Winter jackets
Jul 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #16 of 39
I like the Alpha Industries N3B Parka:

N3B.jpg

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 39
I have a tendency to prefer Lands End stuff, we have some old Lands end coats from 10-20 years ago (spring jackets) and I bought a new one this year (growing), they easily last 5+ years.

Budget would probably be for a nice high quality coat 75-100USD and that should last for 3-5 years easily, so maybe 150-200USD for both of you.

There are cheaper options however then you may have to buy more often.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 39
If you go layers, make sure they all open in the front with a zipper or something. That way if you get too hot, you can just unzip a couple layers until satisfied. Otherwise wearing layers is pointless if you can't peal back a few easily.

Also, most importantly, a good hat will keep your body warm. Your body will sacrifice the rest to keep the brain going. So if you have the warmest jacket on and no hat, your body will take all the heat from your hands/feet/torso/ext to keep the brain happy- thus making you colder than you should be.

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #20 of 39
I have an XXL Black Peacoat I bought a few years back. Never wore it once. If you want PM me your address and its yours. When I play golf I like to wear a wind shirt. Ashworth, Callaway, Foresters are some good brands. My favorites are made by foresters. One of those and you can wear a light jacket over top when everyone else is wearing a heavy coat.

http://www.iznadgolf.com/megopu.html?pageNum=2

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 39
Hello fellow Minnesotan, err, soon-to-be-Minnesotan. For jackets, just go to Macy's or a local sporting goods store such as Dick's Sporting Goods, Galyan's, Cabela's or as a last resort, Gander Mountain. There is a massive Cabela's in Rogers, MN which is pretty close on 94. I am sure there are all sorts of ma and pa operations who will sell the elite brands (Spyder, etc.), but I don't go to them, so I don't know where they are.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 39
I lived in Minnesota four years. Mostly.

Layering is better than one thick coat, so you might be able to survive with a good bunch of fall gear. And how much will you really be outside in super cold weather?

But you really need a good hat or two. Heat rises, you know? You lose a lot through your head so keep it covered well and your body temperature will stay closer to where you want it.

Also, just learn how to be content with being sortof cold in the winter.

I would guess that even thrift shops in that part of the world will have some nice coats for you.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #24 of 39
We will spend quite a bit of time outside - we have a dog that likes to go on lots of walks - she currently gets about 3- 45 minute walks per day, and I imagine that will continue even in the winter. We have already ordered her a winter jacket, which she won't like much - but she'll like it less not going out, or going out without the jacket.

I grew up in Toronto, which is a pretty cold place in the winter. I'm used to layering - I used to start with a t-shirt, then a long-sleeved shirt, then a sweater or a zip-up hoodie, and then a jacket on top of that. For bottoms I would go with long johns over top of my socks, with my t-shirt tucked into it, and then a reasonable pair of pants (chords being warmer than jeans), and on really bad days, a pair of wind breaker pants. I used to have very long hair, so I didn't often need a hat - just a scarf to keep the wind from blowing down my jacket. Now I imagine I will wear a toque, probably overtop of a hoodie.

My biggest question really is: Approximately how much is it going to cost me to get a decent quality winter jacket. If I had the moeny, I'd buy high end and have osmething that would last and last, but instead I want to get something that'll last 3-4 winters, but be sufficiently warm. Will a budget of approximately $200 / person be sufficient?

Cheers,
Brad

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 39
200 is more than what is probably necessary.

I spent 100 on my recent jacket and family members have had 75-100 dollar jackets that have lasted atleast 4-5 years already.

Men's Jackets & Coats at Lands' End – Shop warm styles.

Men's Jackets & Coats at Lands' End – Shop warm styles.

I have the extreme squall in the second link, the down coat, or squall parka in the first link should be pretty warm, I have had landsend down coats in the past and they were very warm though a bit poofy.

75-100/person should be manageable, more gets you into more name brand stuff like northface and spyder

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 39
If you're looking for high-quality mountaineering stuff, $200 might get you a mid-level cool weather jacket. You might be able to pick up something decent on sale if you look around enough.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #27 of 39
Avalanche makes some pretty good jackets.

n611739688_146537_1680.jpg

The other standard jackets that they issue for us sponsored kids are really good for temps between 28-45 degrees F. I think they are made by Charles River Apparel. They are the polyester/spandex shells. Brilliant to wear on the way to the ski mountain and on warmer days. Also great to wear before a race run, light and easy to take off.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #30 of 39
B-3 bomber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back