Winter will soon be here! Which headphones to use outside?
Nov 21, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
I did think the W100s were snug, but really, can you imagine anyone ducking snowballs in ridiculously expensive wooden earmuffs?

They should be in their element. The Asada cherry trees as used by Audio Technica are as I understand it from a particularly cold region in Hokkaido (which is where I'm from and where we complain that it's too bloody hot if it's above minus 5 degrees C in the winter) and the reason why Audio-Technica choose them is for the superior density of the trees because they're frankly freezing their bollocks off half the year.

A few snowballs won't hurt the grain.

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 60
Bangraman: My point was not that the W100s would perform badly in a snowstorm but that they're too expensive and perfect-looking for that kind of punishment. I agree that they'd probably work -- that's why I brought them up. After all, there might be the occasional bajillionaire lurking on head-fi.

Still, most of us would covet ATW100s too much to dampen their grain voluntarily.

May I take your comments to mean you'll be wearing your ATs on sledding expeditions this season?

Nov 22, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 60
V300s don't match your criteria (not circumaural and part of Vcrap) so he's probably not going to mention them. BTW, if you're willing to accept that the V6/7506 are not part of VCrap, then you'd probably like the Eggos because they are much better than most if not all Sony headphones under $200.

If the HD497s fit under your hood, then the HD212s would be a good choice. A lot of isolation and they are very good at keeping your ears warm. I'm thinking about getting a replacement cable for mine so I can use em for this winter. I think we're gonna have a harsh one this year.

Nov 22, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #36 of 60
Eggos would be the best choice in my opinion. They are like earmuffs with built in headphones. My d-77's keep me warm everyday waiting for the train, and are closed for a quiet musical experience.

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #37 of 60
Etys with earmuffs
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #39 of 60
I'm a new member, and this is my first post. I'm most impressed by the whole site.
Coming from Montreal Canada, I've used my MDR-605 s with joy in the winter, also MDR848 and 888's and I agree re headband covering bud phones affects the sound.
When it's really cold, (-30 C, about -20F and colder) the bass and Mid seem to come out, and the volume control seems to be lower for equivalent volume. The 605's have soft pads, no exposed cold plastic on the skin, and aren't so valuable as to want to leave at home and miss out on good music.
With a thin polypro hat, the MDR's sound fine from through the hat... course with the legendary rains in Seattle. I can't imagine them fitting over, under nor around a Seattle Sombrero. Do you like umbrellas, EagleDriver?
One day I'll be the happy owner of a pair of top-end Senns or Grados and then I'll struggle more over this one.
Something I've worried about is the effect of moisture condensing on the phones when I go indoors. If it's really cold, I usually stuff my cans in my crisply-frozen backpack before. But now I'm in Vancouver BC and am in the same boat as you.

Nov 23, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #40 of 60
eagle_driver,
the ultimate winter headphone is the v6 with beyer pads. your ears will be warm and happy. they're musical earmuffs.

second choice and lower profile is the sony d66 eggo. these sound best with md, and sound good w/o an amp. seriously, everything good about these phones snaps into place with md.

i own both of these cans and have been using them for years in the harsh seattle winters. when the rain pours down i just flip up my jacket's hood over the headphones.

Nov 23, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #41 of 60
Welcome to Head-fi, OtterMarc, from an ex-Canadian who performed in Quebec earlier this year. Nice description of your chill-but-muffed listening experience.

From what I understand, your man-purse will now require grillework modification by a self-emptying ultra-palpating ceramic synagogue, if my technical terminology is in order. Perhaps another Head-fi phallus (mal or feem) can put it more succinctly.

By the bye -- just saw the V6 for sale at Canal Dev in Chinatown, NYC. $79.99, no tax and, obviously (if you ever come to visit), no shipping.

Nov 25, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #42 of 60
Today, before I shopped for groceries, I picked up a Sennheiser HD 212Pro at Guitar Center. The price is $49.99.

The full post has been copied here.

Nov 25, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #43 of 60
get a beanie, but make sure that it has like an empty space in between its laeyrs, so that you could cut a hole, shove ksc-35s in (or just driverS) the pockets and then put it on.. wallah. ksc-35s in the thing. but make sure that the beanie isnt too thick because the 35s are open...

or

ex70s under beanie

or-

why not 280 pro?

i gues if you think they are too big..

Dec 9, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #44 of 60
Today I went shopping, and I was using a pair of the Sennheiser HD 212Pro's. But lo and behold, some recordings that I listen to sound like crap on the HD 212Pro's! Not because of the highs (they're recessed, all right), but because those '50s and '60s jazz recordings (and recent high-quality remastered CDs of those, at that!) came out of those 212's with too MUCH bass! Moreover, I had to struggle putting the hood over the 212's (because the headband sticks out where it joins the earpieces), and they were a bit uncomfortable on my ears.
frown.gif

Luckily, there is a Sam Ash store nearby where I was shopping (in suburban Lombard, IL). But alas, no AKG K141S or K240S in stock...
frown.gif
So I tried a pair of the *cough, choke, gag* Sony MDR-V700DJ's (heh, I thought I was going to join the Magicthyse Army when I did that!
tongue.gif
) I tried the V700's on my Headroom Total Airhead amp that is connected to my Sony D-EJ1000 PCDP. No dice. The rock CD that I tried on that setup sounded thin and lifeless - and the very same jazz CDs that came out of my 212's with too much bass actually sounded sizzly/shrieky out of the V700's, with no real bass extension!
mad.gif
The mid-bass is there, all right, but it sounded so dull, overtight and gutless out of the V700/TAH combo! My 212's actually go deeper in the bass than the V700's out of my portable rig; there's just too much of the bass. I finally decided against the V700 because of my gut feeling about them (I've told it recently): The very-low-impedance (24-ohm) V700's REALLY need a high-current, high-powered (and thus really expensive) headphone amp in order to get any practical deep-bass extension whatsoever from those 'phones. (But then, if you're going to use a big amp anyway for bass, you might as well go for the Beyer 770's, Grado SR-225's or Sennheiser 580's instead of the Sony V700's.
tongue.gif
)

None of the other headphones that Sam Ash had in stock meet my criteria (closed, folding, small enough to fit inside a hood, sufficiently large to cover the entire ear) - except for "Ye Olde Faithful" Sony MDR-7506. (Yes, I already own a 12-year-old pair of the Sony MDR-V6, but my pair had deteriorated with abuse - after so many years of loud thumping going through the V6's drivers from receivers' power switch operation, they don't sound as clear now as they did when new.) So, I bought a pair of the 7506's - for a discounted price of $95 plus tax. (Yep, the employee got me a discount because he knew that I was so knowledgeable about headphones.) They sound a little bright out of the box, so I'm running my new 7506's in for a couple of days.

Needless to say, the 7506's will replace my Senn 212's for everyday winter use. Even though I own better-sounding and more accurate headphones, the Sony V6's/7506's have that special something that keeps bringing me back to them...
wink.gif

a1leyez0nm3, I ruled out my Senn 280Pro's for winter use because they stick out the sides too much for my practical purposes.

Dec 9, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #45 of 60
Oh, I forgot to tell you this:

The Sony V6/7506 is a much better fit under a hooded coat than the Senn 2#2 or 4#7 series. And best of all, the V6/7506 is NOT part of the ********-up V-CRAP series - NOT EVEN CLOSE!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back