable/outdoor use... too precious and the quality difference really isn't worth it as they let all outside noise in (I would be surprised if you'd hear the difference between RS1 and SR-60 in an outdoor city setting
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Don't risk taking these outside. The cold weather will definitely cause damage to the wood. Get a pair of lower end Grados for outside use.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 9
The OP sure is a brave soul to use an RS-1 as a portable. I'm cautious with my MS-Pro's just carrying them around the living room.
biggrin.gif
One mishap and those fragile cans can come crashing to the ground, badly scuffing/denting the delicate wooden cups. I personally will be driven to tears.
biggrin.gif
I think the newer RS-1/2 would be even more vulnerable to damage since the outer edge of the wooden cups are more "square" than the older versions which have a more rounded edge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood can also expand and contract with the extreme temperature change when you bring them back indoors.

I think in extreme cases this may even cause the wood to crack (going from extreme cold to a warm toasty room).

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't risk taking these outside. The cold weather will definitely cause damage to the wood. Get a pair of lower end Grados for outside use.

Yup -- get SR60 or SR80 for outdoor use.
Myself, I would get SR80, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back