Winter will soon be here! Which headphones to use outside?
Nov 19, 2002 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
As y'all know, winter will soon be upon us here in the Chicagoland area. Which headphones do you recommend that I buy - if I intend to put a hood over the headphones. Here is my criteria:
  1. 1. The headphones must completely cover the entire ear, not just go on the ears.
    2. They must be either closed or semi-closed; open-air headphones will be adversely affected (sound-wise) by the hood covering up those vents.
    3. They must physically fit inside the hood.
    4. Absolute sound quality and price are irrelevant - sometimes the best sound is unobtainable in outside wintertime listening.

Any suggestions?

Randy a/k/a Eagle_Driver
confused.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 60
I think you posted something in my headphones for winter biking thread. Upon testing, the Eggos were a bit too closed for biking use, and I have no other uses for them (which is why one of your fellow moderators will be taking them off my hands shortly I think) but otherwise they would be near ideal for your use I would think. I hear the superduperEggos, the 11,000 yen ones, are considerably better sound wise.
I'm still looking but in the meanwhile I am freezing my ears off.

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 60
I will not really be biking with the headphones on - just for walking or waiting for the bus outside.

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 60
Am I the only one that treats his electronics like diamonds or something? I'm afraid to take electronics/headphones out during the winter because they'll get too cold.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 60
The eggos meet all of your criteria. I've got the D22SL and they are OK sound-wise. The better model (D66SL) may be perfect for you.

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Am I the only one that treats his electronics like diamonds or something? I'm afraid to take electronics/headphones out during the winter because they'll get too cold.

I won't take mine outside because they will get wet. This is Seattle. Basically, when you are outside there are two weather patterns right now: raining, and just finished raining, but about to rain again.
rolleyes.gif

Right now it's raining.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
I won't take mine outside because they will get wet. This is Seattle. Basically, when you are outside there are two weather patterns right now: raining, and just finished raining, but about to rain again.
rolleyes.gif

Right now it's raining.
biggrin.gif

LOL Portland's the same.

Right now it's just finished raining.

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 60
So far, an Eggo is winning out - but I am beginning to think that one of the Sennheiser HD 2#2 series headphones would be more in my intended price range. And also in the running is one of those (gasp!) "V-CRAP" crap-phones (I know, I said that sound quality or price is irrelevant). But I would buy a "VCRAP" only if I'm unable to find the others locally for audition or if the others don't work out well.

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 60
Uh-oh V-crap, reaching for alarm, crap this thing is huge! Grasps the red metal rod with both hands, counts to 3, uses all strength to pull down. Alarm sounds in a deafening ring, flames everywhere, ducks for cover and looks for magicthyse's flame proof bunker... no where to be seen :p

Biggie.

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 60
The part about me even remotely "wanting" a V-CRAP is hogwash. :xf_mad:) I would NEVER buy a V-CRAP unless I've exhausted all of my alternatives. :>)

BTW, if you don't know what :xf_mad:) means: If you type in :xf_mad:) on a text-enabled cellphone, that :xf_mad:) symbol means "pig".

Another note, kerelybonto, I mentioned that one of the Sennheiser HD 2#2 series of headphones would be my first choice if I must buy 'phones LOCALLY; I've found a CompUSA carrying the HD 202 for $29.99, and a Guitar Center carrying the HD 212 PRO for $49.99. Both stores are within a reasonable bus-riding distance from where I live.

Nov 20, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The part about me even remotely "wanting" a V-CRAP is hogwash. :xf_mad:) I would NEVER buy a V-CRAP unless I've exhausted all of my alternatives. :>)

BTW, if you don't know what :xf_mad:) means: If you type in :xf_mad:) on a text-enabled cellphone, that :xf_mad:) symbol means "pig".

Another note, kerelybonto, I mentioned that one of the Sennheiser HD 2#2 series of headphones would be my first choice if I must buy 'phones LOCALLY; I've found a CompUSA carrying the HD 202 for $29.99, and a Guitar Center carrying the HD 212 PRO for $49.99. Both stores are within a reasonable bus-riding distance from where I live.

So go try them out.
wink.gif
The sound should be better than the v-crap's and you'll know if you like the fit and feel when you put them on. Jan says the HFI-650 is warm and states it as being less comfortable for it. Maybe it would make a good wnter phone... I doubt you'll find it local though. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back