Windows Update Trouble
Jul 13, 2008 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys I have a series of problems to do with microsoft xp's windows update.

1. It hogs memory when I try to install the updates, about 95% AND the 'initializing' process does not move at ALL. It is extremefuly fustrating.

2. It screws up my internet connection and

3. It redownloads the updates every time I cancel and restart my comp

4. New 'vulnerabilities' emerge every 3 days and it's extremely annoying because of 1. and 2.

5. When I shut down and install updates, it takes ages and when I restart, new 'vulnerabilities come.

6. It isn't this annoying on my other comps

7. I'm using nod32 internet suite because kaspersky does the same things as windows update, 1 and 2

Anybody have any suggestions?
I am extremely concerned with number 1, an OS is not supposed to be this disorientated.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 14
Jul 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the link!

I'm extremely fustrated right now, it took me 83 seconds just to view the advert of this thread from head fi from windows hotmail on a 24mbps connection.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 14
The program will re-register your Windows Update service and dlls and that should fix the issue, let me know what happens.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 14
Jul 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disable it. It frequently downloads microsoft-branded spyware and is pretty much a piece of crap.

Source? That's a blatantly biased and misleading claim.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disable it. It frequently downloads microsoft-branded spyware and is pretty much a piece of crap.

Download updates manually from The Software Patch - Download site for patches, upgrades, service packs and hardware drivers.

This is interesting. Microsoft branded spyware? What type of Microsoft branded spyware are you suggesting? So are you saying that the vulnerabilities that are fixed by Microsoft security updates is made up and puts their own Microsoft branded spyware on your computer? So please explain to me why security professionals and security appliances that test the integrity of your network cross reference the known Microsoft vulnerabilities against your network to see if the exploit is patched? The automatic updates that the OP has enabled downloads a bunch of security related patches. So you are saying to download it manually. What should he be selecting when he uses the Windows Update web page to download the updates.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 14
IT IS still pissing me the hell off. Despite putting it on NOTIFY ME WITH UPDATES BUT DO NOT DOWNLOAD it chooses to download updates by itself and has cost me 55mb of bandwidth. To add insult to injury, this is the 4th time i've downloaded the same thing.

I used to like Micro$oft and defend it from all those people that bag it out. But this really pulls the line. AUTOMATIC UPDATES IS THE ****TEST THING IN THE WORLD!

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting. Microsoft branded spyware? What type of Microsoft branded spyware are you suggesting? So are you saying that the vulnerabilities that are fixed by Microsoft security updates is made up and puts their own Microsoft branded spyware on your computer? So please explain to me why security professionals and security appliances that test the integrity of your network cross reference the known Microsoft vulnerabilities against your network to see if the exploit is patched? The automatic updates that the OP has enabled downloads a bunch of security related patches. So you are saying to download it manually. What should he be selecting when he uses the Windows Update web page to download the updates.

Well I'm not really talking about windows update itself, but the Genuine Advantage notifier thing that you have to download to use WU is pretty much spyware.

The hotfixes and security updates are mostly good (except when it forces you to download IE7) but the way it nags you is quite annoying. It also seems to have some bugs. I also had a problem where it tried to tell me about updates that I had already downloaded, so I just disabled it.

The OP should try auto patcher or the software update. I also recommend http://wud.jcarle.com, but with that you have to install all updates manually. If you just download SP3, it includes all updates up to April I think, so there isn't much to download.

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Spyware is software that reports information without your knowledge or consent. Genuine Advantage is neither.

Also, "cost you 55MB of bandwidth"? Since when had that been a significant number? I probably more than that off Head-Fi alone in a week.

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spyware is software that reports information without your knowledge or consent.

"Windows Genuine Advantage — the controversial program Microsoft auto-installed as a "critical security update" on many PCs starting on Apr. 25 — not only causes problems for many users but has now been proven to send personally identifiable information back to Redmond every 24 hours."

Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back