Windows XP Service Pack 2
Sep 8, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyena
Yeah. I've heard all kinds of things, like it screws with eDonkey and the like, but I installed SP2 before I had anything else on my computer. (Since people were required to reinstall progams after installing SP2) But personally I haven't had any problems with it.

Windows XP SP2 limits you to 10 simultaneous requests for half-open connections. While this was put in place as a preventive measure to deal with problems created either by zombies perpetrating Denial of Service attacks or worms/virii looking for more computers to infect, legitimate sharing programs like BitTorrent, eDonkey, eMule, Kazaa, and many others also pound the internet looking for more sources to download from. Since all requests over number 10 are queued and then worked off at a slower rate, a slowdown inevitably occurs -- if anybody wants a fix for this, please PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
Is anyone running MS Office 2003 with SP2?

Since installing SP2 Outlook 2003 opens on start up which causes a prolonged boot time. Anyone know of any tips to stop it? Note that this is being instigated via the registry.

run msconfig and turn it off.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #18 of 31
Why would anyone want to use a peer-to-peer program?
confused.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Why would anyone want to use a peer-to-peer program?
confused.gif

2 B 7|-|3 |<3\/\/|_357 \/\/@R3z |)00|) 1|\| 7|-|3 |\|316|-|84|-|00|)!!!11one

That or they're just sharing Linux distributions!

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #20 of 31
i installed sp2 a couple of days ago.

applied the registry patch so it wont screw with edonkey or BT.

I have had no issues at all with it so far.
Games run fine, no issues with my radeon 9200.

when i try to use nero, i do get a warning that there are some conflicts, but i ignored it and nero worked fine, i believe that the problem is only with nero express, and i hate that interface anyway!!

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by quke
2 B 7|-|3 |<3\/\/|_357 \/\/@R3z |)00|) 1|\| 7|-|3 |\|316|-|84|-|00|)!!!11one

That or they're just sharing Linux distributions!

confused.gif
How do you read that =/

Sep 8, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
Is anyone running MS Office 2003 with SP2?

Since installing SP2 Outlook 2003 opens on start up which causes a prolonged boot time. Anyone know of any tips to stop it? Note that this is being instigated via the registry.

No problems here with Office 2003. It worked fine. First boot took a while then it was almost back to normal although a bit slower.

Sep 8, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajime
It's been terrible on both computers I installed it on. It often has problems with memory dumps and has bugs with my Radeon graphics card. I can no longer play games due to SP2. The firewall is also fairly crappy, but I use Kerio so that's not much of a problem.

I've noticed one major quirk so far as well in regards to video display. I was playing a game of pool on yahoo and apparently a driver for my videocard crapped out rendering turning my video display into garbage, had to reboot and it worked fine afterwards.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 31
I've only just downloaded SP2 this afternoon, after download it says that it's now ready to install, and to close all running applications, does this include my Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security, as I'm still online whilst it's installing, or should I have logged offline when it was ready to install, I think I should have tried logging off, to see if it would let me, but I didn't think about it until afterwards.

I left my Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security Running to be on the safe side, did I do this correctly.?

I suffer from a lack of concentration whilst I'm doing things, due to my medical conditions.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Don't worry about it, you'll be fine
wink.gif

Be sure to check for version updates though, some of the Norton/Symantec programs have slight problems with SP2.

Thanks bLue_oNioN,

My Norton Internet Security 2004 which includes Norton AntiVirus seem to be working fine for the moment, I haven't encountered any other problems, well not that I'm yet aware of.!!!
wink.gif

Best wishes,

Paul.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 31
I've had Windows SP2 (fresh install using a slipstreamed Home Edition w/ SP1a CD) for about a month now and I haven't encountered any problems, except that the "Security Center" control panel won't recognize my installation of Symantec Antivirus Corperate 9.0 properly, which is very minor since I don't use the Security Center anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back