Windows.
Nov 12, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #31 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Haha!

No, it's the cover of Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard/A True Star", one of the seemingly most overlooked and underrated rock albums of all time. Click here to read a review of the album, where the reviewer tries to justify it being the best album ever made: http://www.rocksbackpages.com/featur...kyns_todd.html

Wow - I'll have to tell some of my other die-hard fan friends about this one.
biggrin.gif
Don't worry, I'm not trying to insult you or anything - I could definitely see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, this album was released ten years or so before the Michael Jackson fiasco became a serious public issue.

Now that you've asked me, go on ahead and give it a listen too
wink.gif

Wilco (will comply); I'll put this on my "To Listen List".

I think we've giving the Windows lovers a good breather. The faithful followers of Mr. Torvalds and Mr. Jobs may recommence with the Windows bashing.

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #32 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
For example, I still can't figure out how to flush the DNS lookup process' cache in Windows.

ipconfig /flushdns is what you're after, I believe.

As for Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux... It's most definitely a user thing. However, the spread of broadband is also to blame. The other day I was called over to work on someone's Win98SE box, as they were upgrading to DSL. They had dial-up before that. Wow. 98SE, nothing updated, IE4, you name it - and yet, the only malware was an Alexa and Yahoo toolbar, which were probably both placed there by AOL, Compuserve, or something of the sort (they'd used a bunch of those types of ISPs). So I gave them the works - IE6, 98SE [Unofficial] SP2, 98 Revolutions, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Firefox... and I updated everything with Windows Update. I discovered something, though. 98SE doesn't have Unicode support. That plays hell with most modern programs, especially Firefox. It'd claim to have crashed, and constantly pop up boxes informing me of such, but the browser was still running in the background. Luckily, there was an update for it. Now I just have to go back to add some more RAM (64MB isn't awful for 98, but an extra 128 stick will do it nicely). Have to be careful with that, though. The old mobos want low density RAM.

As to Macs, anyhoo, I'm all for 'em. I plan on buying my parents an iBook soon's as I get some money saved up. Since I leave next year, they won't have me here to fix Windows boxen. Personally, I'm still fighting between a Powerbook or an IBM/Lenovo Z-Series (to be loaded with Linux).

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #33 of 83
I'll just say, as an employee of a Linux company, it does my heart good to see such a thread on a non-geek (well...non-_computer_-geek) forum.
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #35 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I'll just say, as an employee of a Linux company, it does my heart good to see such a thread on a non-geek (well...non-_computer_-geek) forum.
biggrin.gif

if you don't mind me asking, where are some computer related forums? have any links?

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
if you don't mind me asking, where are some computer related forums? have any links?

Be more specific -- what kind of computer forums? Programming, hardware, software-specific, gaming, tech help, etc.?

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #37 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
It's pretty sad when 50% of your computer time consists of removing garbage off your computer. Anyone who has the chance to switch to MAC, i suggest you do it and never look back!

You know, they do have this thing called automation. I don't mess with spyware/adware/virus scans, it's done for me.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #38 of 83
I'm attached to a PC running windows at work, and here home for more hours that you could imagine, and honestly I do not spend 50% or my time removing a thing, not even a 5%, just once a week 10 minutes, and period, and most of the times the spyware, adware and virus removal programs do not find a thing here....but the last upgrades, I did here in my PC, cost me around $250.00, the equivalent in a Mac would cost me more than 1000.00....so do you math....

The one at my office is running win 2000 and it is crappy celeron, and runs like a charm...

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Be more specific -- what kind of computer forums? Programming, hardware, software-specific, gaming, tech help, etc.?

well to be honest a little bit of everything or a forum that has a little bit of this and that/sub-categories...hmm like web development/design, programming, software, hardware, tech-help/how-to's, events, etc, basically anything that may increase the average user's knowledge of computers...you could give me anything really, i wouldn't mind...whatever you feel is a good forum with good information

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #40 of 83
aman: I work for Mandriva; I'm the company representative on the Club forums, I proofread publicity stuff, and I write the newsletter. Nice job.

I agree that the problem with spyware on Windows is basically a user issue, though. It wasn't for a while, when IE was vulnerable to attacks that involved no user interaction, but nowadays it is. You have to click on _something_ dodgy or it doesn't happen.

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #41 of 83
Quote:

aman: I work for Mandriva; I'm the company representative on the Club forums, I proofread publicity stuff, and I write the newsletter. Nice job.

VERY nice job!
smily_headphones1.gif

I worked on the Gentoo Linux project for about a year, and that was quite an experience. Back at MIT, when I had a lot of buddies helping me out too. I figured it was okay to mention that since Gentoo and Mandriva are not exactly competetors
smily_headphones1.gif

That job rocks dude - keep it up!
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #42 of 83
Of course we're not competitors...Gentoo is for ricers
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #44 of 83
I haven't read the entire thread but i would like to say OMG Yes! to this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs
Its not a windows issue, its a user issue.

and also you don't get as much gaming on a MAC.

Nov 13, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #45 of 83
I took useless HCI classes in college which would say otherwise. My personal point of view is that it is not so simple to point the finger at one or the other, but since the user interacts with the OS (i.e. the UI in GUI), it is more or less a relationship of symbiosis. If you are constantly tending to your OS...I'd consider the user the 'host', and the OS the parasite however.

On the otherhand I have to field help-desk situations sometimes because my IT dept has been so short staffed even though I'm a developer, so I know my fair share of user error. On the otherhand I really think MS-exchange and Outlook is a piece of crap (Thunderbird for example is so much simpler and faster to use and is Sunbird out yet?).

To say that its 100% a user issue is to say the user interface does not matter at all or the OS does not matter at all, which simply isn't true. Otherwise I could throw you a unix prompt, or mainframe terminal and ask you to do several complex tasks, and just call you an idiot when you don't get it done in time. Or even better hand you a stack of punch cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back