Wine Glass recomendations.
Jan 3, 2007 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hey_Its_Cole

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some nice wine glasses for now the cabernet style, I will buy more but that is where I want to start. These are the ones I want but I don't think I can justify the $75 per glass price tag Riedel I am also looking for a decanter. My budget is not to limited, but I just can't seem to justify $75 per glass, I may end up talking myself into them though.

Any recomendations/advice will be great.

Jan 3, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 23
I think the Ravenscroft collection is fairly nice. You can usually get four of them for about the same price as one Riedel.

Another way you might want to go about this would be a visit to your local wine merchant. Most medium to large sized cities have one these days. Pop in and ask them what they'd recommend for your budget. It'd be a good opportunity to pick up a bottle of wine, at the least.

Jan 3, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 23
When you go for a decanter (I'm sure you know this anyway, but for general advice) make sure it's the massively wide bottom type. When you pour it in, glug it around strongly as well. That way, more of the wine will hit the air and actually breathe. You can't breathe wine through the inch square at the neck of the bottle.

Jan 3, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you go for a decanter (I'm sure you know this anyway, but for general advice) make sure it's the massively wide bottom type. When you pour it in, glug it around strongly as well. That way, more of the wine will hit the air and actually breathe. You can't breathe wine through the inch square at the neck of the bottle.

I know about that to some degree, I am still a wine newbie, Is this one wide enough, Here?

Jan 3, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 23
My father is partial to breathable glasses. The breathable glasses, while seemingly ridiculous in theory, actually do work and really help to bring out the bouquet. My dad popped a '99 Charles Krug Reserve cab tonight and using the breathable glasses really did help. Out of the bottle, it was a little too smooth but after sitting for about half an hour in the glass, the wine really started to open up and overall taste just blossomed. What was noticeable was the spicier back end and the hints of black cherry and dark chocolate. It got real big if you know what I mean, just so much more depth than straight out of the bottle.

Riedel glasses are beautiful, my father has a few of the Bordeaux glasses from their Sommeliers line, and they are absolutely stunning but for everyday use? I would want to bring them out. My mom has literally cracked dozens of them, and it gets real expensive real fast. You might want to look into the titanium crystal glasses. They are extremely durable and more resistant to the nasty staining reds can inflict on lead content glasses. They are also really affordable, I believe K&L sells a five or six pack for around $50. The breathable glasses are also pretty reasonable as well.

About decanters, I wouldn't use one unless you plan on downing the whole bottle. While the decanter works really well at opening up the wine and allowing it to breathe, your wine will last only one or two nights max. After that, the wine will begin to flatten out, lose it's bouquet, and start turning into cooking wine. If left in a bottle, and used with an airtight cork and a vacuum pump, wine'll typically last around 4 days before starting to go downhill.

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 23
Regarding the glass, not sure if it's just me, but I'd get something a bit "fatter" than the one pictured above - something more pear-shaped with a narrow opening (top). Preferrably something very clear (crystal), and a long stem.

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey_Its_Cole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A helpful write up, I like this decanter as well.

I did end up going with this decanter, It is the first affordable one I have been able to find in the duck style. Now I just need to decide on glasses, and I need to go to bed as I had a night shift last night.

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 23
I'm not a wine snob, but I've found the wine glasses at Ikea to be as good as anything I've used (while traveling for business, I get to go to some VERY high end restaurants), and they are very affordable ($2 each?), so you can buy enough to have a wine tasting party without having to break out the plastic cups.

BPRJam

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 23
I would take a look at Spiegelau's offerings, and see if they have anything in the shape you're looking for. I can't afford to drink wine nice enough to justify great glasses (I too use the Ikea balloon glasses, and they're fine for my purposes), but I do indulge in a really nice port from time to time, and after shopping around quite a bit (including looking at a number of Riedel models) I went with Spiegelau port glasses and couldn't be happier. They have good weight, a nice smooth lip, and excellent clarity. And, they're reasonably priced to boot.

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 23
Don't get the Riedel Sommeliers if you want them for everyday use. Vinum is a much better choice. Riedel have some newer lines as well -- which may be even more practical. Sommeliers and Vinum were the two original lines AFAIK.

Schott Zwiesel glassware is also very good, and practical. KLWines sells these along with Riedel.

We acquired our everyday glassware from Napa valley wineries a few years back. Most wineries allow you to take your tasting glass with you. We got together with 10 friends and rented a limo bus for the Reserve Cab Release weekend. We got so much free glassware we just split them up amongst ourselves. We took the bordeaux style glassware from Silver Oak and chardonnay glasses from Cakebread. It's logoware, but we have more than enough, and we don't care when it breaks. And it works *surprisingly* well for tasting the wine it's designed for. Wineries pick a good compromise glass for red and another for white.

Michael

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 23
I like the inexpensive stemless Reidel glasses. They also double nicely for straight hard liquors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back