Windows Trick: Anyone know how to rearrange taskbar icons?
Dec 9, 2002 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

neil

500+ Head-Fier
I have Windows 2000, and often, while I'm working, I have about 20 to 25 tasks/windows open. The taskbar at the bottom doesn't allow me to shuffle them around. Does anyone know any way to do this, or a program that can manipulate the order of these windows? They're currently sorted chronologically of when they were opened.

Dec 9, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 13
I think I looked into this at one time (on Win 98) and I read somewhere that it's not possible to do. Could be wrong though. Try downloading TweakUI from the Microsoft download page, that might have it for 2000.

Dec 9, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Yeah ,I don't think it is possible either.Looking at the order it seems they arrange themselves in according to priority of usage.
For instance my trackball loads second to the task scheduler , then all the non essential programs ( ATI , active mixer , flash card, etc)

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Actually, I just found something that'll work for XP too: taskbar commander. Seems to cost $5 though it's free to try.

ButtonBoogie apparently allows you to move your icons via drag-and-drop, though, whereas taskbar commander wants you to open up a separate program to rearrange the icons.

Dec 10, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 13
How about using a virtual window manager?

I use Vern.

This lets me have multiple "screens" that I can switch between. I then leave different apps in each screen - no more iconizing, no more tons of buttons on the taskbar etc. Each screen appears to be independent of the others.

So, I use one for Outlook, one for word/excel, one for X11, one for cmd shells etc...

--Jatinder

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 13
jatinder - how about a couple screen shots? Or would that kinda be useless? I'm just wondering what the user interface is like for switching between screens.. keystrokes? Mouse clicks? I'm just trying to understand the difference between the buttons on a taskbar and clicking over to Windows and what Vern provides.

Dec 11, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi Neil,

Vern just has (in my case) a small 2x3 grid in the lower right hand corner of the screen. It's actually off the screen so not visible.

When I move the mouse into that area (ie, up against the lower right hand corner of the screen), the grid pops up and I can move the mouse into one of the cells and click.

Suddenly, I'm in that desktop.

The cells show the icons of the programs which are running in that desktop - and the icons can be manipulated as per normal.

Download it and try it -- I've never had any problems uninstalling and installing it.

--Jatinder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back