Windows XP Product Key
Sep 24, 2007 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Dell laptop and I reinstalled Windows. However my copy of Windows won't except the license key that came with the Laptop. Why? On the sticker that has the product key it says it's for XP professional and my copy of XP is Professional also.

What gives?

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 21
Because M$ is crazy. I assume you aren't using the DVD/CD that came with the laptop? Because MS is cracking down on piracy all units of even a specific release won't accept the same serial.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsione1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Dell laptop and I reinstalled Windows. However my copy of Windows won't except the license key that came with the Laptop. Why? On the sticker that has the product key it says it's for XP professional and my copy of XP is Professional also.

What gives?

I had something similar happen to me once on a reinstall with a properly licensed laptop, but a call to MS support cleared it up rather quickly.

Good luck with that.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, you need to use the Dell "recovery cd"

You can use that , or any generic OEM cd.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 21
Once things like this stop, I'll consider actually paying Microsoft for one of their products again.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 21
Could it be that you're trying to use a key for a non service pack XP for a cd with service pack 2? I tried that before and my key was also rejected. I had to find a non service packed cd, install it, then patch up.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 21
Dell's XP doesn't use keys, if it's asking for a key then either you're not using dell branded media (the sticker on the bottom won't work with disks you bought yourself) or something is wrong with the bios.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 21
What I would do is call Dell up and make up some story and they would probably send you the disks for free (tell them you corrupted the registry and you need the disks to get to the recovery console), the worst thing that will happen is that they will ask for $10 to send out the disks.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 21
I don't think you can install without using the Dell Recovery CDs unless you have your own, non dell, copy of XP - that's Dell for you.

That way they make you install all their crappy bundles software.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 21
Just call microsoft support and they can fix you up, no problem. I get this every time I reinstall XP on my home systems, since the hardware info constantly is changing.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 21
To clear up some misconceptions in this thread.

You can use a SP2 XP disc with SP1 keys, it works fine.

You do not have to use the Dell Recovery CD, you can use any matching XP install disc.

If the system wont accept your key, or wont let you activate, call Microsoft, the number is provided in the activation window. They will provide you with a "key" to unlock activation. Microsoft stores activation keys for 6 months, so if you try to reactivate before the 6 months is up you'll be prompted to call again.

I reinstall XP on customers computers several times a week, I use the same OEM XP Pro or Home disc for each one. Dell, HP, Compaq, Emachines, doesn't matter who made the computer, the install always works fine using the key sticker located somewhere on the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back