Wine tastes different according to what music you're listening to...
May 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stewtheking

Headphoneus Supremus
BBC NEWS | UK | Music 'can enhance wine taste'

From the institute of pointless research...

<blockquote> The Heriot Watt University study found people rated the change in taste by up to 60% depending on the melody heard.

The researchers said cabernet sauvignon was most affected by "powerful and heavy" music, and chardonnay by "zingy and refreshing" sounds. </blockquote>

Awesome. Now you know exactly what you should be drinking for various types of music. Of course, gin for Mike Oldfield has been known about for years...

May 14, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Do you think my mom will fall for it?

"But I'm SUPPOSED to be drinking this Pinot while listening to Yanni. It makes it better."

"I'm sure it does, but... Okay, like... Oh, whatever."

Interesting, though, to read hearing can have such an affect on taste. They always say your senses of taste and smell are the two most closely related to one another, but when was the last time you sniffed a glass of Merlot and it tasted 60% more powerful?! That's a friggin' feat! This is revolutionary! Now I wonder what chicken tastes like to Infected Mushroom or Frosted Mini Wheats to ELO. Oh, the possibilities!

May 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Chardonnay isn't affected by any sound, music or not, of any kind. It still tastes like oaky buttery filth. The only way to get it to change that it to hear the sound of a cassis bottle being opened, and then to pour a generous amount into the wine. Then you get blackcurrenty oaky buttery filth.

People should of course, be drinking ale, red wine, scotch or gin (especially, as you say, for the oldfield) anyway.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 11
...ohhh gawd, wherw didsh I putssh me Bash Shabbath albumshhh....?

May 14, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was the other way around...music sounds different depending on what you are drinking. Maybe that was HOW MUCH you were drinking.

What was the question?

Well, the scientists think it works by "priming" the brain, so that it "expects" a certain type of sensation. Maybe it could work the other way, with flavours priming the brain to enjoy certain music(s).

Maybe...

May 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 11
You should not have your headphones in your mouth when your drinking. You could choke.
Nor should you put wine in your ears when listening to music. It's just not a good idea.

May 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the scientists think it works by "priming" the brain, so that it "expects" a certain type of sensation. Maybe it could work the other way, with flavours priming the brain to enjoy certain music(s).

Maybe...

There's a fairly recent Stanford study about how telling a wine drinker the price of the wine in beforehand significantly altered the perceived taste. The theory is that expectation or anticipated experience prompts increased activity in the pleasure centres of the brain. Makese sense but I doubt it would work in the long run.

May 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

The researchers said cabernet sauvignon was most affected by "powerful and heavy" music

I love Cabernet Sauvignon, I should experiment tasting it with different styles of music just for kicks!

May 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 11
I wonder if beer tastes better with the sound of a sports event broadcast playing in the background...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back