Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
May 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,133 of 4,143
Interesting... I was looking at one of these a while ago: http://tiptopelectronics.com/home.asp?ProdDetail=LC1200

But right now I've just got an APC surge bar from costco.

May 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #2,134 of 4,143
Mine is one of these:
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=310
Either the H or J 15BLK. Have thought about getting the 'S' soon.

May 15, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,135 of 4,143
I use a Furman AC215A for my main Rag/Ygg stack.  System is isolated from other components.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=02&id=AC-215A

May 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,137 of 4,143
While Canada tends to have really stable power that doesn't suffer from brownouts or over/under voltages, homes are still subject to the usual dirty power from appliances leaking currents back into ground or even the main lines. A fridge or dryer or oven/stove can sometimes be heard. Dimmer switches are a really nasty culprit, as are fluorescent lights. LED lights are even worse.

I did an experiment one time with my headphones on and no music playing through my busted monoblocks, then sliding the living room dimmer up and down. I could actually hear the noise change with the slider. Granted, the noise was accentuated because the monoblock power section was borked and not doing its job, but still it served to illustrate the problem.

As for power conditioners... well, first I'd aim to eliminate the noises in the house first. Always better to minimize the problems rather than trying to mask it. Beyond that, I think just basic filters should be sufficient for most people. The big regenerators are overkill for us since we have stable power. If I were to spend bigger money on something, it'd be with a big honkin' transformer for proper isolation and natural attenuation of EMI. 

May 16, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #2,138 of 4,143
Yeah well, I've been having problems with hiss in my system the last few months. It's been slowly getting worse. The upgraded cables helped a lot to minimize it. I'm hoping the conditioner further fixes the problem.

May 17, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,139 of 4,143
Had to switch off the rig today. Crazy weather is making power go wonky..

May 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #2,140 of 4,143
Yeah well, I've been having problems with hiss in my system the last few months. It's been slowly getting worse. The upgraded cables helped a lot to minimize it. I'm hoping the conditioner further fixes the problem.

What kind of hiss? like a white noise, or a humming?

May 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,141 of 4,143
White noise. If I move my gear to other rooms it's not there. When I bring it back to my bedroom it's there. I'm guessing something in my laptop bookshelf is causing it but can't seem to peg down what it is. Once I started using better cables though the white noise was nearly gone though. Rather weird if u ask me.

May 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #2,142 of 4,143
What if you use a different plug in your bedroom? Are there any other electrical devices nearby? What kind of lightbulbs (or dimmers?) are in the room?

May 18, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #2,143 of 4,143
  What if you use a different plug in your bedroom? Are there any other electrical devices nearby? What kind of lightbulbs (or dimmers?) are in the room?

Tried the different plug idea as well as different power strips. It didn't help. The bulbs are standard 5 25 watt bulbs on a chandalier that have been here longer then my gear. My dimmer switch has been in my room ever since my family moved into the house over 30 years ago and I doubt its the culprit. I think is a piece of gear or maybe even a collection of gear on my laptop bookshelf that's causing the hiss. The problem is I can't seem to figure out exactly which one it is. I've unplugged and removed various stuff to no avail. I've even noticed my laptop will display a weird hiss sometimes. The craziest thing about all this is the hiss first started a few days after I reformatted my laptop. If its the laptop why would it suddenly cause all the hiss after a fresh reformat and why wasn't it a problem before the reformat? I've even tried reinstalling some sound drivers and still I'm getting hiss. The new cables have reduced the hiss by, I don't know, maybe 75% of what it was. I now have to stop and listen closely to hear it. 

EDIT
I forgot to mention, I ordered a pair of MAP2 power cables for my WA6 and my future Carbon a few weeks ago. They should be in my hands this Tuesday. When i had the Carbon amp in for review it was the only piece of gear that had no hiss. Pretty weird problem, isn't it? Here's hoping the MAP2 power cables completely fix the remaining hiss I'm hearing.

May 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,144 of 4,143
It could just be that the Carbon has a better filter in its power supply.

I still wouldn't dismiss the dimmer since they can wear out over time. Do you still get noise if the lights are simply turned off?

What if you use a source other than your laptop connected to your amps? (say one of your daps)

May 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,145 of 4,143
DAPs worked fine with no hiss. I listen to my music mostly in the evening after work. My dimmer is off and the only light I use is a lamp that's on the other side of the room. I've tried removing the lamp from the room and I still get the same problem.

Anyone one else in here depressed we have snow outside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back