Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jun 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,741 of 4,133
So I've gone today to the store to listen these Shure's and they sound too high, without the bottom. Completely not my taste.

I took the ATH-M30X, M35, M40X, M50 and M50X and listened to all. I decided for M50X.
M30X, M35 sound very light, not much power in it. M40X sound quite powerful, slightly lighter than M50X (on Mac OSX I had to give them one more level UP on system volume), but the lows are not really interesting (it's very similar to M50X but without that much power, not cleaner in any way, just quieter). The old M50's are loud but they lack of lows and the treble is too distorted.
M50X have power, they're loud, lows a little bit too charged, mids are quite flat and clean, highs are clean (but as I said before a little bit calmer than Grados).
I will EQ these in home studio, and should be nice.

For outdoor use they are also perfect.

I also listened to AKG K701 - nice reference sound!

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,743 of 4,133
I was in Axe Music - Edmonton store (I'm in Edmonton right now).

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,745 of 4,133
We'll have to play it by ear; maybe relocate to my parent's place if it rains. I don't have enough space indoors at my house to host (my house is practically more walls than space, chalk it up to 60's compartmentalized design... I want to tear out the walls between the kitchen and dining room to open things up, but that's a project for way in the future).

Hopefully it rains itself out in the next couple days.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #1,746 of 4,133
I will be back in WPG on saturday evening, so if there's something going on on sunday, I would like to meet You :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,747 of 4,133
Do you need me to bring a folding table? I have a 6 foot long 1.5 foot deep one.

Also, I am still digging around looking for the headset but so far have not been able to find them.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,748 of 4,133
I have two folding tables; that's probably enough. No worries if you can't find the headset; it's a very minor thing.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,749 of 4,133
Ok I am doing final packing for meet (I am going over directly from an overnight at friends house on Sunday).
I am bringing:

Grado HF-2
Senn HD800 
Denon D5000 
Rega Dac
Schiit Bifrost
Schiit Lyr
Yulong DA8
Yulong A28
Violectric V200.

I have only one source I can bring (my Squeezebox w/ 40 albums in it),which will be used with the Yulong stack.
Nathan do you have a source I could hook up to the Schiit stack?

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,751 of 4,133
My only source will be an iBasso DX90. What do you guys usually use for sources at these meets? What about power supply? Also, with Viper's DA8, is there any point in bringing mine?

More the merrier!
Mine will be anchored to the a28 and v200 full time so another da8 might not be bad if ppl want to try it with other gear..
Good point about power supply. Should we bring any power bars? Will we blow Nathan's fuse box with all these rigs? :p

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,752 of 4,133
Look at all the gear everyone is bringing.  Sadly, I have nothing to offer, as those who already met know.  I think I have a pair of Etymotics ER-4S?  I can't remember, I bought them to use for a trip but, never used them and forgot what trip I was suppose to use them for.  I do have the ODAC, somewhere...AKG 240M 600ohm headphones, fostex T50RP and probably misc IEMS lying around.  I guess I shall just bring some snacks.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,753 of 4,133
My source will be my laptop and whatever I can plug into it. I'll have my Echo2 usb dac, and probably my Nuforce HDP (in the big triple stack). I should have a Sansa Fuze and Clip+ somewhere as well.

I don't have any "fancy" power, just several mid-grade APC surge protectors*, then a few cheap home depot brand stuff. If people want to bring power bars, an extra one or two wouldn't hurt.
*basically these: http://www.amazon.com/APC-11-Outlet-3020J-Surge-Protector/dp/B0012YFXSW
got them at costco for $20 which is a great price for them

Velomane, if you could bring your DA8 then I'd like to hook that up to my monoblocks at some point. Can the drivers be installed without having the DA8 plugged in?

For anyone who wants to try my Echo2 dac, you can get the drivers here: http://echoaudio.com/products/echo-2#downloads

Right now I'm hoping the weather rains itself out tonight and tomorrow so it'll clear by Sunday. Even if it rains, we could still do it in my garage. Either that or relocate to my parent's house... but for now plan for the garage unless it's a monsoon.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,754 of 4,133
  Look at all the gear everyone is bringing.  Sadly, I have nothing to offer, as those who already met know.  I think I have a pair of Etymotics ER-4S?  I can't remember, I bought them to use for a trip but, never used them and forgot what trip I was suppose to use them for.  I do have the ODAC, somewhere...AKG 240M 600ohm headphones, fostex T50RP and probably misc IEMS lying around.  I guess I shall just bring some snacks.

Don't you still have the HP2 somewhere? and that electret?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back