Winter jackets
Nov 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Banned at his own request
You'd think that five years in Quebec would teach me something.

Yeah, no. During the five winters, I never considered myself "properly dressed". I bought a couple of coats used, one being one of them huge Soviet green full-length style coats.

But while they can be warm, they require multiple layers inside to actually retain heat. This term "multiple" here can be as much as very reduced mobility, sometimes I would have difficulty to raise my hand and press the pedestrian crossing buttons. Went snow-shoeing once with he green Soviet coat, fell in deep snow, luckily the guide was around to pull me up.

So here comes another winter. My leather jacket is no longer functioning correctly: every morning I get out and get real chills. Yeah that one is mostly an autumn piece.

Now I sold my SE530 here. If Canada Post doesn't screw up (their tracking isn't working and the buyer hasn't received it) then I can actually have a bit of extra cash in my pockets.

After the depressing day finding out my Columbia is a fake (yeah, gift from China PRC so can't return), I've decided to get a real winter jacket.

Not wanting to contribute to the fashion market (No Columbia, no TNF, no One Polar, etc. and especially not the snowboarding market, that means no Rossignol and Burton...), I see myself going military.

Now I have to choose between the MA-1 and N-3B. Both are similarly priced and manufactured by Alpha Industries.

So what are the major advantages and disadvantages of either models? I got no problem with pants, though. I wear multiple liners and heavy jeans and my legs remain rather mobile.

Thank you very much.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
Quote:
No snowboarding jackets? Y?

Too much fashion factor. Too much brand.

If something works it, it works. Go to a big department store and just try on everything, that's how I found my jacket and it's both fashionable, simple and gets the job done-- Sears and The Bay (not sure if they operate in Quebec) carry everything from no-name companies to your popular snowboarding crap and always have some kind of sale on coats.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 27
Got myself one of these a couple weeks ago. The weather has got a lot colder here in London over that time, so I appreciate it, especially when leaving for work at 7am.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-down-jacket-mens-448055

Good advice Landis on trying on as many as possible, only then will you find one that feels comfortable and suits your size/body shape and your requirements such as how many pockets you prefer.
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot.png

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
Quote:
No snowboarding jackets? Y?

Too much fashion factor. Too much brand.

I don't think ski/snowboarding jackets are really considered fashionable or trendy. If you're worried about being too trendy, then it would be staying away from Canada Goose or Parajumpers, although those are actually pretty functional.

That said, look into some down-filled jackets. Warm, light and doesnt make you all sweaty when you're indoors at a mall or something.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 27
I've never had a flight jacket, but used to live in central Oregon.  I saw a few thermometers below zero; I think the lowest I saw was -12 F.

I picked up a big down parka from REI.  Can't remember the model, and this was years back, but it was fine.  I'd usually wear a t-shirt, flannel and wool sweater underneath.

I kinda miss the cold, though.  It hit a bit over 120 F in the desert this summer.  :D

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #14 of 27
Alright, thanks guys. Probably'll just go to The Bay and find something not flashy (why do all those coats look so... young these days?). If I can't find anything then I'll get the N-3B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back