Windows Vista should be better for audio
Oct 2, 2005 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

patricklang

100+ Head-Fier
If you haven't read this already, you should give it a look:
http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/...ory/10954.aspx

The changes sound promising. The new WASAPI should help deliver more accurate audio by allowing people to stream directly to hardware. This is essentially the same thing we are doing today using ASIO or kernel streaming when listening from Media Center, FooBar, etc.

Oct 2, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 18
so how is it any better if we're already doing so with ASIO??
confused.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
confused.gif

Its not better than what we're doing with ASIO right now if you have support. This is pushing direct audio into a more supported realm (ever used kernel streaming and have another app try to access the sound card? the stream stops, and you have to restart), and will hopefully bring better sound to a wider variety of cards. It's not going to beat your Emu 1212m w/ ASIO, but it means you're more likely to have the ability to get bit perfect audio from your laptop with standard drivers, etc.

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 18
But on the other hand DRM is going to be attached to everything. I'll take what we have now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
confused.gif

It will be better for the RIAA because they can limit use of music, by locking out functions through hardware with the new DRM laden Windows Vista.

I think I will be waiting until people iron out the DRM nonsense before jumping onto the Windows Vista bandwagon.

Till then, there is no reason, audiowise for me to upgrade to Windows Vista. I already use ASIO and Foobar.

-Ed

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 18
I agree. If Windows Vista places any DRM-related limitations on my music listening, I won't be using it.

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 18
Have any of you actually played with a Vista beta? No hidden DRM as far as I can see. Unfortunately, no player that uses the new direct APIs either.

I suppose if you want to play an HD-DVD there will be copy protection in the future. Although I do understand that this is a requirement if you want to play this type of content at all.

Vista has lot's of potential. Some of us are also using their PCs to watch DVDs. The support of the upcoming HDMI cards will give you multichannel bit perfect playback of decoded material with perfect sync between the audio and video.

kmixer is gone so all applications can have the benefit of bit perfect playback.

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 18
I've used Vista yes. Nothing groundbreaking there. Lots of the top features have been put on the backshelf so they can release it within the next century
smily_headphones1.gif
However, with Intel implementing DRM in their chipsets and now DRM for HiDef content, I have zero desire to upgrade. I'm waiting for them to implement DRM my fridge and help me lose a few pounds!

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Well I guess no hidef content for you...

There is no new additional DRM on other media as we know it today, or is there?

The removal of kmixer, the new 32bit float audio pipeline and the new direct APIs should improve sound quality for many setups.

What are the features that got cut?

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 18
Well the 3 biggest advances that Shorthorn was supposed to have are already been axed for release or cut back significantly. All this was dont to make a ship date that keeps moving quicker than Homer Simpson's waistline.

WinFS
Monad Shell
Cut-down version of Avalon

There's many more but those are the 3 big things that MS was pushing Longhorn/Vista to help give a reason for people to upgrade. Right now, all I see is a new interface, IE, and DRM. None of which is worth it.

So if you are going to buy Vista, which of the SEVEN versions are you going to pick up?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 18
Like a previous poster said as far as audio goes you have bit perfect output already from many devices and can see HiDef both without DRM. Why would you want to change that? The market won't change overnight to suit the "suits" so they can have DRM the way they want it otherwise they will be losing lots 'o money. I myself refuse to buy a new widescreen LCD monitor just so I can watch HiDef (which I can see now) so I can use Vista. It's a no win situation for users.

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 18
Has this anything to do with Vista or are you commenting on the movie/audio industry at large?

I suppose the CE companies will be more impacted trying to sell you new players for BD or HD-DVD hidef movies or SuperAudio/DVD-audio discs.

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 18
Well considering Vista will be forcing display based DRM down users pipes, I would say it's MS forcing the issue. MS is in the position where they can dictate what is what - they are the Walmart of IT. If MS said no forget it, it wouldn't happen. The RIAA and other organizations only have true power when others give it to them. MS sees financial benefit in a partnership and we have a DRM happy OS.

The markets are slowing down. DVDs aren't selling like they used to, same with CDs. They need to find another way to squeeze the consumer. Profit is great, growth is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back