Windows.
Nov 11, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
I made the switch about 4 months ago when I got my iBook G4. I don't particularly care what platform I'm running on so long as I can run the software I need on it and it functions with the hardware I have. I liked my iBook a lot and figured it'd just make sense for me to make it my primary computer rather than having my desktop as my main one. My desktop hardly gets used anymore except for cellphone customizing which I can't do on my Mac since the software isn't available for it except for BitPim for CDMA phones.

I never had an issue with spyware/adware and viruses on Windows and rarely ran antivirus software. It's all about usage habits. Windows feels much snappier in use and there is just so much more software and hardware to use with it. Mac OS tends to be easier to install software and hardware on but when something goes wrong it's more baffling and harder to track down. And strangely, software ported from *nix runs far less seamlessly than on Windows. The GIMP for Windows port felt nearly like a Windows program but the Mac port does not, and I had to figure out how to install X11 too. Linux runs much faster and is far snappier on my iBook than Mac OS X, but it doesn't support basic stuff like Airport yet and it's power management is lacking, not to mention the software selection is worse.

I'm becoming less attached to a platform over time and right now either Windows or Mac OS would do what I need. Apple just makes better laptops than anybody else (for consumers at least) and I always knew if I got a laptop it would be a Mac, so that's why I'm using Mac OS right now. You will rarely see an iBook or PowerBook user toting around a power supply while PC laptop users usually are. And features for the money, no PC laptop came within a couple hundred dollars of my iBook.

DONOVAN, long time no see buddy. Glad you posted, you on ICQ?
blink.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz
I WANT ADOBE PHOTOSHOP.

:'(

So, no. GIMP does not do what Photoshop does.
I will nt switch. Not yet.
Not until I get a Mac.

How about running Photoshop 4 on an old Irix box?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychogentoo
How about running Photoshop 4 on an old Irix box?
smily_headphones1.gif

*has no idea what Irix is*

Another reason why I won't switch soon: I don't know how to use Linux, since I've had no hands-on expireince.

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
Windows feels much snappier in use and there is just so much more software and hardware to use with it.

I believe Apple's decision to switch processor providers will curb most of these issues, correct?

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #20 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I believe Apple's decision to switch processor providers will curb most of these issues, correct?

I doubt it. The PowerPC G4 is quite powerful and Linux with X11 is quite snappy on it, so it's definitely a Mac OS issue. It's just the way it is designed I think.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 83
i have an ibook and a pc
even though the pc is literally 10 times faster i do like using the mac better
if i didn't play games i woulnt own a windows box
mac osX is so much better than windows IMO
icon10.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 83
grr. sometimes i regret just having built my computer cause i easily could've bought an ibook. and do this. happy with windows, but definately seeing myself as a mac user in the future. damn garageband.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
grr. sometimes i regret just having built my computer cause i easily could've bought an ibook. and do this. happy with windows, but definately seeing myself as a mac user in the future. damn garageband.

Arg. If I get an iBook, you're doing that for me.

K?
K.
thnx.

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz
Arg. If I get an iBook, you're doing that for me.

K?
K.
thnx.

haha, it'll cost you... pair of HF-1's mwahah...

oh i wish i bought a pair.. :remorsed:

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
haha, it'll cost you... pair of HF-1's mwahah...

oh i wish i bought a pair.. :remorsed:

Todd said that if we wanted one, we could get one.

He PROMISED.

:'(

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #28 of 83
Windows and Mac both have their strong suits. The Mac OS interface is too oversimplified for me- I like my context menus and simple access to start/stopping services. I like being able to navigate equally well with the keyboard or the mouse, losing little functionality regardless of which I use. I like having a huge open-source/freeware community at my fingertips. I like knowing that pretty much any software or device I purchase will be compatable.

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
Windows and Mac both have their strong suits. The Mac OS interface is too oversimplified for me- I like my context menus and simple access to start/stopping services. I like being able to navigate equally well with the keyboard or the mouse, losing little functionality regardless of which I use. I like having a huge open-source/freeware community at my fingertips. I like knowing that pretty much any software or device I purchase will be compatable.

Have you spent any real time with OS X? None of those objections are accurate. All OS X apps provide context menus. Starting, stopping, and controlling daemons/services is much easier than in Windows. (For example, I still can't figure out how to flush the DNS lookup process' cache in Windows. The same thing took me two minutes to figure out in OS X.) Everything in OS X has keyboard shortcuts, and what's more, the OS lets you globally customize keyboard shortcuts across all applications. As for the open source/freeware community, there is more open source software available for OS X. Almost every major Linux/Unix application can run on OS X, including most of the Gnome and KDE apps. The same is not true of Windows.

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Aman,

Is that a picture of Michael Jackson in your avatar?

Haha!

No, it's the cover of Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard/A True Star", one of the seemingly most overlooked and underrated rock albums of all time. Click here to read a review of the album, where the reviewer tries to justify it being the best album ever made: http://www.rocksbackpages.com/featur...kyns_todd.html

Wow - I'll have to tell some of my other die-hard fan friends about this one.
biggrin.gif
Don't worry, I'm not trying to insult you or anything - I could definitely see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, this album was released ten years or so before the Michael Jackson fiasco became a serious public issue.

Now that you've asked me, go on ahead and give it a listen too
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back