Windows Vista Snap Shots
Feb 24, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster
Holy crap.

This is going to be terrible. First we had minimal features, lots of bugs and no error recovery. Then we had more features, but the same old bugs. XP has too much eye candy and bloat, but the many errors it does have at least TRY to recover. Now, we are bound to have bugs, error recovery (which an OS should NOT NEED! Just fix the damned errors!) and so much eye candy, that it will KILL the memory, graphics card and processor. Not to mention the hard drive. An OS should put an extremely small load on the computer. The Apps should be what require the power.

Idiots. I really do not like Microsoft.

Dont get me started. I can go on for days.

Windows Vista is going to be the best advertising that linux has ever had!
smily_headphones1.gif
You guys should really check out Ubuntu, it's all I use now ... except an occasional reboot to XP for some Civ4, but that should soon change.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
I still can't get over how much Microsoft is trying to get it to look like Mac OSX. The search magnifying class is the Mac OSX one flipped 180 degrees.... Sort of has an aqua-ish look it to too. Just my opinions...being a Mac user and all.
icon10.gif

agree. i dont even use mac and it look like windows want to utilize the mac eye pleasing interface. probably would feel like using an ipod if i use it. that sounded kind of scary.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Holy crap.

This is going to be terrible. First we had minimal features, lots of bugs and no error recovery. Then we had more features, but the same old bugs. XP has too much eye candy and bloat, but the many errors it does have at least TRY to recover. Now, we are bound to have bugs, error recovery (which an OS should NOT NEED! Just fix the damned errors!) and so much eye candy, that it will KILL the memory, graphics card and processor. Not to mention the hard drive. An OS should put an extremely small load on the computer. The Apps should be what require the power.

You know all of this from looking at screen shots? I agree XP could be a lot leaner, but with modern processors and graphics cards, it does not run slow. Why don't you give it a try before bashing it.

Regarding Ubunu, I used Ubuntu and I liked it a lot, but Linux in the consumer world has a long way to go. There is still too much command line stuff to do a lot of things. One wrong character and you can't boot into X.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Holy crap.

you do know that tiger is just as bad as xp?

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_

Really?
Huh... Thats rather sad. From the little tiny bit I've used them, macs seem to have a cleaner faster os. Windows open faster, programs are faster, etc. Unix is your friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
You know all of this from looking at screen shots? I agree XP could be a lot leaner, but with modern processors and graphics cards, it does not run slow. Why don't you give it a try before bashing it.

Regarding Ubunu, I used Ubuntu and I liked it a lot, but Linux in the consumer world has a long way to go. There is still too much command line stuff to do a lot of things. One wrong character and you can't boot into X.

Most of that is going off of 1. The direction Microsoft is constantly moving in. More stuff (a.k.a. bloat), candy and prettyness. No real improvements to the underworkings of the os. I still get all the errors and failures from 98 and 2000 in XP. XP just hides them and attempts to recover from them.
2. From what a previous poster and what several other people who supposedly have been using it has said.
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...7&po=12,00.asp

Do those programs look familair? Yep. Vista is probably going to turn out to be XP with more bloat, and hopefully a better use of 64 bit technology.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_

Although I do agree that Tiger is littered with bugs of which some I can't stand (can't the OS just memorize my freaking window settings and placements!!!), I wouldn't say it's as bad as XP. Cause IMO, XP is bad, really bad.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Really?
Huh... Thats rather sad. From the little tiny bit I've used them, macs seem to have a cleaner faster os. Windows open faster, programs are faster, etc. Unix is your friend.

I'm not sure any OSX user would call the UI snappy, despite being a fantastic OS. It certainly isn't terribly quick on a Mini (even with a memory upgrade).

Out of curiosity, are you really using Unix at home, or are you mistaking Linux with Unix? Not being a smartass, honestly curious. I'd love to have an older SGI machine to play with.

Quote:

Most of that is going off of 1. The direction Microsoft is constantly moving in. More stuff (a.k.a. bloat), candy and prettyness. No real improvements to the underworkings of the os. I still get all the errors and failures from 98 and 2000 in XP. XP just hides them and attempts to recover from them.
2. From what a previous poster and what several other people who supposedly have been using it has said.
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...7&po=12,00.asp

Do those programs look familair? Yep. Vista is probably going to turn out to be XP with more bloat, and hopefully a better use of 64 bit technology.

At the risk of being too harsh, you sound like you have very little idea what you're talking about. I'd expect this kind of trolling on Slashdot, not here. To say there were no real improvements to the underworkings of the OS in the transition from 98->2k->XP->XP SP2 is either incredibly naive or blatant MS hate. Vista is taking it a step further with LUA, WinFS, true desktop compositing, etc. Seriously, do some research.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
I still can't get over how much Microsoft is trying to get it to look like Mac OSX. The search magnifying class is the Mac OSX one flipped 180 degrees.... Sort of has an aqua-ish look it to too. Just my opinions...being a Mac user and all.
icon10.gif

Amen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
I'm not sure any OSX user would call the UI snappy, despite being a fantastic OS. It certainly isn't terribly quick on a Mini (even with a memory upgrade).

That's because you're running a G4 processor... they weren't the fastest of the lot with Panther (10.3), and they're even a little slower with Tiger (10.4). The G5's I've played with, and the Core Duo I have are pretty snappy with Tiger, especially native universal apps on the Core Duo. It's the bus access speeds, not the total amount of memory. After you pass a certain threshold it becomes moot.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
That's because you're running a G4 processor... they weren't the fastest of the lot with Panther (10.3), and they're even a little slower with Tiger (10.4). The G5's I've played with, and the Core Duo I have are pretty snappy with Tiger, especially native universal apps on the Core Duo. It's the bus access speeds, not the total amount of memory. After you pass a certain threshold it becomes moot.

Yeah, I know it's the G4, it's just a little frustrating that a machine I bought late last year is already outdated. I'm seriously considering one of the new MacBooks as my next laptop, I've heard a lot of good things about them. If I can dual boot it into Vista it will definitely be my next purchase.

As for Vista, it's ok so far. I really like the new desktop compositing. It definitely has some similarities to OSX, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. IE7 & WMP11 are both nice, and the new explorer is great. I'm not a big fan of the LUA security stuff so far. I can see the point of it in regards to most regular users being their own worst enemy when it comes to viruses/malware, but I want full control of my machine (and I'm willing to accept the consequences if I screw it up). I definitely want to play with it more before making a final judgement.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Out of curiosity, are you really using Unix at home, or are you mistaking Linux with Unix? Not being a smartass, honestly curious. I'd love to have an older SGI machine to play with.

I was referring to the underworkings of OSX being Unix. I have a deep love of BSD and the Mach kernel.

Quote:

At the risk of being too harsh, you sound like you have very little idea what you're talking about. I'd expect this kind of trolling on Slashdot, not here. To say there were no real improvements to the underworkings of the OS in the transition from 98->2k->XP->XP SP2 is either incredibly naive or blatant MS hate. Vista is taking it a step further with LUA, WinFS, true desktop compositing, etc. Seriously, do some research.

Yeah, it is indeed Slashdot style trolling. I mostly just enjoy bashing large companies, particularly MS. At least I'm using punctuation.
Lua? Meaning protions of Vista will be coded in Lua? That's something I was not aware of.
I have no doubts that many many areas will be improved upon (I am particularly interested in the 64 bit portion of the show), but this loveley new window management is adding on a gigantic amount of possible problems and bugs. I dont like the way things keep heading. Look at the Aero features. Lots and lots of bling. The best move they have made is XP being based on the NT kernel.
Yeah, it was a bit niave, there are obviously changes, the most signaficant that I would see is the change to the NT kernel. They are improving, but there are getting worse at the same time. Less memory, cpu usage and hard drive usage are (at least, for me. I dont really like fluff) the most important things.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #42 of 45
They have been on the NT Kernel since Win2k.

By LUA I meant limited user access, which will be the default in Vista. Many of XP's security problems were due to social engineering and not a flaw in the operating system, despite what many people would have you believe (Apple is going to run into this real fast if anyone decides to make use of their latest security gaff). LUA should drastically (if not completely) cut down on "BRITTNEY SPEARS NUDE" email viruses spread by dumb/ignorant users.

The new Aero GUI, while adding "bling", is actually much more efficient than the XP's Luna. XP's GDI was a god awful piece of legacy crap, you're drastically understating how big an improvement Aero will be. All rendering is composited on the GPU now, freeing up system resources. It removes the annoying blank window effect you currently get in XP when something is busy, among other annoyances. You don't need an obscene graphics card for it, I've had it running on a 6600GT and it's very quick (and that's far from a top of the line GPU). Moving into the future it will get even better as video cards continue to improve.

If you're actually interested in Vista, this is an interesting read. It gives you an idea on what's different from XP without getting into cross platform bashing. Honestly, MS's biggest competitor in this release is themselves in getting people to upgrade from XP, they probably care very little about OSX's tiny marketshare.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

They have been on the NT Kernel since Win2k.

By LUA I meant limited user access, which will be the default in Vista. Many of XP's security problems were due to social engineering and not a flaw in the operating system, despite what many people would have you believe (Apple is going to run into this real fast if anyone decides to make use of their latest security gaff). LUA should drastically (if not completely) cut down on "BRITTNEY SPEARS NUDE" email viruses spread by dumb/ignorant users.

The new Aero GUI, while adding "bling", is actually much more efficient than the XP's Luna. XP's GDI was a god awful piece of legacy crap, you're drastically understating how big an improvement Aero will be. All rendering is composited on the GPU now, freeing up system resources. It removes the annoying blank window effect you currently get in XP when something is busy, among other annoyances. You don't need an obscene graphics card for it, I've had it running on a 6600GT and it's very quick (and that's far from a top of the line GPU). Moving into the future it will get even better as video cards continue to improve.

If you're actually interested in Vista, this is an interesting read. It gives you an idea on what's different from XP without getting into cross platform bashing. Honestly, MS's biggest competitor in this release is themselves in getting people to upgrade from XP, they probably care very little about OSX's tiny marketshare.

Hmm.. That is a rather interesting read.
Well, It seems that I am in fact mostly wrong. My hopes are up a litle bit now.

Curious, how did you manage to become one of the beta users?

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #45 of 45
It's available to MSDN subscribers, I have a subscription through my firm. You can probably find it on any of the torrent sites out there also, they aren't being terribly restrictive when it comes to copying it. Keep in mind though that it is definitely still a beta with a good 6 months of development time left (in my opinion). I wouldn't install it as my primary OS yet, there are still some rough edges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back