Windows.
Nov 11, 2005 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
Well for the past 2 months i've been using a MAC and it is pure bliss, i gave me brother the PC. All was good, i didn't need to run spybot/anti virus every damn 5 minutes and install the latest patch.

Now i'm on the PC again and this box probably contains every Virus/Spyware/Sexually transmitted disease possible.

Here is a link for people who still use windows:
http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/Topic4303-29-1.aspx

It's pretty sad when 50% of your computer time consists of removing garbage off your computer. Anyone who has the chance to switch to MAC, i suggest you do it and never look back!

Nov 11, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 83
Sshh... Don't let the secret out, cause all that crap will surely follow the masses!
icon10.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 83
a scan of norton, spybot, and adaware every few months keeps me clean on win. it also helps a ton to use firefox, and 2-second virus scan downloaded files

I'm one of those people that can't seem to multi-task on Mac OS very quickly, so I feel the hassle on win is worth it.

Nov 11, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 83
You know how I keep my computer clean? I don't open every email I ever got, I don't install every thing that ever was, I don't download like crazy from the net, I make sure I know what I am downloading, and I don't go to seedy websites that will infect your computer.

Its not a windows issue, its a user issue.

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs
You know how I keep my computer clean? I don't open every email I ever got, I don't install every thing that ever was, I don't download like crazy from the net, I make sure I know what I am downloading, and I don't go to seedy websites that will infect your computer.

That's wonderful, that really is.

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 83
MuZI, Win users like me will often forget that the average computer user probably isn't going to be willing and obsessed with removing spyware. That said, they probably would be better off with a more secure machine like a Mac.

I'm remembering the pain of wondering "what's wrong now?" when doing checkups on my sibling's old univ. laptop or friend's computer. My sister bought an iBook a year ago, and haven't heard any complaints yet
icon10.gif
. I like that.

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 83
I honestly have not been affected by one piece of spyware in the past year. I just scanned my comp with adaware after almost 3 months of constant usage and found nothing potentially risky at ALL. Use Firefox and get a decent firewall and none of these problems with ever present themselves.

BTW, I'm not using any anti-virus programs, third party firewalls or any of the like. Only my router's firewall

Obviously not everyone has these problems

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
I honestly have not been affected by one piece of spyware in the past year. I just scanned my comp with adaware after almost 3 months of constant usage and found nothing potentially risky at ALL. Use Firefox and get a decent firewall and none of these problems with ever present themselves.

BTW, I'm not using any anti-virus programs, third party firewalls or any of the like. Only my router's firewall

Obviously not everyone has these problems

Adaware....wonderful.

Try AVG Anti Virus and Spybot and see all the stuff adaware misses.

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs

Completely agree with this...it's 100% user issue, not the OS. I follow the same routine and pretty much have never had problems with viruses or spyware. It helps to just know what you're doing of course, like how to properly use a firewall to block "install me!" popups and whatnot. The typical end user is unfortunately too guillible and naive to recognize spyware even if it hit them over the eyes, and will click ok to every single "install me!" popup that ever comes up.

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 83
Guys, calm down.

Why is every Windows Guru acting like i just stabbed them in the side.

This is a mere reference for those who might need it, it should not replace common sence.

Nov 11, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang
Spyware? Virus? Why I have not dealt with such things since I was on Windows...
wink.gif

Switch to Linux already
smily_headphones1.gif

I WANT ADOBE PHOTOSHOP.

:'(

So, no. GIMP does not do what Photoshop does.
I will nt switch. Not yet.
Not until I get a Mac.

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 83
I made the switch about 4 months ago when I got my iBook G4. I don't particularly care what platform I'm running on so long as I can run the software I need on it and it functions with the hardware I have. I liked my iBook a lot and figured it'd just make sense for me to make it my primary computer rather than having my desktop as my main one. My desktop hardly gets used anymore except for cellphone customizing which I can't do on my Mac since the software isn't available for it except for BitPim for CDMA phones.

I never had an issue with spyware/adware and viruses on Windows and rarely ran antivirus software. It's all about usage habits. Windows feels much snappier in use and there is just so much more software and hardware to use with it. Mac OS tends to be easier to install software and hardware on but when something goes wrong it's more baffling and harder to track down. And strangely, software ported from *nix runs far less seamlessly than on Windows. The GIMP for Windows port felt nearly like a Windows program but the Mac port does not, and I had to figure out how to install X11 too. Linux runs much faster and is far snappier on my iBook than Mac OS X, but it doesn't support basic stuff like Airport yet and it's power management is lacking, not to mention the software selection is worse.

I'm becoming less attached to a platform over time and right now either Windows or Mac OS would do what I need. Apple just makes better laptops than anybody else (for consumers at least) and I always knew if I got a laptop it would be a Mac, so that's why I'm using Mac OS right now. You will rarely see an iBook or PowerBook user toting around a power supply while PC laptop users usually are. And features for the money, no PC laptop came within a couple hundred dollars of my iBook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back