Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #1,352 of 4,133
Quote:
It's all relative, depends on the table.  A cheaper upgrade would be getting a new cartridge or stylus.

Granted, if you're serious in upgrading your table, we can talk, haha.

well considering this is my current table...http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/1/3/4/9/7/webimg/566306378_o.jpg
tongue.gif

After my dad gave it to me i threw  $40 audio technica cartridge on it, but i think id like to upgrade

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,353 of 4,133
The dac landscape is changing quite a bit these days, mostly in the area of usb implementation. Coax/spdif input technology has been quite stable for a long time now, and have been buggered with in the "audiophile" realm far longer than usb. They also don't transmit any power issues, unlike usb interfaces which can push through a lot of noise.

The usb stuff is more consumer friendly in general, but the spdif stuff is more stable. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,354 of 4,133
Quote:
well considering this is my current table...http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/1/3/4/9/7/webimg/566306378_o.jpg
tongue.gif

After my dad gave it to me i threw  $40 audio technica cartridge on it, but i think id like to upgrade

That ain't too bad, you can find yourself a better P-Mount cartridge.  But, PM me later if you're really looking to buy.

Quote:
The dac landscape is changing quite a bit these days, mostly in the area of usb implementation. Coax/spdif input technology has been quite stable for a long time now, and have been buggered with in the "audiophile" realm far longer than usb. They also don't transmit any power issues, unlike usb interfaces which can push through a lot of noise.

The usb stuff is more consumer friendly in general, but the spdif stuff is more stable. 

That is true, USB implementation is the big thing right now with DACs. I still look for soundcards with coax.spdif output just for that reason.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,355 of 4,133
Assuming the snow ever melts, we should plan the next meet and make it a bbq!

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,361 of 4,133
Well...  a slow spring at least means a slow melt which should temper the flood predictions. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,364 of 4,133
When do we want to aim for? Is May long weekend too soon? (like Sunday May 19th or something)

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,365 of 4,133
I might possibly be able to make it.  Or, if everyone wanted to drive 2.5 hours west to Riding Mountain National Park, I could host.  
size]

By the way, nice job landing a front page review again, Nathan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back