windows soft to switch between audio outputs?
Jul 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

castleofargh

Sound Science Forum Moderator
 when it's only about toggling between outputs in foobar I just bind some keys as shortcuts in foobar and all is good.
but when I want to switch windows output, I use DefaultAudioChanger.exe, a simple exe that let me use a bind to switch between the outputs I select. it looks perfect but if the output is unplugged and plugged back in, I need to close and restart that .exe and go check that output as one of the desired ones in the toggle cycle. already less dreamlike behaviour right.

so I wonder if you guys know of something that would let me do the same as DefaultAudioChanger.exe(switch audio outputs with keybord shortcuts), but that would remember an outptut that has been unplugged and make it available when plugged back in?

thanks.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 3
   when it's only about toggling between outputs in foobar I just bind some keys as shortcuts in foobar and all is good.
but when I want to switch windows output, I use DefaultAudioChanger.exe, a simple exe that let me use a bind to switch between the outputs I select. it looks perfect but if the output is unplugged and plugged back in, I need to close and restart that .exe and go check that output as one of the desired ones in the toggle cycle. already less dreamlike behaviour right.

so I wonder if you guys know of something that would let me do the same as DefaultAudioChanger.exe(switch audio outputs with keybord shortcuts), but that would remember an outptut that has been unplugged and make it available when plugged back in?

thanks.

Maybe not well written software you have there. Does it take away device control from playback software? (When you select output device (other than system default) in foobar2k it should bypasss the selection done in system playback device panel) Does it help if you set the removable devce as default system playback device?

I could suggest System Playback device panel
biggrin.gif
 (run mmsys.cpl).

Anyway, maybe http://www.google.com is your best friend in querying this ...

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-change-or-switch-the-default-audio-sound-output-in-windows-vista-and-xp/

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 3
hey jiiteepee thanks for answering.
first, yes foobar is covered by foobar itself and in fact it's because foobar works so fine that I wished to have the same for windows in th first place(for video/firefox/games, all on one or 2 sortcut keys).

about DefaultAudioChanger.exe it has a few problems, but out of all I've tried it was the only non intrusive exe that worked as intended. well except if I happen to unplug/replug something. so that's still better than most of the softwares I tried up till now
frown.gif

out of the 8softwares suggested in your link, none did what I need. the only one who was supposed to, was vista audio changer, on the paper it does exactly what I need, let me switch between outputs with a keybord shortcut. but it crashes on me all the time (win7 64bit). I tried to install it as admin, I desabled my antivirus, tried to change the shortcuts(thinking maybe there was a conflict). but nope.

still you helped me find an alternative, I installed setsounddevice, that creates shortcuts but no keyboard shortcuts, and jut added those shortcuts to launchy's catalog. \o/
the shortcut obviously doesn't care if the dac is plugged in or not, if it's not it just doesn't work. problem solved! so thank you for the roundabout solution
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back