Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,442 of 4,143
Jul 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,443 of 4,143
Hey guys, two nights ago I traded away my Ortofon e-Q7 IEM's for an ifi ICAN amp.

EDD_5813.jpg

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,444 of 4,143
Ooh, interesting. I've seem some hype around that product line, though haven't really read into it. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,449 of 4,143
AKG K142HD for a good price... (well, on par with American pricing anyways)
http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=174&productId=20874&sku=K142HD

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,450 of 4,143
Hey there everybody, it seems like you guys know quite a lot about modding headphones and what not so I'd like to ask for some help.

Recently my earphones and headphones have stopped working due to cable issues, why I'm assuming it's the cable is because it'll produce a working sound if I move the cable in such a way that I have to hold to keep it working.
I was thinking of learning how to make my own audio cable and re-cabling them. Problem is, I don't have the slightest clue as to which cable I'm supposed to buy and what I'm supposed to do with it before I can solder it on. Even then it's going to be another thing I'm going to learn, but I'll do things one step at a time.

What I'd like to know is, does anybody know where I could get a nice cable and plug locally? 

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,451 of 4,143
You used to be able to get cheap plugs and such from radio shack/the source, but they don't carry components anymore. The only places that I know of now are Active Electronics or Tip Top Electronics (both in the St. James area).

Any type of cable should work as long as it is flexible and has the required number of conductors. Unfortunately, even with such minimal requirements they aren't the easiest to find here. Microphone cable is the only one I've seen that will have three conductors (well, two conductors and a shield) of a reasonably thin gauge. Everything else is speaker wire and/or too thick for headphone use unless you're going for the big bulky look (which is fine too, but no good for portable). Oftentimes it's just easier/cheaper to buy a premade cable (and reterminate the ends of necessary).

What headphone do you have, and where is the cable broken?

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,452 of 4,143
Can you just use the existing cable? just cut, strip, and  re-solder it to the phones? Or do you want to upgrade them a the same time?
There are some youtube vids on how to do the cables, don't have the links anymore but a quick search should get you some ideas.
Search for "repairing headphone cables" and a lot come up.
Here's one:
http://chrismetcalf.net/blog/2007/08/07/how-to-repairing-faulty-headphones/

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,453 of 4,143
Yeah, working with the original wire is usually easiest. Potential hiccup is if the wires are enamelled, which can be a real pain to work with. I've only ever had luck burning off the enamel with a really hot solder blob.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,454 of 4,143
Aug 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,455 of 4,143
It might be a little trickier then that. Phrozen bought my old XB500 awhile back. If that's the headphone he's talking about the cables are flat and the way the cable feeds into the housing would probably be a pain in the butt to pull out and then refeed into the housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back